Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2017 1:12:21 PM EDT
Headed there all next week for business.

Anyone have any insight on what is legal to carry? (If anything at all??)

My google-fu pulls up lots of contradicting info from swords are ok to NO NO NO!

Trip itinerary is Taiwan, HK then mainland China
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:14:18 PM EDT
No, fuck no.    
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:18:45 PM EDT
FPNI
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:19:10 PM EDT
You're related to that kid who went to North Korea?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:20:02 PM EDT
Try to stay out of the news.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:21:56 PM EDT
I would just pack my CCW in my check in and strap it on when I got to the hotel.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:22:46 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NickGunar:
No, fuck no.    
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:24:21 PM EDT
You need to check the laws but I believe knives like a Swiss Army knife are ok but locking blades will be a no go.  I would not carry any type of perceivable weapon there.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:26:21 PM EDT
Don't even think about it. Pretend you just got invited to the White House...could you bring a knife, pepper spray, etc...no.

China is extremely low crime, in terms of violent crimes, as harsh dictatorships tend to be.  I've been there many times, and if you use the slightest amount of common sense you'll be fine.

1. Make a couple photocopies of your passport, and don't carry it around with you.  Just carry the copy, leave the passport and all but 1-2 credit cards in you hotel safe. Your passport is probably the most valuable thing you'll have on you.

2. Take only crisp, brand new, $20 USD bills.  It is one of the hardest countries to exchange used USD in, in part because the entire process is hyperregulated, and in part because the North Koreans make counterfeit USD.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:10:09 PM EDT
Some of you guys are majorly paranoid.l and need to get out your basements more.

They sell knives on the streets in china (and swords and ninja shit)

Im more looking for blade length for pocket carry. Auto knife obviously, NO.

Swiss army is likely ok. But would prefer a single blade style knife.

Guess what...ive carried in the UK too

When you are out late at night in unfamiliar places sometime the risk is worth it
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:14:59 PM EDT
I love knife threads.  No doubt everyone practices their knife fighting skills religiously.   "500 rounds a week with the 1911 and three hours with the Kabar."

If I'm needing a knife to get me out of trouble, well, it's just a really bad day in my life.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:19:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By moshaholic2:
Some of you guys are majorly paranoid.l and need to get out your basements more.

When you are out late at night in unfamiliar places sometime the risk is worth it
View Quote
Good luck to you man.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:29:05 PM EDT
Carry a weapon in China? Sounds like a good way to get Shanghaied, lol.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:34:35 PM EDT
In before OP goes to Chinese prison.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:35:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/22/2017 3:35:48 PM EDT by p3590]

View Quote
I absolutely agree with that statement, however, it is not worth it in the places you are going, unless you are planning on a bunch of other illegal stuff while you are there. 

I have been to all of them, in the last year.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:36:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By p3590:
Don't even think about it. Pretend you just got invited to the White House...could you bring a knife, pepper spray, etc...no.

China is extremely low crime, in terms of violent crimes, as harsh dictatorships tend to be.  I've been there many times, and if you use the slightest amount of common sense you'll be fine.

1. Make a couple photocopies of your passport, and don't carry it around with you.  Just carry the copy, leave the passport and all but 1-2 credit cards in you hotel safe. Your passport is probably the most valuable thing you'll have on you.

2. Take only crisp, brand new, $20 USD bills.  It is one of the hardest countries to exchange used USD in, in part because the entire process is hyperregulated, and in part because the North Koreans make counterfeit USD.
View Quote
Leave shit in a hotel safe? Why don't you just hand it directly to the hotel staff with a smile?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:03:13 PM EDT
Anything over a three inch blade will get you into a Chinese prison, you don't want to go to a Chinese prison.

Watch this before you go:

Crime and Punishment in China
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:08:50 PM EDT
Im sure people who backpack in china dont even carry knives

18 countries so far carrying. Just haven't been to mainland China yet.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:08:56 PM EDT
When you get a arrested, make sure to tell the red cross your screen name so we will all know its you being sent to mongolian prison. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:09:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By poorman:
Anything over a three inch blade will get you into a Chinese prison, you don't want to go to a Chinese prison.
View Quote
That is more the info im looking for. Not paranoia
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:12:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/22/2017 4:13:48 PM EDT by DANNY1911]
Originally Posted By poorman:

Watch this before you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64X6My18LA8
View Quote
Don't they use the metric system?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:12:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By hvla:
Leave shit in a hotel safe? Why don't you just hand it directly to the hotel staff with a smile?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hvla:
Originally Posted By p3590:

Yes, I have been doing that for a very large amount of international travel. I have never had anything taken from a hotel safe.  I have also left passports, electronics, and cash at front desk safes, with a receipt.

I have had multiple pick-pocketing attempts, and I have two coworkers who have had passports stolen when NOT in hotel safes.  

What's more likely, the hotel staff in a decent hotel is going to steal your passport, or you're going to loose it/have it lifted on the street?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:14:05 PM EDT
China has low crime . Do you really want to be an example ?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:14:10 PM EDT

View Quote
After that check out North Korea.  I hear they're pretty forgiving.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:17:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/22/2017 4:20:59 PM EDT by DANNY1911]
From Wikipedia, so has to be true:

Due to concerns about potential violence at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, China began restricting "dangerous knives", requiring that purchasers register with the government when purchasing these knives. Included in the new restrictions are knives with "blood grooves", lockblade knives, knives with blades measuring over 22 cm (8.6 in) in length, and knives with blades over 15 cm in length also having a point angle of less than 60 degrees.[18] As of January 2011, according to an authorized Leatherman dealer in Beijing all knives with a locking blade are illegal unless they are part of a larger multi-tool like a leatherman.[citation needed] However, many people still carry locking pocket knives especially when camping with no issues. He suggested carrying locking knives in checked luggage on airplanes, and on your person in trains and subways since they could be confiscated if found in a bag. Foreigners are generally given a bit more leeway in China so if a traveler is caught with a small knife there will probably be no prosecution and at most confiscation.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:24:30 PM EDT

View Quote
Where are you going in China? 

I'm sure if you're backpacking with a SAK or Leatherman, you're likely fine.  If you're in Tienanmen square with the same, you are rolling the dice to some extent.

I've carried OC and knives into lots of places traveling where the risks balanced out, this is not one of those cases, unless you are actually going backpacking or working on a project where having a knife is reasonable.  Playing tourist, or going to a business meeting in a major city is not one of those times.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:41:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:

If I'm needing a knife to get me out of trouble, well, it's just a really bad day in my life.
View Quote
And your tactical decision making that day  sucked.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:44:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DANNY1911:

Don't they use the metric system?
View Quote
Lol that's a good point
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:47:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
I love knife threads.  No doubt everyone practices their knife fighting skills religiously.   "500 rounds a week with the 1911 and three hours with the Kabar."

View Quote
You will want that knife when the pitt bulls turn on us.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:49:05 PM EDT

View Quote
For those of us who do get out more, (read my location) we understand that just because they might sell something doesn't mean it's for whitey, and that if whitey ever uses it to kill their citizen then have fun getting murdered in prison.  The world is racist as fuck, maybe you can get away with it and maybe you can't. Have fun. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:54:41 PM EDT

View Quote
In before Chinese butt sex prison story.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:54:59 PM EDT
In a week or two can you start an AMA about being in a Chinese prison?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:58:34 PM EDT
Bird flu is more likely than crime to impact you....
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:04:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/22/2017 5:10:03 PM EDT by cm]
no weapons of any kind.

where ever you go, there will be people in the government spying on you.

if you are in any defense related or otherwise high tech are, don't talk about anything except generalities.

I would not worry about any crime, except for pick pockets.

that is, if you stay in the tourist areas. if you are going to deal with sketchy areas of hong kong because you have strange proclivities, I don't know what to tell you

edit - and don't take any electronics like a tablet or laptop, there, unless you plan to do a major scrub and re-install when you get back to the U.S.

edit 2 - and if you do take something there, make sure it is clean of any information you don't want the chinese to know
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:07:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:
I would not carry any type of perceivable weapon there.
View Quote
I've never been to China, but I've traveled internationally enough to know that local cops take a very dim view of armed foreigners just about everywhere.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:10:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/22/2017 5:39:58 PM EDT by sandboxmedic]
I've been to China twice and carried a knife most places both times.  I flew into HK, got my visas then took the ferry to the mainland for a month each time.  I did not carry a knife in HK but once I got to China I just bought a sharp but inexpensive lockblade folder at one of the numerous markets along with a Surefire style knockoff flashlight (there are lots of places that sell cheap martial arts stuff, lasers*, flashlights, etc).  Don't buy some large fighting looking knife, just something sensible like a Swiss Army knife, multitool, or something that looks like a camping tool.  Stick the knife in your pocket, not clipped to it, and no one will notice, even if they stare- and they often do.  The police were just starting to become armed when I was there (after that Muslim attack they had a couple of years ago) but none of them paid any attention to us.  If I ever felt the need to I could have dropped the knife and not worried about losing anything of value.  

I do this most places I travel then I usually either give the knife away or toss it in the trash when I leave.  Defending yourself can be a very risky proposition in other countries and often varies wildly depending on the nature of the crime as well.

*You can buy some of those high powered lasers that will ignite matches and tissue paper cheaply.  

ETA- I am not in any sort of industry that the Chinese are going to pay much attention to me and I didn't go in any government buildings or such.  I was also with people who lived there and were familiar with the way things were.  Use your common sense though.  Pickpockets are fairly common, especially in the train stations and on the trains where folks are packed like sardines, so take appropriate precautions by securing your wallet, passport, etc.  I always keep a small amount of cash in one pocket that I use to pay for stuff so if anyone is watching they don't see a wad of cash or my wallet (if I'm carrying one).
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:11:21 PM EDT
I usually just hit the local market and pick up some type of small kitchen knife.  They usually come with a plastic or cardboard cover on the blade.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:14:43 PM EDT
When my Parents lived there I visited several times, a couple things I learned:

1.) Buy RMB in the states or Japan, currency exchanges are a pain in the ass in China.

2.) Make color copies of your passport and visa and keep the original in a safe.

3.) If you use even the smallest bit of common sense, you'll be perfectly safe. Crime against westerners is punished so harshly it is essentially unheard of.

4.) Every price in negotiable.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:16:11 PM EDT
I'm heading to Taiwan in near future, and hope to visit China and Japan while in the area.  So far answers range from you're going to get raped to nobody cares.  That's a big range
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:16:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Alwaysright:

In before Chinese butt sex prison story.
View Quote
Yeah, but since he wont even feel it, is it sex?

Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:18:21 PM EDT
Been to all three spots. No No and Mainland China Hell No!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:18:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/22/2017 5:19:35 PM EDT by EdgecrusherXES]
Originally Posted By dillehayd:

I've never been to China, but I've traveled internationally enough to know that local cops take a very dim view of armed foreigners just about everywhere.
View Quote
I have traveled internationally SOA(all but 3 countries) and EUR all the way to Russia.  Most places with very few exceptions will allow folding non-locking knives (example Swiss Army Knife).  China I would check the laws because I do not know their laws never been never had a desire to go either.  For the most part non-locking knives are ok where I have been.

Also avoid activities that bring on the man.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:19:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HappyCamel:
View Quote
+1    
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:29:18 PM EDT
Pencil is okay.

Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:31:52 PM EDT
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife_legislation#China

Sounds like you'll be fine with a leatherman or swiss army knife.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:42:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HappyCamel:
View Quote
Lulz
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:48:05 PM EDT
I carried a SAK in Hong Kong and Shanghai in 07.

Heck, Victorinox had a shop at the airport.

SAK (Climber or Camper)  is my go to international travel knife.  Likely the most recognized knife in the world, as well as the most benign appearing.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:49:06 PM EDT
You might want to read up on self-defense law in China.  There ISN"T self-defense in China. My lawyer explained it to me after a lengthy  head-scratcher of a conversation with a Chinese lawyer.
If you kill, it is murder. Self-defense is not a defense under their law.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:59:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/22/2017 6:02:01 PM EDT by GunSafe]
The communist government in China can make you disappear. No knify and do not go to China unless you have to. They make up the law as the commies feel it suit the event.
Top Top