Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2002 11:07:49 AM EDT
Did anyone see King of the Hill last night ? It was full of portrials of gun owners as idiots. Also one of the main characters who is a member of the local gunclub and is shown with a gun in every scene is a convicted felon.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#1]
they had an episode where the dad and son shot in a father son shooting match. not totally anti.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm just talking about last night's episode. It was chock full of the kind of bs about gun owners that the antis love.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 11:41:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I have generally found "King of the Hill" to be PRO-GUN and pro-family values. In many episodes I see a healthy use and respect for guns. My favorite episode is the father and son fun shoot. I also liked the episode about Bobby's first hunting trip. Remember, the "Dale" character is an idiot and thus does idiotic things.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I saw the episode last night... what you're missing is that the show portrays ALL the characters as morons, every single one.  There were some good points, like when dumbass had the AD, and everyone at the gun club snubbed him for the safety violation.  I don't think that they were categorizing all gun owners as morons, just Dale form the show.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 12:10:46 PM EDT
[#5]
What about the felon who had a gun ?

What about how all the members of the club helped the criminal hold the guys hositage ?

The message I got was this: gun owners are stupid, will conspire to commit crimes, and will elect known criminals to be their leaders.

I think thats about as anti as you can get.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't think so, Dale's supposed to be a weirdo tinfoil type who's an easy target to be made fun of.

Also the hunting episode and the shooting competition as previously mentioned.

(are "canned hunts" really that bad as what they showed? just curious, we have some kind of contest at work right now where they are giving away 5 out-of-season guided turkey hunts)

They're not gonna put my yearbook picture all over THE CNN!
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#7]
King of the Hill seems pretty pro gun to me. Like the other guys said, Dale is just supposed to be an idiot. You need to watch Titus to see anti gun "oh I'm sorry I don't need a gun, I have a penis" or that other show. What is it called? It is always biased against guns, only talks about guns that are owned by criminals? Oh yeah, the news!
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What about how all the members of the club helped the criminal hold the guys hositage ?

The message I got was this: gun owners are stupid, will conspire to commit crimes, and will elect known criminals to be their leaders.

View Quote

You definately make a point.  But are we so sensitive that we can't be made fun of?  If you feel that strongly about it, you could organize a boycott.  You could get tips from NOW about how to look like a victim and show how subjugated gun owners are.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 2:09:22 PM EDT
[#9]
You should keep in mind, that Mike Judge is also behind Bevis and Butthead.  His sense of humor has always been real abrasive.  His intentions were probably meant to poke more fun at "Texas Redneck" sterotype than gun owners. The whole humor of the show is based upon taking a stereotype or flaw and pushing the envelope.

Other Sterotypes that have been exagerated negatively in the series are Substitute Teachers, Asian immagrants, Hair Dressers, Hispanics, Pimps, Car Salesmen, and World War II vets.  So if you haven't been dissed yet, those asshole will probably get to you sooner or later.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

You definately make a point.  But are we so sensitive that we can't be made fun of?  If you feel that strongly about it, you could organize a boycott.  You could get tips from NOW about how to look like a victim and show how subjugated gun owners are.
View Quote

No I don't feel that strongly about it as I can take a joke. I'm actually surprised that no one else posted this before I did and made a big stink about boycotting the show.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top