Link Posted: 11/21/2008 10:53:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Kill them all
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't get it.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 10:55:52 PM EDT
[#3]
The motor oil and carb cleaner line is gonna break some hearts around here.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:00:05 PM EDT
[#4]
AMEN!!!

Some of the shit I'm seeing these days on the re-set program is mind-blowing

I've had BBL's that looked "Almost" "Chromed" after some troop used Carb' cleaner and then applied a few hours of hand-work to it!

I go through ALOT of SFL BTW.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:03:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Carb cleaner is the devil, hmmm...
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:05:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't get it.

Weren't in the Army, were you?  Or Marine Corps.

Yep, DS Clark SHOWED us how to "clean the flash supressor" and the carrier with the firing pin.  And on the A1 and A2, we removed the flash supressor.  Some even pulled the FCG out.  Got it back together correctly.

Now there was this one soldier that lost his cam pin.  And he was going to shoot WITHOUT IT!  And I talked him out of it.  We found it, in the grass.  Dumbass.

Now the morning before the down range feedback range, we had a flood.  Pup tents COMPLETELY COVERED in flood water.  M16A1s floating muzzle down in sandy water.  I begged and pleaded with the Drill Sergeants for time to CLEAN THE BARRELS, most of which were PLUGGED WITH SAND for at least 2" beyond the flash supressor.

Got my ass CHEWED for that.  But we didn't lose a single rifle that day.  No medal, no honor.  Just made myself a target for Drill Sergeant abuse.  Yeah, FUCK YOU DRILL SERGEANT WITHROW!  Fuck off Baterna.  Fuck you Wildman Clark, you non-infantry heli mechanic  And for you, Drill Sergeant Parr.  Up yours!

Those flashbacks from the hazing still are with me.  Go fuck yourselves you worn-out douche-bags.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:06:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Was that comic actually made by the Army? Reminds me of those WWII comics.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:07:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

YEP.  That be the official comic of the DA 2404!
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:08:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Is that Gun Scrubber the same as carb cleaner?   Im curious.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No.  Carb cleaner is some NASTY STUFF.  It is damn near paint remover.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:11:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  Carb cleaner is some NASTY STUFF.  It is damn near paint remover.

Thank God!  I only use a quick burst of that shit to clean my barrell anyways.  But I almost had a stroke cuz it smells the same.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:14:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I've said it too.

When white glove goes wrong...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=254229
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:25:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Good post for GD.  

Though they may not admit to it, you can bet your last dollar we have our share members who believe the rumors listed in that comic.

I am suffering flashbacks...see my posting above...

No Everclear tonight.  Think it is DTs?

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:36:18 PM EDT
[#15]
The only one of those I've ever even heard of was using brake cleaner or lubing with motor oil (but that was Afghans with AKs).

I used gun scrubber one on a Tantal after shooting corrosive ammo through it. I thought I was being really thorough. It ate the finish right off. Now I only give my weapons a "good enough" cleaning after a class or a half dozen or so trips to the range.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:46:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Yup Motown is sure did eat the finish up GOOD off of that poor Tantal...  

But it is STILL my favorite truck / trunk Carbine!  

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:56:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Hmm........ so chucking up a chamber brush in the drill and attacking booth ends of the barrel is probably a no go.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:57:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I can still remember the large breasted women featured the Army PM comics in the early 80s.  (I started out in the ARNG before getting smart and going Navy).  It is funny to see the transition from the fully endowed ladies in the comics to the ones today.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:59:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Our shop has a library of those (As does ANY unit-level+ troop) "Comic books".

They're a great recource because changes (And MWO's) show-up in them before the changes in the -10's and 12&P's do

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:02:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I can still remember the large breasted women featured the Army PM comics in the early 80s.  (I started out in the ARNG before getting smart and going Navy).  It is funny to see the transition from the fully endowed ladies in the comics to the ones today.

As someone who's "Suffered" His entire life with an almost "Infantile" preoccupation with large breasts I fail to see the problem here[>:/]

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:12:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hmm........ so chucking up a chamber brush in the drill and attacking booth ends of the barrel is probably a no go.

That was a "Ranger Rick" trick to speed clean an AR...  

I still remember the first time I came across one of my unit doing that...  My response as "Seismic" (about a 7.2 if the bystanders were right) was the result!!!

Oh the SH!TTY "Pearls of Wisdom" that keeps getting passed down...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:18:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Subnet's cleaning routine:

Field strip.

Hose everything out with non-chlorinated brake cleaner. Observe as the carbon comes right off (see why on lubricating step, later)

Run a wet patch with Shooter's Choice (or Hoppes, or...) down the barrel.

Follow with a brush.

Run a couple wet patches.

Follow with a brush.

Run a couple more wet patches, and a dry one. Call it good (go chrome, or go home).

Slather some Mobil1 on the bolt, and carrier. A little dab'll do ya.

Put it back together.

Function check.

Done.

I can't believe how well Mobil1 suspends the carbon. Most of it just wipes right off. The little bit that's left on the rear of the bolt? Fucking leave it there. Who bothers to scrape this off, and for what reason?

Some people make this a LOT more complicated than it needs to be.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:26:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm a non chlorinated brake cleaner user myself.  I've also had occasion to use synthetic motor oil on the bcg but it's certainly not a regular thing for me.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:29:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
As someone who's "Suffered" His entire life with an almost "Infantile" preoccupation with large breasts I fail to see the problem here[>:/]

Funny.  I suffer from the same affliction...
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:30:05 AM EDT
[#25]
what about shaving cream and taking your m16 in the shower with you?, or is that your boots I forget.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:38:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
what about shaving cream and taking your m16 in the shower with you?, or is that your boots I forget.

Yep. I've seen people try to use shaving cream before. Never saw them use water until I was at PLDC near the end of the course. I walked into the bathroom and found a guy with shaving cream and his M16 stripped apart in the utility tub.

When I saw the thread topic I thought it was going to be PS magazine giving bad advice, but that actually brings up a lot of common BS beliefs I've seen in the Army. Unfortunately, you can't fully expect the Soldiers to stop cleaning with ridiculous methods when you have inspectors checking for cleanliness of ridiculous standards.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:40:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I soak the BCGs in Mobil 1and use Mil-tech.  Oh and I use CLP as well.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:41:20 AM EDT
[#28]
It's funny; I am a civilian, and I'm always buying military surplus that I paid for first with taxes. LAW oil works great in cold weather, and this "Rifle Bore Cleaner" that came in O.D. cans works great with black powder guns.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 1:32:58 AM EDT
[#29]
When I was at PLDC, we were required to have our chambers worked over with a chamber brush chucked in a drill before we turned them in.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 1:36:16 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Mobi1 does not harden in an AR-15, and that's a fact. No idea what the deal is with whatever it is they pour in military vehicles.

And seriously, who uses carb cleaner? Non chlorinated brake cleaner is extremely common (and fine), but carb cleaner?

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 1:45:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
When I was at PLDC, we were required to have our chambers worked over with a chamber brush chucked in a drill before we turned them in.

And this is where a lot of this shit has started. If you cant return a weapon to the arms room because of a dickhead wearing white gloves, what are you gonna do? I know that right before I got out of the guard, a friend of mine in the motor pool showed me how they did there rifles. Large parts solvent tank, and used compressed air to dry it. Yea they were clean, probably cleaner than when they came from the factory, but I couldnt help but think that was hard on the weapons.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 3:02:35 AM EDT
[#32]
We used to use very hot water and gun scrubber.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 4:09:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And this is where a lot of this shit has started. If you cant return a weapon to the arms room because of a dickhead wearing white gloves, what are you gonna do? I know that right before I got out of the guard, a friend of mine in the motor pool showed me how they did there rifles. Large parts solvent tank, and used compressed air to dry it. Yea they were clean, probably cleaner than when they came from the factory, but I couldnt help but think that was hard on the weapons.

Exactly. As an armorer, I was happy to insert some common sense into a company's cleaning practices as much as possible. My first unit I was an armorer for, the battalion had a solvent tank. I told people in my company when they were cleaning, no solvent tank. People wanted to just dip things in solvent, and then they'd fail to lubricate it afterward.

We'd get these senior NCOs and in my last unit we had a civilian who was a retired E8 who thought they were "old school". If they put their finger, Q-tip, pipe cleaner, whatever, anywhere....and it came out the slightest bit darker, you failed their inspection. Well if you have the slightest bit of oil on the weapon, it's going to come out dark. That's why people started using shaving cream and carb cleaner. It dissolves the oil so it can pass "inspection".
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 4:18:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Connie!

ETA: I actually learned the coat hanger trick from some tier 1 types.  I'm stopping that shit pronto.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 4:27:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Pushing out reciever pins, enlarges the holes, ruining the reciever?

So the manual that shows pushing out the Rear lower reciever pin to clean the gun is incorrect?
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 4:33:23 AM EDT
[#36]
What about spraying Ether in the bore and then immediately firing a round. It really blasts the carbon out!

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 4:40:36 AM EDT
[#37]
this is all a result of pogue sncos with retardedly high cleaning inspection standards
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 4:57:51 AM EDT
[#38]
that is good stuff.

my preference is non-clorinated brake cleaner to blow the crud off and then use normal gun cleaners to clean. I use BF/CLP for lube.

here is the link to the issue

https://www.logsa.army.mil/pub/psissuesA/PS_671.pdf
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 5:17:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Pushing out reciever pins, enlarges the holes, ruining the reciever?

So the manual that shows pushing out the Rear lower reciever pin to clean the gun is incorrect?

I think it was referring to the trigger, hammer, and auto sear pins.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 5:29:37 AM EDT
[#40]
I've used N/C Brake cleaner for 15 years now, I've yet to see any issues from it if you lube it correctly afterwards.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 5:42:02 AM EDT
[#41]
I use brake cleaner regularly, but ONLY on stainless and blued finishes, and ALWAYS using lube immediately after.  I don't want to find out what it'll do to other finishes.  I never use it as a bore cleaner.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 5:45:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
this is all a result of pogue sncos with retardedly high cleaning inspection standards

Anal retentive white glove tards & Obsessive Compulsion Disorder "make work" cleaning already clean guns cause more damage to equipment than actual use.  Add in the normal slacker "short cut" mentality of some & you end up with a mess.  Like everybody throwing their BCG into the solvent bucket & grabbing one at random to hurry up cleaning (a kaboom waiting to happen).

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 5:48:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 5:55:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 6:44:17 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Is that Gun Scrubber the same as carb cleaner? Im curious.
Gun Scrubber is the same as brake cleaner, not carb cleaner.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 6:44:55 AM EDT
[#46]
I use Mobil1 on my AR.  It may be true that CLP is better than conventional motor oil, but not synthetic.  

I've used CLP a great deal in the Army, and it's hardly ideal.  After even just one mag the CLP is mostly gone.  You can say whatever jibba jabba you want about thin layers of whatever-the-hell CLP supposedly leaves behind, but my carbine stays wet no matter how much I fire it with Mobil1.  It doesn't harden or evaporate, whether I'm firing it or leaving it in the closet for 6 months.

We once had to convince an armorer to take our 240 despite a small carbon spot on the shaft of its piston because a private was grinding away flakes of metal trying to get it off.  He bought the argument that leaving the spot was better for the weapon system
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 6:54:09 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

The old Connie and Bonnie PM books. I have a bunch of them from when I was stationed at Ft. Bragg in the '80's

I'd like to see the entire archive of PM comics online.  It would be very cool to be able to go back and see the ones I read in the early '80s.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 7:00:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Did PM ever step off the "light lubing is good" horse yet?
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 7:07:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 7:09:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top