Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/4/2005 10:14:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/4/2005 10:16:35 AM EDT by GeneralGenocide]
I've been more of a desktop minimalist for the longest time, but I think Konfabulator (with all the possibilities widgets provide) may have converted me at last. Properly harnessed, I can see this program enhancing everyone's productivity as well as helping n00bs understand it's really not that big of a deal to modify the Windows UI. Less system-intensive than running a shell, and so far appears to be quite a bit more flexible (not to mention stable). I'm impressed...anyone else have any input or screens to show off?

www.konfabulator.com/

What Is Konfabulator?

Konfabulator is a JavaScript runtime engine for Windows and Mac OS X that lets you run little files called Widgets that can do pretty much whatever you want them to. Widgets can be alarm clocks, calculators, can tell you your WiFi signal strength, will fetch the latest stock quotes for your preferred symbols, and even give your current local weather.

What sets Konfabulator apart from other scripting applications is that it takes full advantage of today's advanced graphics. This allows Widgets to blend fluidly into your desktop without the constraints of traditional window borders. Toss in some sliding and fading, and these little guys are right at home in Windows XP and Mac OS X.

The format for these Widgets is completely open and easy to learn so creating your own Widgets is an extremely easy task.

For the "skinning" crowd, Konfabulator is a dream come true. You can easily change the look, feel, layout, even functionality of a Widget so that it matches your lifestyle, your desktop, or the pants or skirt you have on that day.

edit-image fixed
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:16:02 AM EDT
Yep, I use it too. GREAT little piece of software.

Of course, I PURCHASED it, and then it went "freeware". Dammit! Same thing happened with me and Picasa. I purchased it, then it was acquired by Google and went freeware. Argh!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:01:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Gloftoe:

Of course, I PURCHASED it, and then it went "freeware". Dammit! Same thing happened with me and Picasa. I purchased it, then it was acquired by Google and went freeware. Argh!

You get a refund.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:05:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Penguin_101:

You get a refund.

Nope. I bought Konfabulator v1.8. The refund is for buyers of v2.0 or later.

Not that big of a deal. I LIKE the software, and I'm not pissed at them for partnering with Yahoo. Sounds like a HELL of a good deal for them.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:26:27 PM EDT
I'll try it!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:30:33 PM EDT
ok
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:57:51 PM EDT

Not that big of a deal. I LIKE the software, and I'm not pissed at them for partnering with Yahoo. Sounds like a HELL of a good deal for them.

Adware issues or is it okay?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:03:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By napalm:

Adware issues or is it okay?

On the Konfabulator forums, there's a guy from Yahoo that posts there. He states that (this isn't a direct quote from him, but from another user that is just restating what the Y! guy said):

Yahoo! represenative Jeffrey McManus has stated over and over again, along with the K crew that widget access will not prevent you from using other sites, there will be
NO ADWARE, NO SPYWARE, and will continue to support BOTH PLATFORMS and then some, with plans to support Linux, Cells/PDAs, and possibly TIVO.

IMO, I think it's fine now, and will remain that way.
Top Top