Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/6/2004 11:42:47 AM EST
I was just wondering. There is a lot of discussion on defensive / offensive firearms but who carries or owns edged weapons. If so, what are they, what do you use them for and do you train with them?

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 11:48:49 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/6/2004 11:53:02 AM EST by M4]
Benchmade Stryker...Hands down, the best fold I have ever used.

Emerson CQC7 SpecWar...my second favorite...

Link Posted: 8/6/2004 11:48:59 AM EST
Emerson Commander
Emerson Raven
Emerson LaGriffe
Benchmade AFCK
Benchmade CQC7

Among others, but those are this weeks' favorites
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 11:51:28 AM EST
I have two that I constantly carry, a Gerber Covert and a Spyderco Police.

Both damn good knives.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 11:53:03 AM EST
I carry the Emerson CQC7 that I've had nearly ten years. On my gear is an Emerson / Neely Specwar. Sorry, no pics.

To the other question, anyone actually train with edged weapons?
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 11:55:37 AM EST
Good old Buck
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 11:58:48 AM EST
I've still got a Good 'Ole buck floating around somewhere I've owned nearly 30 years! That blade has has done its share of skinning over the years.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 11:59:14 AM EST
KBD1.......wife took the camera to California or I would post a picture.......nice knife.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:00:57 PM EST
Not familiar with the KBD1.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:01:37 PM EST
Kershaw Ken Onion
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:02:09 PM EST
Al Mar...

-Z
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:03:03 PM EST
Benchmade AFCK
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:03:09 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:03:29 PM EST
Depends...

Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:06:19 PM EST

Everybody should have a hobby making something.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:07:59 PM EST
CRKT M16-00K (plain edge compact tanto). I'm looking at getting a spear point CRKT M16 in the next size up, but the kerambit I saw in QS's thread the other day is making me think of saving for it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:10:51 PM EST

Originally Posted By peter nap:
pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/peternap/james+knive+22.jpg

Everybody should have a hobby making something.

Did you make that? Sweet looking but I'm not sure I could carry that on a daily basis. Does it come in folder?
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:12:04 PM EST

Originally Posted By SO-COM:
CRKT M16-00K (plain edge compact tanto). I'm looking at getting a spear point CRKT M16 in the next size up, but the kerambit I saw in QS's thread the other day is making me think of saving for it.

I saw that as well which is what prompted me to start this thread. I'd like to see one up close and personal.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:13:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/6/2004 12:15:22 PM EST by peter nap]

Did you make that? Sweet looking but I'm not sure I could carry that on a daily basis. Does it come in folder

I make folders too, I just don't have any pictures.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:15:27 PM EST
4'' folder with carved deer scene on the side.

- BUCC_guy
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:17:21 PM EST
Emerson or Spyderco
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:18:05 PM EST
If it's just a quick trip to the store I usually take this.

Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:21:05 PM EST
Gotta love the Kurka's!
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:22:15 PM EST

Did you make that? Sweet looking but I'm not sure I could carry that on a daily basis. Does it come in folder

I make folders too, I just don't have any pictures.

What kind of steel do you use and what tools do you use to shape and finish the knife. I've wanted to make my own for a long time but just never got the time.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:23:31 PM EST
Spyderco Delica
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:31:32 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:31:46 PM EST
OK, I've got a question. I often carry a simple folding pocket knife (in a pocket) with about a three inch blade, but it would take me a moment to fish it out and extend the blade. For practical purposes, wouldn't it be better to carry a strait edge blade (maybe 4 to 6 inch blade) on the belt?

I admit to not feeling totally confident with my folding knife. I worry that it's too short, isn't as strong as a non-folding knife, and not as accessable as it should be.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:33:25 PM EST
Benchmade Reflex here.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:38:02 PM EST
Kershaw 1550
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:42:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By Shane333:
OK, I've got a question. I often carry a simple folding pocket knife (in a pocket) with about a three inch blade, but it would take me a moment to fish it out and extend the blade. For practical purposes, wouldn't it be better to carry a strait edge blade (maybe 4 to 6 inch blade) on the belt?

I admit to not feeling totally confident with my folding knife. I worry that it's too short, isn't as strong as a non-folding knife, and not as accessable as it should be.

IMHO a 3 inch blade is fine. However, having said that, there is more to consider. Is it locking or not? You don't want to get into a knife fight and have the damn thing fold up your fingers. Look into some of the tactical folders being posted. Some you can get cheap but quality costs. Then get some training.

HTH.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:44:58 PM EST
kershaw Vapor by Ken Onion
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:47:49 PM EST
I have a bunch. My favorite fixed blade is my Mission MPK-Titanium 12. Favorite folder is my Masters of Defense, or my Benchmade; hard to pick just 1.

Also love my M9 bayos!
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:48:22 PM EST

Originally Posted By M4:
Benchmade Stryker...Hands down, the best fold I have ever used.

I carry one of those for work every day. of course, most of the "black-t" is worn off now.

I usually carry a Benchmade Mel Pardue auto the rest of the time. Very small & thin and easy to deploy.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:49:08 PM EST

What kind of steel do you use and what tools do you use to shape and finish the knife. I've wanted to make my own for a long time but just never got the time.

The steel depends on the knife. Mostly I use 5160 or 01.

I forge them and finish grind on a belt grinder.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:50:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/6/2004 1:06:40 PM EST by ultramagbrion]
Ive got knives like women have shoes................way too many(not)

For work the standard BuckHunter and a Gerber multi tool(and usually a mini-mag light)
And Ive found that when working its best to ALSO carry a 10 dollar cheepo in my pocket for the chuckleheads that still forget their own.(They aint gonna dull my Buck cuttin wire!)

Day to day carry I favor a nice Browning Barracuda I have with a tanto point and semi-serrated.Its made of nice Japanese steel and has a titanium liner-lock and holds a wicked edge.
If I think Im going somewhere 'iffy',Ill shove my Gerber MkII in my boot.
But always Ive got a small Buck 3 blade pocket knive for tape,rope and boxes.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:51:59 PM EST
I've been carrying a Benchmade Emerson Spec War Model CQC7 for the past 8 years.
It works so well for me that I can't imagine carrying any other knife.
Except when I fly, I never go anywhere without it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:52:13 PM EST
Kershaw Blur (assisted opener)
CR
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:52:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/6/2004 12:58:10 PM EST by Colt_SBR]

Colt_SBR

Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:55:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/6/2004 12:58:20 PM EST by AC_Doctor]
Chris Reeve Green Beret and DM Knives custom-made S30 camp knife... The DM Knives custom will cust through a CCA 4x4 in less than one minute... :)
www.dmknives.com/

Link Posted: 8/6/2004 1:00:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/6/2004 1:03:08 PM EST by LHD]

Originally Posted By Tactical_Jew:
I have two that I constantly carry, a Gerber Covert and a Spyderco Police.

Both damn good knives.

I have a Covert in the middle size which is hard to find now. I just got a surefire Alpha 1. The sure fire is now my people poker and the covert or buck oddessy is my box popper.

Surefire

Gerber

Buck
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 1:02:52 PM EST
If you havent seen one yet,the BUCK-Nighthawk is an awesome tactical fixed blade.And one hell of a bargain too.......I think I paid 58 bucks at Gander Mountain a year ago.It aint no ChrisReeve or Randall but it aint got the price tag of them either. I also believe you get what you pay for but once in a while..........

Would make a good blade for the bug-out bag!!

www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/288/234

Dont knock it till ya handeled one!
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 1:11:53 PM EST
I always carry my Benchmade 710SBT and my Leatherman Wave.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 1:20:32 PM EST

The steel depends on the knife. Mostly I use 5160 or 01.

I forge them and finish grind on a belt grinder.

I'm not a metalurgist so forgive me. You forge you own steel? How so?

I've wanted to make a heavy duty sheath knife for sometime and had always had in mind of making it from spring steel. Such as from an old vehicle leaf spring. I know it's hard steel and difficult to work with but I always thought it be as stout as you could have. Opinion?
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 1:22:45 PM EST
Thanks guys! A lot of good steel out there. Thanks for participating and keep 'em coming. My personal opinion is that edged weapons are OFTEN overlooked.

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 1:28:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/6/2004 1:30:13 PM EST by peter nap]

I'm not a metalurgist so forgive me. You forge you own steel? How so

I put the steel in the forge, get it hot, lay it on the anvil and hit it with a hammer,

This isn't me. I was taking the picture but it is a friend of mine at a hammerin this summer. If that impress you you should see us hammer out muzzleloader parts. Makes for a lot of profanity!
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 1:31:31 PM EST

Originally Posted By TeuffelHunden1775:

IMHO a 3 inch blade is fine. However, having said that, there is more to consider. Is it locking or not? You don't want to get into a knife fight and have the damn thing fold up your fingers. Look into some of the tactical folders being posted. Some you can get cheap but quality costs. Then get some training.

HTH.

You don't have to be concerned about the knife folding during a knife fight, I used to have a non-locking folding knife, and I was cutting some papers, it folded and I got cut. That is when I got a buck 110. The newer knives are a lot lighter due to the use of G10 & titanium.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 1:36:34 PM EST
Kershaw Ken Onion Leek and a Spyderco Civilian. Every day. Everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 1:37:56 PM EST

I'm not a metalurgist so forgive me. You forge you own steel? How so

I put the steel in the forge, get it hot, lay it on the anvil and hit it with a hammer,

This isn't me. I was taking the picture but it is a friend of mine at a hammerin this summer. If that impress you you should see us hammer out muzzleloader parts. Makes for a lot of profanity!
pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/peternap/mark+forge.jpg

That's good stuff, Nap. I'd like to get up there and see that first hand some day.

What's your opinion on the spring steel idea I've had?
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 1:38:36 PM EST
Gerber Gaterback
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 1:40:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By warlord:

Originally Posted By TeuffelHunden1775:

HTH.

You don't have to be concerned about the knife folding during a knife fight, I used to have a non-locking folding knife, and I was cutting some papers, it folded and I got cut. That is when I got a buck 110. The newer knives are a lot lighter due to the use of G10 & titanium.

Care to explain on not needing to be concerned about a non-locking knife not folding up? Myself, and other instructors I've trained with have a slightly different opinion but I'm always open to hearing new and differing opinions.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 1:55:57 PM EST
BTT
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top