Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2004 6:34:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:36:05 PM EDT
[#1]
DOT specification.  Must be red.  Must be a certain color of red.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:40:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The StoneCutters want it that way.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
DOT specification.  Must be red.  Must be a certain color of red.

Exactly.  The company I work for makes OE & aftermarket lights (auto, truck & trailer, industrial, motorcycle & emergency vehicle) & the DOT regs are your typical .gov overkill.  Color, minimum size, min/max brightness, material specs, etc.  I've seen plenty scrapped because the lens color wasn't 'quite' right even though most folks couldn't see any diff.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:50:02 PM EDT
[#6]
my guess is the same red help drivers concentrate on the road better.  if multiple shades of red were use  I can imagine that would be confusing at times of heavy traffic.  some drivers might confuse the different shades of red with distances of the vehicles.  theoretically speaking darker shade (of color) gave the appearance of an object to be closer while lighter shade look to be further away.  something i picked up in art history.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:25:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Actually, it's very unlikely that any two are "exactly" the same shade.
There really is no such thing as an "exact" measurement.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:30:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Same thing with stop signs......they are the same color around the whole country, same shape too.....

GTFOH....no WAY!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:31:09 AM EDT
[#9]
except for those weird purplish ones you see on hot rods
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:37:35 AM EDT
[#10]
It's part of the Tri-Linear Commission/Bildaburger/DuPage/UN World Wide Mind Control Conspiracy.  You see, we are all being programmed in a Pavlovian way to see that color and stop whatever we are doing.  When the UN takes to the streets to take over America, they will shine flashlights at us with that color of lens and we will be unable to stop ourselves from stopping.

It's all quite simple, don't you see?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:37:56 AM EDT
[#11]
The Bureau of Standards rules the country far more than any political party.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:45:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
except for those weird purplish ones you see on hot rods

They drill a hole in the lens and insert a "blue dot". A least that's how we did it in the old days. If the right cop pulled you over he would write a ticket for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top