Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2009 4:04:46 PM EDT
Diesel heads - a local parts shop claims that some (quote, "many") 98-01 5.9L CTDs have the killer dowel pin problem. I've always known the 12v engines do, but this was the first time I had heard of the 24v engines having the same problem.

Is this BS or is my engine susceptible to the KDP?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#1]
there was a writeup in a Diesel power mag on this subject and i thought it was just on the 12v engines. ill try and look around for that mag.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#2]
12V only...... They're steering you wrong...
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:14:11 AM EDT
[#3]
i know absolutely nothing about diesels but taking advice from a parts store guy is about as dumb as taking advice from a gun store commando.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:17:31 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/

Tons of info here.

If I recall correctly, the 24V were not affected by it.  I had a 2001 before I traded it in last year.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:32:03 AM EDT
[#5]
The KDP issue primarily afflicts the 12v engines, but it has been known to occur in 24v engines as well. An improved timing case with blind dowel pin holes was introduced in 1998, but for some reason the older style cases were also used all the way up until 2002. The only way to know which style case you have is to pull the timing case cover off and take a look. At which point, assuming you find the older style timing case, you might as well do the KDP preventative maintenance while you are already in there.

Personally, for what relatively little effort it takes to remove the timing case cover, inspect the case and, if necessary, tab the KDP compared to how much damage can occur if the KDP lets go, it seems like a no brainer to just do it. Took me about 4 hours of wrenching and $60 worth of parts to eliminate the KDP in my 1997 Dodge Ram 12v CTD.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:46:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i know absolutely nothing about diesels but taking advice from a parts store guy is about as dumb as taking advice from a gun store commando.

I lol'd.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:13:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
12V only...... They're steering you wrong...

Check out the Turbo Diesel Register web site forums tdr1.com. The site/magizine is indespensible for a Cummins CTD owner.

There has been killer dowls that have taken out atleast a few 2002 24v cummins. There was a redesigned timing case cover with a protrution that was to keep the dowl inplace. When the engines were built Cummins used up the old covers first and some 2001-2002 24v engines got the old covers and there has been some 01-02 24v engines that have been taken out by the KDP.

That said there is no way with out taking off the cover if your engine has the new cover with the protrution. Best bet would be to have it checked out and either tabing the KDP or assuring that you have the updated cover.

While the cover is off make sure you remove, clean, retorque and loctite the 5-7 case bolts that are in the timing gear case. these can work themselves out and take an engine out also.

I used to think that it was a 12v engine problem only, then I spoke with some guys who have early 24v engines all the way up to guy with a 2002 that was FUBAR'd by the KDP.

First project for my 01.5 2500, I have on the list when the weather breaks is to take three hours and remove my timing case cover and check the KDP and ensure that it is not gonna fall out, either by confirming that I have the updated cover or by tabbing the dowl. I'll also take care of the bolts while in there. Should take about 3 hours and cost less than 30 bucks to take care if it all.

Hope this helps
J-
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:11:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds good guys. Might as well open her up - should make for a fun afternoon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top