Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2017 3:21:49 PM EDT
I am having electrical issues with my 09 klr650 and I can't seem to find my voltage regulator, would anyone here know where it is on the bike? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have searched online and I can't seem to find it...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:25:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Nvm, I seem to have found it, it is under my gas tank.. oh boy.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:20:23 AM EDT
[#2]
What kind of issues?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:33:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep we need more details OP.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#4]
You did use the KLR Factory Service Manual, right?  
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#5]
@LeadRX

Did you regulate yourself?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:17:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Lol, I found out where it it located through a YouTube video, unfortunately I have to remove the gas tank to get to it, and since the bike is a DD, I don't want to put it out of commission for too long, maybe I'll get into it this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:19:32 AM EDT
[#7]
The issues I am having range from allow voltage at my horn, to badly dimming/flickering head light.

When on low beam the light will dim to almost off, and then pulse back up to full brightness. The same will happen with my hi-beams.

My horn is only reading 9v across the terminals and is VERY quiet, like my iPhone can make louder sounds.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:46:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Before replacing the regulator, go ahead and troubleshoot the stator first.  Stator Test

Let us know what your results are from the test.

If your regulator is bad, do yourself a favor and upgrade to the newer style MOSFET type Shindengen rectifier.

I used the FH020AA on my KLR and my charging system has never been so good.  It actually charges the bike at idle where it would have been at a slight deficit before.

Here's a page that shows a bunch of different options

You're not close enough for me to help directly, but let me know if you need anything.

KLR650.net post about upgrading to this regulator.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 2:31:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Before replacing the regulator, go ahead and troubleshoot the stator first.  Stator Test

If your regulator is bad, do yourself a favor and upgrade to the newer style MOSFET type Shindengen rectifier.

I used the FH020AA on my KLR and my charging system has never been so good.  It actually charges the bike at idle where it would have been at a slight deficit before.

You're not close enough for me to help directly, but let me know if you need anything.

View Quote
Thanks, I'll be doing some work on the bike this weekend so I'll post an update.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:02:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I installed that same mosfet regulator on a Triumph, worth every penny.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top