Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/9/2002 4:29:24 AM EST
I'm looking for a good AR-15 gunsmith in the Southern California area, preferably around the LA area. Anyone know of any?
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 4:35:13 AM EST
why do you need a gunsmith ?? bring it to Arizona, we got a few good ones here.....
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 4:47:48 AM EST
Check out [url=www.egsw.com/gunsmith/index.htm]Evans Gunsmithing[/url] in Orange, CA. Evan was a USMC 2112 and knows the AR15/M16 inside and out.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 4:48:10 AM EST
Hey wait a sec....aren't those evil black rifles illegal in SoCal now? [;D] Sorry...don't live there any more. Plenty of smithies in Virginia though. Good luck anyway!
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:27:51 AM EST
Thanks Jarhead. It looks like Evans is the only place you can have work done on your assault weapons in southern Ca. Good thing I checked with Evans first. Otherwise, I was going to ship of my evil Ar out of state for services and been made a criminal. By the way, have you had any work done with Evans?
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:50:25 AM EST
You guys are a little bit mistaken....Here in Communist California if you LEGALLY registered your assault weapon, you can take it to any gun repair facility (gunsmith). Read on: CA penal code section 12285(c) reads: "A PERSON WHO HAS REGISTERED AN ASSAULT WEAPON UNDER THIS SECTION MAY POSSESS IT ONLY UNDER ANY OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS UNLESS A PERMIT ALLOWING ADDITIONAL USES IS FIRST OBTAINED UNDER SECTION 12286:" Then it goes on. Read down to section "(7)" of the code: 12285(C)(7): "WHILE TRANSPORTING THE ASSAULT WEAPON BETWEEN ANY OF THE PLACES MENTIONED IN THIS SUBDIVISION, OR TO ANY LICENSED GUN DEALER, AS DEFINED IN SUBDIVISION (C) OF SECTION 12290, FOR SERVICING OR REPAIR..." Now, if you're wondering what section 12290 says, specifically for "smithies" , read on: 12290(b)(1): "ANY LICENSED GUN DEALER, AS DEFINED IN SUBDIVISION (C) MAY TAKE POSSESSION OF ANY ASSAULT WEAPON FOR THE PURPOSES OF SERVICING OR REPAIR FROM ANY PERSON TO WHOM IT IS LEGALLY REGISTERED OR WHO HAS BEEN ISSUED A PERMIT TO POSSESS IT PURSUANT TO THIS CHAPTER." For gun smiths, they need a dealer's license, and a business license. (12290 (B)(i) & (ii). You can also ask "Bolsa Gunsmithing" in Westminster, CA (Orange Co) or King's gun works in Glendale (L.A. County). I believe they can also repair AR-15's. So far, every gun dealer I deal with, all have permits to possess and sell out of state assault weapons AND take possession of your weapon for repairs, provided it's registered. (ARM USA, Fullerton CA, Orange Co; Bolsa, etc...)
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:50:13 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 10:10:28 AM EST
Big Bear. I was thinking of getting a post ban M4 upper from Bushmaster and installing a comp on it like the ones from KKF or EGW. I was hoping to save some money on the shipping cost if possible. According to Evans, they said they would have to test fire the gun before pinning in the comp to see if it hides the flash. Why? KKF and EGW all have BATF approvals for their comps. Anyway, maybe I'll try Kings. Their close to me and have a good solid reputation.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 10:32:27 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 10:44:47 AM EST
You might be able to order a WHOLE new upper for your rifle, comp and all, for the price/hassle of having yours worked on. Check out new upper combos at DPMS...They have a TON of options listed on their website. I dont know if you can have one shipped to CA. It's like buying spare parts for your existing, registered rifle.
Top Top