Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/12/2004 2:43:30 PM EST
Just wanted to get a bit of advice from the group that probably has experienced the same thing. Recently, I had to get in and out of the back of a truck that was 4.5 feet off the deck, all day long. Needless to say, my 39 year old right knee is aching and swollen. This is day three, and I just finished a construction project that includes roofing (kneepads). The knee is popping a bit when I go from sitting to standing and kinda gets stiff after sitting a while. What do I do? Heat? Aspirin-creme? Wrap? Don't wrap? I am currently applying bourbon internally.

Thanks folks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:45:52 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:50:25 PM EST
They have these new fangled things called X-rays....you can find them at a Doctors office.

Check it out...

Take 2 chickens to pay the kind man ya hear?

<spits>

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:51:02 PM EST
I'd suggest some kind of OTC anti-inflamatory, like alleve - and maybe cool it down a little (icepack or something). But I AM not a medical doctor.

But, if you knee keeps bothering you - definitely see a doc. Here's my story. I injured my knee running in 2000. It hurt like a bitch, but I just stopped running for a few weeks, and after it started feeling better, I gradually got back to running. I was able to run again with no real problems (5-6 miles a few times a week) but I kept feeling a slight twinge in it every once in a while - but it was fine otherwise.

Fast forward a bit over a year and a half - and it starts to hurt again, and I go see a doc. It turns out that the original injury tore the meniscus (sp.), and had I seen a doctor at the time, it would have been a trivial orthascopic procedure, and I would have had no loss of anything - and could have kept running forever. Because I THOUGHT it was okay, and kept running on it for 18 months, I was damaging it further every time I ran, and it was a much more serious knee surgery. AND, after the procedure, my surgeon told me in no uncertain terms that my running days were OVER - and I would get really bad arthritis in the knee pretty soon.

So my advice to anyone is to NOT think that a joint is fine just because you can use it again. If you feel something might be wrong, get it checked out before you damage it more.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:55:23 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:01:39 PM EST
I know. The word is I will miss my knees when they are gone. I humped the 30 year GAF shingles onto the roof top, alone. 75lbs per bundle. 400 sq ft, plus rolls. Not to mention that I built the roof top, first. We had a GE OEC C-arm X-ray system in the shop, and that is what we shipped in the truck. Unfortunately, the truck is now in Florida and I can't take a free shot of my knee.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:13:32 PM EST

Continue bourbon dosage.
Ice for swelling. a diuretic or antihistamine (allergy medicine, naprosyn, even Midol) will provide some short-term assistance as well. Keep it elevated, stay off it. And an ace-brand knee wrap - the kind with an opening for the kneecap will help in supporting the joint, and in reducing fluid accumulation.
If it doesn't improve, or you feel any sharp burning pains, see a doctor immediately as it is likely you have some sort of ligature or cartilage damage.

I AM NOT A DOCTOR. THE ABOVE IS NOT QUALIFIED MEDICAL ADVICE. I'M JUST A SAP THAT'S BEEN THERE BEFORE.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:17:17 PM EST
Ice for 15 min at a time.

15 min on 15 min off while elevated.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:21:45 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:24:52 PM EST
Please go see a doctor. It amazes me that so many people seek medical advice on a firearms board. sgtar15 was right on the money. There is absolutely no way to tell what is wrong with your knee without it being x-rayed or examined by a medical professional.

Please go see a doctor.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:26:19 PM EST
I AM a doctor and I have no idea what's wrong with your knee! Without a hands on exam and a look, it would just be guesswork.

The treatment advice given thus far seems pretty solid, if you're still functional at this point. If you've been incapacitated (by the knee, not the liquor), get to a doctor. Anyone actually trying to make a diagnosis over the internet is either an idiot or stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

I will point out that I am not an orthopod though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:26:29 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:30:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:

Originally Posted By Palo_Duro:
Please go see a doctor. It amazes me that so many people seek medical advice on a firearms board. sgtar15 was right on the money. There is absolutely no way to tell what is wrong with your knee without it being x-rayed or examined by a medical professional.

Please go see a doctor.

you obviously have not had enough beer. I am now psychic and approching bullet proof.

That was completely my oversight - I yield to TBS.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:31:25 PM EST
Take it from an oldtimer with two knee replacements: Go see a GOOD doctor. Orthropod if possible. Fluid and sweeling ususally go together so a Doc is good!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:41:22 PM EST
800 mg of ibuprofen for swelling and pain. Go see a doc tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:11:48 PM EST
Rest
Iice
Compression
Elevation

Add some Motrine and you should feel better.
Top Top