Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2017 2:12:46 PM EDT
Any cartridge that only requires a barrel change in the original AR15 platform intrigues me.

and a 87grain bullet at 3000FPS seems pretty cool.

Has anyone here shot a deer or hog with this round and how did it fair.

It is about the same as a 250 savage which is a fine deer cartridge but sometime the tale of the numbers does not equal real world performance.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:21:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Any article that talks about how week the 30-30 is does not carry a bunch of weight with me.

30-30 has killed all sort of game and is one of my favorite go to cartridges.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:26:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I've seen a few of them come through work. It kills pigs well enough, but 5.56 does too. I think I'd go with 6x45 if I had to pick one or the other.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:27:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Any article that talks about how week the 30-30 is does not carry a bunch of weight with me.

30-30 has killed all sort of game and is one of my favorite go to cartridges.
View Quote
True story.

TFB also has a history of spewing dogshit that goes against the grain just to drum up controversy and the exposure it brings.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#5]
87 grains in .257 is more of a varmint weight bullet.  I'd rather have a well constructed heavier bullet at a lower velocity for deer sized game.  Even at 120 grains and 3000 fps; I wasn't entirely happy w/ standard cup and and core bullet performance.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
87 grains in .257 is more of a varmint weight bullet.  I'd rather have a well constructed heavier bullet at a lower velocity for deer sized game.  Even at 120 grains and 3000 fps; I wasn't entirely happy w/ standard cup and and core bullet performance.
View Quote
I am confused you have shot deer with it and it sucked or did not perform that good?

Or are you looking at the numbers and thinking it would not be a good cartridge?

Either answer is acceptable I am just curious of your views.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#7]
.338 Specter is what you seek Burn..
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Look into the .277 Wolverine for just a deer ready cartridge that requires only a barrel change.  Mad Dog Weapon Systems 277 Wolverine
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
.338 Specter is what you seek Burn..
View Quote
SSSSSSHHHHHHHH
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I am confused you have shot deer with it and it sucked or did not perform that good?

Or are you looking at the numbers and thinking it would not be a good cartridge?

View Quote
I've used a 25-06  for deer.  It worked well except that standard cup and core bullets(120 grain Win. PEP) seemed a little fragile if you happened to catch a large bone or joint.  I would expect the 25 sharps to work just like the 250 Savage(w/ 87 gr. bullets).  However I would personally choose  to use heaver for caliber bullets.  I would also use premium bullets on game in any loading that has high velocity or in which the caliber is smallish or low sectional density for it's intended target.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Would you like to invest in a brand new proprietary chambering with next to zero ammo availability that can barely reach the performance level of a 100 year old cartridge and then only with lightweight varmint style bullets out of a 24 inch test barrel?

"Does it fit in an AR?"

It does.

"Shut up and take my money!"

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:42:33 PM EDT
[#12]
The 87gr bullet is a direct result of them pushing to achieve the 3000fps milestone for a production cartridge with the 250-3000 Savage from a 24" barrel.

I looked at 25 Sharps, ran all the ballistics (3000fps with 87gr is from a 24" barrel), then looked at my 6.5 Grendel data, and realized it offered nothing other than use with existing AR15 bolt and normal AR15 magazines.

90gr TNT from Federal does 3000fps from 24" Grendel, and 2890-2905fps from 18" Grendel, with much lower working pressure.

I think the 25 Sharps would have made a nice .257 Bore Service Rifle Cartridge, but the case design suffers from limited ogive length constraints.

The 5.45x39 case or something similar would be a lot better as a starting point for optimum small bore in the AR15.

It will kill medium game all day long with the right bullet and shot placement through the vitals or CNS, no miracles there.

I wish the SPC case would have been chambered in a .257 bore, since .257 is the most neglected bore diameter with practical use for hunting and target.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've used a 25-06  for deer.  It worked well except that standard cup and core bullets(120 grain Win. PEP) seemed a little fragile if you happened to catch a large bone or joint.  I would expect the 25 sharps to work just like the 250 Savage(w/ 87 gr. bullets).  However I would personally choose  to use heaver for caliber bullets.  I would also use premium bullets on game in any loading that has high velocity or in which the caliber is smallish or low sectional density for it's intended target.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Would you like to invest in a brand new proprietary chambering with next to zero ammo availability that can barely reach the performance level of a 100 year old cartridge and then only with lightweight varmint style bullets out of a 24 inch test barrel?

"Does it fit in an AR?"

It does.

"Shut up and take my money!"

View Quote
I have a lot of guns and I reload wildcat rounds from time to time...
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:45:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Never heard of it but sounds kind of neat but limited use relative to their cartridges.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Read up on the history of the Savage 250-3000. 3000fps was a magic velocity so the engineers at Savage kept decreasing the bullet weight till they achieved 3k. Hence the 87gr .25 caliber bullet. That combination would kill deer but bullet placement became critical and hitting a rib could result in a list deer. So most hunters reverted back to 117gr loads at around 2750fps.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I shoot deer with a .257 Roberts 120gr Sierra Game King at 2850fps.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm underwhelmed by it.  I think "just a barrel change" is mostly bullshit, and you might as well buy a bolt and shoot Grendel, unless Bill Alexander personally took a leak in your cereal or something.  (Then I'd probably get a 6.8).

Having reloaded a bunch of .257 Roberts and 6.5x55mm, there are a hell of a lot more choices (IMHO) in good 6.5mm bullets.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm underwhelmed by it.  I think "just a barrel change" is mostly bullshit, and you might as well buy a bolt and shoot Grendel, unless Bill Alexander personally took a leak in your cereal or something.  (Then I'd probably get a 6.8).

Having reloaded a bunch of .257 Roberts and 6.5x55mm, there are a hell of a lot more choices (IMHO) in good 6.5mm bullets.
View Quote
You are assuming I don't own either of those cartridges already.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:59:28 PM EDT
[#19]
A friend of mine built one.  Hasn't shot it yet.  Looking forward to chronographing some rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top