Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2004 4:28:55 AM EDT
NOW you had better behave! or he'll send you to bed without any supper!

"Annan rebukes law-breaking nations

Gary Younge in New York
Wednesday September 22, 2004
The Guardian

The UN secretary general, Kofi Annan, yesterday delivered a stern rebuke to nations that "shamelessly disregard" international law, explicitly chastising the United States, Sudan, Russia, Uganda, Israel and the Palestinians.

Mr Annan, who last week branded the US-led war in Iraq "illegal", told the UN general assembly that international law remained the cornerstone of global stability in a speech laced with many veiled - and at least one explicit - criticism of the US.

He said, just minutes before US president George Bush spoke, that the law "including security council resolutions ... offers the best foundation for resolving prolonged conflicts - in the Middle East, in Iraq, and around the world. Those who seek to bestow legitimacy must themselves embody it, and those who invoke international law must themselves submit to it."

On the opening day of a two-week session attended by 64 presidents, 25 prime ministers and 86 foreign ministers, Mr Annan listed "only a few flagrant and topical examples" of human rights violations and indifference to international and national laws.

He denounced terrorism in Iraq, violence in the Darfur province of Sudan, killings by both Palestinian suicide bombers and the Israeli state, the recent fatal hostage crisis in Beslan, Russia, and the actions of the Lord's Resistance Army in northern Uganda.

He also mentioned the human rights abuses in Iraq committed in Abu Ghraib prison by American soldiers. "In Iraq we see civilians massacred in cold blood, while relief workers, journalists and other noncombatants are taken hostage and put to death in the most barbarous fashion," he said. "We have seen Iraqi prisoners disgracefully abused."

Mr Annan argued that there was a knock-on effect when law was flouted. "No cause, no grievance, however legitimate in itself, can begin to justify such acts," he said. "They put all of us to shame. Their prevalence reflects our collective failure to uphold the law and to instil respect for it in our fel low men and women. We all have a duty to do whatever we can to restore that respect."

To do that, Annan said, "we must start from the principle that no one is above the law, and no one should be denied its protection.

"Every nation that proclaims the rule of law at home must respect it abroad. And every nation that insists on it abroad must enforce it at home.

"Today the rule of law is at risk around the world. Again and again we see laws shamelessly disregarded."

He said some nations had used the war against terrorism as an excuse "to encroach unnecessarily on civil liberties".

www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1309764,00.html
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:32:10 AM EDT
[#1]
HEY KOFI?

Do the letters "FO" mean anything to you?

Duplicitous assbag.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:32:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Kofi Annan just doesn't get it....never has, never will.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:32:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:33:03 AM EDT
[#4]
They should send him to Abu Garib
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:34:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Let me be blunt here...

FUCK HIM AND FUCK THE U.N.

and everything they stand for  

gonna have to start up the blue helmet shoots at Greater Pitt Gun Club again.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:35:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Kofi Annan should be arrested for crimes agaianst humanity.

He is a thief and anything he says is to protect his corrupt dealing within the UN.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:38:08 AM EDT
[#7]
One of the great evils of the UN is precisely how they go to bat for murderers like Saddam against free countries like the US and refuse to do anything about genocides in places like Rwanda and Darfur. Kofi Annan was promoted despite his complete failure in Rwanada.  That really tells you all you have to know about the UN.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:38:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
oh no!!

not the "stern rebuke"!!!

why...that's carries almost as much weight as getting banned from an internet forum!

Yes!…

…the awsome power of the UN 'stern rebuke'…

……now bow down before before the one you serve and tremble and weep!

ANdy
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:38:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Holy SHIT!!  Oh NO!!!  The UN is mad at us!!  They are going to send Peacekeepers into the US to keep us from causing more trouble!!!   I heard that they are calling on their only nation cabable of sending troops!!   The United States!!!

Oh

Wait...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:46:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey Kofi, kindly go FUCK YOURSELF!!!!

[I am Charging_Handle, and I approve this message]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:48:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hey Kofi, kindly go FUCK YOURSELF!!!!

[I am Charging_Handle, and I approve this message]

Careful with that language… or you'll get a "Stern Rebuke" …

ANdy
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:50:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Not the stern rebuke!  Anything but that!

Next thing he'll bring out is the comfy chair.

Gee...I wonder how many people were slaughtered in the Sudan before he issued his stern rebuke.  I bet the survivors are relieved.

This jackass is nothing but a criminal profiting from the misery of others and using the United Nations to cover his dirty deals.  He didn't give a rat's ass about the suffering of the Iraqi people.  He just wanted to make money from Saddam.

We have got to find a way out of the United Nations.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:39:34 AM EDT
[#13]
<yawn>

What Kofi means is people who disregard HIM.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:43:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Kofi Annan is a douche bag. I gaurantee he will want us to send aid and troops into the Sudan and north Africa to stop the genocide going on there. And yet, the UN are the same idiots that left the U.S. with international contempt because of our sanctions on Iraq prior to the Iraq War that THEY suggested. THEY suggested the Oil for Food program that was clandestinely used by neighboring nations like Iran to ship in weapons and other military aid, i.e. when they shipped 40,000 pencil sharpeners (I'm sure they did a lot of studying)? And then the UN expects the U.S. to do its dirty work and let us take the blame. I say, screw them... the rest of the UN needs to start pulling its weight. Until the citizens of other countries actually see what WE do to keep the world running, let them wallow without our aid. If they want to picket through the streets claiming our "Fascist Regime" and that we are "War-Mongers" (although I am not a War-Monger, I do support war and especially surgical preemptive strikes against our enemies) then let them feel the pain of terrorism and the aggression of other countries. Americans take the brunt of criticism in the world because we stand for what we believe in. We do not capitulate. We do not back down. We are the sons and daughters of the men and women who defeated the English in the Revolutionary War, the Third Reich in Germany, and the dastardly Japanese.

Tell Kofi Annan to suck it. Until other countries want to help out America then I say: let AIDs ravage Africa, let children starve in China, Russia can deal with its own Chechyns.

I want my country to help the world and I want my troops to secure my safety, which they do remarkably well, but I will not send them into harms way for other nations when those nations will not support us when the tides turn... or when something happens that they don't like.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:43:35 AM EDT
[#15]
The UN is a nice idea, but is the most corrupt, inept, and hippocritical organization on the planet....next to the Unite States Congress of course.  Talk about special interest groups!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:47:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I have somthing swinging in my drawers that koffie amen can give a stern re-puke to as he digests his oil for food program.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:50:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I think of the UN much the same as I think of muslims.

'Nuff said?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:01:54 AM EDT
[#18]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
oh no!!

not the "stern rebuke"!!!

why...that's carries almost as much weight as getting banned from an internet forum!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes!…

…the awsome power of the UN 'stern rebuke'…

……now bow down before before the one you serve and tremble and weep!

ANdy

Oh, no!  The next step is double secret probation!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you see the news clip of Dubya going up to Kofi at the UN & saying "Hey, Kofi, how are ya?"

True story.  I saw it on one of the news channels last night.

The best part:  Dubya "swaggered!"  I bet the liberals almost choked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top