Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/26/2006 5:38:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:40:32 PM EDT
Stainless is what I suggest. Easy to maintain.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:40:34 PM EDT
stainless steel
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:42:41 PM EDT
I have the white cast iron sink. It wsa a pain to get in because of how heavy it was. But you are right. only happens once.
Very nice. I scuff it quite often, and all it takes is some steel wool to clean up. I think it has held up well. We have had it for 2 or 3 years.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:51:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:53:06 PM EDT
Porcelain glazed cast iron sinks resist staining a lot better. Glasses break easier in a cast iron sink. There are other trade-offs as well.

If stainless steel is not an option, I would go with the cast iron sink.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:58:31 PM EDT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, alright - stupid question, but why not try the ol' hivemind...

We've had a white kitchen sink that came with the house and is now about 12 years old. It's showing it's age with metallic looking acratches and all. So I went to Home Depot and saw that there's two basic types of sinks in white: porcelain baked on cast iron, or acrylic. The sink we have, in comparison, appears to be enameled steel. Obviously any replacement sink we'd get would be superior.

One of the advantages of an acrylic sink is that it's supposed to be lighter, but that's not an issue for me as it'll only need to be installed once. More important to me are how it holds up to wear-and-tear. If anyone has one of these types of sinks, please let me know how it's held up. Thanks in advance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The stainless is superior but if its not an option the glazed cast iron is your next best option.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:59:43 PM EDT
Stainless Steel.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:01:13 PM EDT
Cast arrrn, all the way, baby. Well, unless you'd be willing to go Corian®.

BTW, I can make a stainless steel sink rust beyond recognition.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:02:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Just in case I didn't make myself clear in the original post - I was asking abut WHITE sinks, not stainless.

racist

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:09:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:19:48 PM EDT
Cast Iron, go with anything made by Kohler. American Standard sinks are made of Americast, basically just like your enameled steel sink, but with a little more enamel, and a composite backing to add strength, much better than enameled steel, but its not cast iron. Acrylic sinks aren't bad, but most are a glossy finish, and that is going to wear quickly leaving you a scratchy, matte like finish that doesn't look good. If your looking at an acrylic sink that is already in matte finish, just make sure it is pretty thick and you'll be okay. I still say stick with cast iron though, they've been around for a long time and still look great.....
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:22:18 PM EDT
We bought a cast iron Kohler two weeks ago. I would suggest you buy stainless. This sink scratches easily and is difficult to remove water spots.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:39:51 PM EDT
Porcelain glazed on cast iron resists staining better than acrylic (NEVER pour hot grease into any sink because it will clog the drain but in an acrylic, it is certain to mess the finish). But the acrylic can be refinished many times where the porcelain cannot easily be refinished. Sure, they make coatings but these do not last more than a few years and that is on a bath tub.

Porcelain will scratch and chip, especially if you have heavy pans and sharps in the sink. Best to get a soft liner to do dishes and save some wear.

Theoretically, it should be possible to refire a porcelain finish but alas, I know of no source. The firing temperature is a low cone so any commercial ceramic kiln would work. The only caveats are the sink might crack and if there is any edge corrosion, the finish will probably chip in those areas. The porcelain finish will reflux, restoring the finish and filling all scratches. It would be best to clean it before firing with HF acid, something the amateur should avoid unless they know what they are doing and have proper gear.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:42:19 PM EDT
Just remember, a gentelman always take the dishes out before you pee in the sink.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:43:33 PM EDT
I have an acrylic sink. It, uh, fit our budget better when we were remodeling the kitchen 11 years ago. It's a nice sink but you really can't put hot dishes in it like you can a cast iron sink, and it scratches pretty easy.

It's held up OK, I'm not gonna replace it but if I were doing a kitchen now, I'd do the iron.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:56:49 PM EDT
You might want to consider a brand of sink call Astracast. Very nice sinks, about the same price range as a cast.

Astracast sinks
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:16:06 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:36:15 AM EDT
Zhukov: How long do you plan to stay in the house, if you plan to move soon, I would get the cheaper SS, otherwise I would get the more expensive cart iron porcelain sink, they are much quieter. For porcelain sinks you should be very careful not to use the highly abrasive cleansing powders such as Comet etc. My feeling is that you should use those bath tube cleaning cleaning soaps, so you won't scratch the finish.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:26:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2006 6:49:53 AM EDT by jvic]
I have one of the Americast ones from American Standard and it's been good so far. Definitely seems like it might require more work (special cleaners) to get marks off, but I haven't had to do that yet. We got the one with one large sink instead of the divided one. It's nice since we use the dishwasher for dishes and don't need two bowls.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:51:05 AM EDT
Top Top