Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2004 12:38:06 PM EDT
Just saw him say it on channel 9. Ammo too.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:39:00 PM EDT
[#1]
huh?

How can the cheesedick do that?  Martial Law or something?  Man I love bing Texas more and more every day.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#2]
whaaaaa?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not even sure its legal. I know towns and cities cant have local ordinances that violate state laws regarding guns.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Well he can kiss-a-me right where I shit!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:12:11 PM EDT
[#5]
[sarcasm] I bet the Chief of Police will refuse this as an illegal order...[/sarcasm]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Never trust dumocraps.

Never.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:18:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Any members in Kissimee need ammo I'd be happy to help a brother out.
5.56,30-06,.308,.303,.38,.45,.22,9mm,.380,12guage. Let me know.

All I need is .22 and .38.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#8]
dont Flordians have something bigger to worry about rather than sales of guns and ammo right now?

like a huge frickin hurricane??!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#9]
At common law and under a statute I can't find right now, the executive authority of any area can suspend the sale of firearms, ammunition, combustibles, and explosives for the duration of a declared emergency. I found the one for the Governor, but there's another statute somewhere giving the same authority to local executives in similar circumstances. Other than the fact that it's stupid to forbid people from stocking up on arms & ammunition in anticipation of looting or other civil disorder, it's not a big deal, and it's been done in English-speaking countries (with the same lack of logic) for hundreds of years.

ETA: Found it.

870.042  Designation of local authority.--

(1)  The sheriff of each of the several counties of this state, or such other county official having the duties of a sheriff in counties operating under home rule charter, by whatever name known, shall be empowered to declare that a state of emergency exists within the unincorporated areas of the county and to exercise the emergency powers conferred in ss. 870.041-870.047.

(2)  The governing body of any municipality within this state may designate by duly adopted ordinance a city official who shall be empowered to declare that a state of emergency exists within the boundaries of the municipality and to exercise the emergency powers conferred in ss. 870.041-870.047. The designated city official shall be either the mayor or chief of police or the person who performs the duties of a mayor or chief of police in such municipality. In the absence of a duly adopted ordinance so designating the official so to act, the chief of police of such municipality is designated as the city official to assume the duties and powers hereof.

870.043  Declaration of emergency.--Whenever the sheriff or designated city official determines that there has been an act of violence or a flagrant and substantial defiance of, or resistance to, a lawful exercise of public authority and that, on account thereof, there is reason to believe that there exists a clear and present danger of a riot or other general public disorder, widespread disobedience of the law, and substantial injury to persons or to property, all of which constitute an imminent threat to public peace or order and to the general welfare of the jurisdiction affected or a part or parts thereof, he or she may declare that a state of emergency exists within that jurisdiction or any part or parts thereof.

870.044  Automatic emergency measures.--Whenever the public official declares that a state of emergency exists, pursuant to s. 870.043, the following acts shall be prohibited during the period of said emergency throughout the jurisdiction:

(1) The sale of, or offer to sell, with or without consideration, any ammunition or gun or other firearm of any size or description.

(2)  The intentional display, after the emergency is declared, by or in any store or shop of any ammunition or gun or other firearm of any size or description.

(3)  The intentional possession in a public place of a firearm by any person, except a duly authorized law enforcement official or person in military service acting in the official performance of her or his duty.

870.045  Discretionary emergency measures.--Whenever the public official declares that a state of emergency exists, pursuant to s. 870.043, he or she may order and promulgate all or any of the following emergency measures, in whole or in part, with such limitations and conditions as he or she may deem appropriate:

(1)  The establishment of curfews, including, but not limited to, the prohibition of or restrictions on pedestrian and vehicular movement, standing, and parking, except for the provision of designated essential services such as fire, police, and hospital services, including the transportation of patients thereto, utility emergency repairs, and emergency calls by physicians.

(2)  The prohibition of the sale or distribution of any alcoholic beverage, with or without the payment or a consideration therefor.

(3)  The prohibition of the possession on any person in a public place of any portable container containing any alcoholic beverage.

(4)  The closing of places of public assemblage with designated exceptions.

(5)  The prohibition of the sale or other transfer of possession, with or without consideration, of gasoline or any other flammable or combustible liquid altogether or except by delivery into a tank properly affixed to an operable motor-driven vehicle, bike, scooter, boat, or airplane and necessary for the propulsion thereof.

(6)  The prohibition of the possession in a public place of any portable container containing gasoline or any other flammable or combustible liquid.

Any such emergency measure so ordered and promulgated shall be in effect during the period of said emergency in the area or areas for which the emergency has been declared.

I suspect that's the authority for it, though it's probably being misapplied.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:41:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well he can kiss-a-me right where I shit!

Ditto
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Lesson to be learned: The govt can pretty much do what it wants. For the gunners, it is obvious you've got to stock up before something like this happens. Here in Kali-fornia, cities can make a law to stop selling ammo 5 days before July 4th and Jan 1, or any other day. The city of AZusa, Calif even bans ammo sale a few days before the Mexican independence day Cinco de Mayo(wtf). During our the '92 L.A. riot, the govt even stopped people from picking up their guns even after the 15 day waiting period. They had no legal leg to stand on but they did it anyways. So you've been warned.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Just saw him say it on channel 9. Ammo too.

That chump must be retarded !!!
If he were my Mayor I would do everything in my power-money,vote,etc.- to have him DEFEATED come election time
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:52:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
dont Flordians have something bigger to worry about rather than sales of guns and ammo right now?

Life will go on AFTER the cane and the looters will be out in force. People need to protect themselves and their property.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I wonder what they could do to you for violating the order? I don't see any punishment listed in there.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Most people in Kisssimee don't need additonal firearms, and I am sure have a generous cupbord full of ammo.

fairly blue-collar "not gunna steal my property" types

plus the mayor, or whoever he is, just sealed his fate in the next election
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Would it include private sales?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I wonder what they could do to you for violating the order? I don't see any punishment listed in there.

870.048  Violations.--Any violation of a provision of ss. 870.041-870.047 or of any emergency measure established pursuant thereto shall be a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. [Up to 1 year and/or a $1000.00 fine.]

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:05:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, it's stupid as hell, but I don't think it's that big a deal. If you want to have guns and ammo to fend off looters after a hurricane, you should have it long before the night before the hurricane hits. There's really no excuse for it - everyone knows these things are on the way at least a couple of days in advance. If anything, it could be an advantage for our side - people who want to protect themselves in case of a natural disaster will figure out that they have to be prepared to do so before that disaster hits, and will buy guns.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Lesson to be learned here children...

When you need them, they won't be for sale.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Would it include private sales?

Apparently so. In a statute, "any" means "all" or "every."
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:08:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#24]
There is ammo for sale all over Florida, I never liked Kissimee, little stepsister to Orlando, I am sure you can get in your car and drive 5 minutes about as long as it takes to leave Kissimee and stock up on whatever you need, in fact I think there is a gunshow up there this weekend....
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Kissimee is in Flordia not Kalifornia - liar! If you're waiting until the shit is hitting the fan to figure out the lesson of life that you need a weapon ... ya' know you just might be too fricken stupid to own one at such at time

That explains it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:16:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Stupid mayor.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO, after the Hurricane has passed

And then the looters have a field day, or so they thought.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:21:12 PM EDT
[#28]
ive heard that some wally worlds have even taken the guns and ammo off thier shelfs!,,,i think it wa sin lake city im nottosure,, it was a few days ago that a buddy told me,, and so did someone else

personally,,if yer gonna wait till the night before a cane to buy a weapon to protect yerslef your a FOOL.... go run for a shelter ,,leave the state,,or stay put and cry in your home,,,

your main job before/after and during a cane or any shtf, is to protect YOURS and yours alone,,screw everyone that trys to change that.    Only tards and the freaked out un-prepared types are the ones runnin down to the store to buy stuff now,, i got my extra 12g stuff 4 days ago!!! when everyone thought we were safe!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Bass Pro is 15 miles up the road, no biggie.  Folks should really have some stuff handy in quantity for situtations like this.  You know, be able to get together with your neighbors and defend the hood.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:01:34 PM EDT
[#30]
That sucks, but any smart person should have had their shit already.
It's called "PREparation" for a reason.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:06:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:07:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
plywood...check

bottled water...check

belts for the browning 1919...check!

ITS COMING RIGHT AT YOU CAMPY!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:16:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I dont get it, what good would banning the sale of firearms during a hurrican do???   So now people who want to protect themselves if looting occurs cant now???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top