Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2004 8:07:36 PM EDT
From time to time, people here refer to 'unforgettable' images of Korean shop owners weilding ak style rifles.  Do pictures exist of this? I keep hearing about this incident, yet never seen any pictures of what they are talking about
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#1]

Two Korean men stand on the roof of a grocery store with rifles to prevent looters from entering the store, April 30, 1992, in Los Angeles.

www.asianweek.com/2002_04_26/feature.html
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#2]
While we are on the subject, anyone have a vid of the Glock welding Korean shop owner?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#3]
seeing those guys with rifles put a smile on my face, friggen looting assholes
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:30:42 PM EDT
[#4]
that was the only pic i could find
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:01:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I remember that !
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I remember the Federales going back after the fact and using the videos of those guys firing warning shots above the looters heads and prosecuting them....

Prolly not a good idea-my idea of a warning shot is that when the ghetto-goblin next to you in the riot gets his chest ventilated, your "warning" is that you are next.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I remember the Federales going back after the fact and using the videos of those guys firing warning shots above the looters heads and prosecuting them....

Prolly not a good idea-my idea of a warning shot is that when the ghetto-goblin next to you in the riot gets his chest ventilated, your "warning" is that you are next.

YOu have a very strange memory.

I lived in California then and NO SUCH THING happened.  For one thing HOW would it happen?  What FEDERAL law did they break.

But the state did not prosecute them either.  The State was afraid of being suied in retaliation.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I remember the tv news coverage.  There was 1 guy shown with an AK.  Most everyone else had shotguns and hunting rifles.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:05:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I remember a pic of a Korean on top of the roof of his store with an AK.  His store didn't burn or get looted either.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:42:25 PM EDT
[#11]
There were a lot of them doing just what you would do if the national guard let you stay behind!!

Protecting your possibles from looters!!

God bless them that still have that old time feeling!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:11:30 AM EDT
[#12]
"You hurry up and buy, you buy know"
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:52:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Even though I believe we should stop or at least limit imigration and close the door, I admire these americans.

And to them I say welcome aboard!  

I will never forget video of an asian man walking forward in front of his store with a Sig 220 or 226 blazing away at the scum who were trying to make him into a victim.  Very cool.  

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"  

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:10:32 AM EDT
[#14]
I saw one guy hold a HK91 where Bowers Wholesale was on Hill St.

A local KNBC channel 4 reporter in a chopper Ken Shocknec pleading for someone to call the PD because some guy was shooting a rifle on the roof. Of course LAPD never showed up and he just flew away.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:12:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Even though I believe we should stop or at least limit imigration and close the door, I admire these americans.

I will never forget video of an asian man walking forward in front of his store with a Sig 220 or 226 blazing away at the scum who were trying to make him into a victim.  Very cool.  

Zen

Most of those guys were not really shooting directly at the people, they were shooting at their feet to scarce the rioter away. If they really shot directly at them, the fatalities would've have been much higher just that the TV cameras didn't show that part.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:25:03 AM EDT
[#16]
The Koreans used a radio station to coordinate defenses. You call up the station and say help in Korean, the radio airs it and a car or two of armed bandana wearing koreans shows up to help. Gotta love it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:26:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Zen

Most of those guys were not really shooting directly at the people, they were shooting at their feet to scarce the rioter away. If they really shot directly at them, the fatalities would've have been much higher just that the TV cameras didn't show that part.

I kind of figured that.  And always wondered a bit.

I just admire them for having the balls in this politically correct world of ours to stand up and be men.

Zen

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:52:38 AM EDT
[#18]
The Koreans used a radio station to coordinate defenses. You call up the station and say help in Korean, the radio airs it and a car or two of armed bandana wearing koreans shows up to help. Gotta love it.

hahahah they still doing that?  cause if so whats the # i call?

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:41:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I remember a photo of one of the shop owners with an UZI carbine with a short barrel, I read somewhere that the ATF went after him for posession of an unregistered SBR.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:30:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I saw one guy hold a HK91 where Bowers Wholesale was on Hill St.

I recall that one. I hope he had a couple of cases of Hirtenberger ball and lots of mags.

Good thing about the Koreans is that all the men serve in the military, so they at least have seen a gun, unlike half of the males in this country.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#21]

This Korean-American volunteer showed up to help protect Korean-American owned businesses from the rioters.

California Market owner Richard Rhee returns fire at looters approaching his market in Koreatown, Los Angeles on the second day of the Los Angeles Riots.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
While we are on the subject, anyone have a vid of the Glock welding Korean shop owner?

I didn't know you could weld plastic.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:39:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:47:05 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Zen

I kind of figured that.  And always wondered a bit.

I just admire them for having the balls in this politically correct world of ours to stand up and be men.

Zen

Just a side note, since we are talking about the '92 L.A. riots. As a lot of us already know, the Koreans that did defend their stores, they didn't get burned down. The L.A. City council in its infinite wisdom, denied building permits for rebuilding for many of the auto repair shops and liquor stores that were destroyed, claiming that they had too many. A hard lesson to be learned, they lost a life time of hard work because many of them were on the older side and looking forward to retirement and sending their kids to college.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:47:06 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.kang.org/sajin/riotyouth.jpg
This Korean-American volunteer showed up to help protect Korean-American owned businesses from the rioters.

www.kang.org/sajin/riotrrhee.GIF
California Market owner Richard Rhee returns fire at looters approaching his market in Koreatown, Los Angeles on the second day of the Los Angeles Riots.

THOSE are the pics I remember.

Great Americans.

we need more like them...
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:59:29 AM EDT
[#26]
The lesson was well learned.  If there is a next time, there will be a lot more guns and more people patrolling the streets.  CA AWB aside, there are hundreds of AKs and M1 carbines with ammo ready to go.  My dad was in an SUV with other ex ROKs patrolling their assigned area.  They like M1s because thats what the older guys trained with.  One guy had 20 new MAKs and 20k of ammo at his gas station. Koreans in Korea dont have insurance and dont have the ability to get loans.  So what you have is what you have. You defend your property with your life.  The well being of your family depends on it.  The few Koreans that didnot want to fight or were underarmed got killed.

All males over 18 are drafted for 2.5 years.  When I turned 18 my grandmother got my draft notice and the MPs came looking for me.  Ha! my butt is an American butt and they gave up.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:03:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Funny thing is Koreans can't do this in Korea because in ROK private ownership of firearm is virtually banned.

I'm a ROK immigrant and glad to be here...at least we can defend under such circumstances.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:38:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#29]
I have the utmost respect for these men for what they did.

As a Marine who trained closely with the RoK Marines, I also have a lot of respect for Korean people in general. They are some tough bastards.

With that said, I can also say that I am not surprised that they stood thier ground during the riots.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Koreans can be pretty hard headed.  Lots of years fighting the Japanese and Chinese will do that to you!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:31:24 PM EDT
[#31]
I was so damn proud of them.  That was a shining moment in modern American History.  I've often thought that the NRA should have ran nationwide ads featuring that footage.    "Modern day Minutement"  "The 2nd ammendment protects you when the government won't................"  

Just the other day, my uncle asked me "why would anyone need an assault rifle"  All I needed to say was "remember the LA riots?  Nuff said.......  And it's easier than arguing the historical intent of the 2nd, or the pro/cons of cosmetic features.

Was anybody ever prosecuted on either side for that mess?  The media never covered much about it.  Anybody know?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:34:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I know the people who attacked Reginald Denny the truck driver, were all brought up on charges after being identified from the video footage.

I never heard anything about the shop owners though.

Being California, it wouldn't be a far stretch to imagine the shop owners being prosecuted for something, but even then I doubt anything would come of the charges given the situation.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Being California, it wouldn't be a far stretch to imagine the shop owners being prosecuted for something, but even then I doubt anything would come of the charges given the situation.

Nope, they were not charged, in my opinion, the govt would have a very difficult time getting a jury to convict. Many years later(more like 10 years) the guy Richard Ghee ran into all kinds of problems with Calif. Labor Board for not paying his workers overtime.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:41:19 PM EDT
[#34]
The Koreans  WORK, long hours.  Why should they be ripped off?  The police?  HAH!!  The police ran away!!!  And later (I suspect this was covering, but that's only conjecture) the mayor ordered the police to back off so as "not to make the situation worse."  So, why do the police exist in LA?  I can't really remember.  If anyone prosecuted the shop owners for protecting their shops after being ABANDONED  (Feinswine on crime:  "Why can't they call 911?")  they should shoot the prosecutor.  

The Koreans have been screwed enough in their history.  I don't think they grab their ankles any more.  My hat's off to them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, they were not charged, in my opinion, the govt would have a very difficult time getting a jury to convict. Many years later(more like 10 years) the guy Richard Ghee ran into all kinds of problems with Calif. Labor Board for not paying his workers overtime.

I'm sure glad they didn't get charged, that would have been an insult to injury.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:13:33 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
THOSE are the pics I remember.

Great Americans.

I also remember seeing a photo of a shopkeeper brandishing what appeared to be either an air pistol or a toy gun – like your average looter would know the difference!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I vividly remember one guy had an FNC-80
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

hahahah they still doing that?  cause if so whats the # i call?

I didn't personally didn't hear or see it, but there is Korean broadcaste UHF TV, that plead before the Korean public for more ammo during the rioting.
---------
Forgot to add, the rioting was not just confined to So. Central L.A., there were numerous incidences in the surrounding areas such as Long Beach(about 20 miles SE of L.A.) and Hollywood. There people who were armed with WWII M1 Garands, they had turned away a car full of gangmember when they came to one neighborhood. I read that in a gun magazine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top