Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2013 9:53:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/18/2013 9:54:23 AM EDT by triburst1]
I lost the pivot screw on one of my carry knives. I called the manufacturer to see if I could either buy a replacement or get he specs on the screw so I could possibly find on locally. Their customer service rep told me that they couldn't send me a screw but they would replace it under warranty if I sent it in.

It's a $200 knife and an auto (felony to send through the mail) so I didn't really want to send it. She told me that they'd also clean and sharpen it, so I went ahead and shipped it at a cost of $18 though UPS.

After exactly 2 months, I got it back today. Screw replaced, no cleaning, no sharpening.

I appreciate them replacing the screw under warranty but between the shipping cost and the wait, I sure wish they had just sold me the damn $.25 screw.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:54:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:56:50 AM EDT
You just trying to get attention by not giving up the name. OK, you got us now give it up!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:57:39 AM EDT
Why didn't you just ask us?

Benchmade uses #2-56 threaded screws almost exclusively, and there's other options we could have referred you to.

PS--Amazon sells a 10 pack of #2-56 screws for 39 cents shipped.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:01:20 AM EDT
Spyderco doesn't roll like that, Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:02:42 AM EDT
Ginsu?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:03:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/18/2013 10:03:28 AM EDT by Laramie]
Originally Posted By CWO:
Spyderco doesn't roll like that, Just sayin'.

Neither does Buck or Kershaw IME. I've had warranty experience with all three and have been taken care of at no charge even on knives out of warranty.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:04:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Aimless:
Cough up the name

yes yes do tell. ?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:07:18 AM EDT
I'm not going to give the name until I see how they respond. I emailed them earlier to ask why it wasn't sharpened.

It wasn't Benchmade. I consider their customer service to be the Gold Standard of knife manufacturers.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:10:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By triburst1:
I'm not going to give the name until I see how they respond. I emailed them earlier to ask why it wasn't sharpened.

It wasn't Benchmade. I consider their customer service to be the Gold Standard of knife manufacturers.

I love my Benchmades. But their policy is to not service autos except law enforcement or military. That bothers me.

I'm guessing Microtech.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:10:46 AM EDT

You may want to re-read your post then.

Pointless thread is pointless - if you refuse to say who the manufacturer is.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:11:45 AM EDT
Ronco Knives?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:15:20 AM EDT
You talked to the wrong CS person. I had the same problem with the same company. I only deal with Dan at that company, he is the CS manager. He said it was a known problem, and fed-exed me 6 replacement screws, had them in my hand in 24 hours.

Remember, always ask for Dan at that company.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:22:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ar2de:
You talked to the wrong CS person. I had the same problem with the same company. I only deal with Dan at that company, he is the CS manager. He said it was a known problem, and fed-exed me 6 replacement screws, had them in my hand in 24 hours.

Remember, always ask for Dan at that company.

Dan the Man.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:23:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/18/2013 10:23:59 AM EDT by chmodx]
I should emphasize, I wasn't implying OP had Benchmade. Benchmade is exceptional.

I'm referring to Benchmade's common screw sizes as an example.

Rock on Benchmade, we love you.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:32:31 AM EDT

It's a $200 knife and an auto (felony to send through the mail) so I didn't really want to send it.
I guess UPS is out of the question
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:32:57 AM EDT
I lost the pivot screw on one of my carry knives. I called the manufacturer to see if I could either buy a replacement or get he specs on the screw so I could possibly find on locally. Their customer service rep told me that they couldn't send me a screw but they would replace it under warranty if I sent it in.

It's a $200 knife and an auto (felony to send through the mail) so I didn't really want to send it. She told me that they'd also clean and sharpen it, so I went ahead and shipped it at a cost of $18 though UPS.

After exactly 2 months, I got it back today. Screw replaced, no cleaning, no sharpening.

I appreciate them replacing the screw under warranty but between the shipping cost and the wait, I sure wish they had just sold me the damn $.25 screw.

Microtech?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:35:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By CWO:

You may want to re-read your post then.

Pointless thread is pointless - if you refuse to say who the manufacturer is.

Sorry, but I believe in giving a company a chance to make it right before blasting them online. The thread was created to blow off some steam and I do feel better, so it wasn't pointless for me. What is pointless, IMO, are threads that people create about a scratch on their new lower or whatever, without ever contacting the vendor or manufacturer.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:36:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AR15fan:

Microtech?

No.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:37:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TaylorWSO:

It's a $200 knife and an auto (felony to send through the mail) so I didn't really want to send it.
I guess UPS is out of the question

I did send it UPS and stated so in the OP.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:08:41 AM EDT
Stabco?
Top Top