Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/9/2006 9:08:56 AM EDT
I left work early on Friday and happened past the high school on my way home, just as school was letting out.  Seemed like every damn car leaving the parking lot was quite new, and some of them were easily $30-40k cars.

Now, my parents bought me a car when I was sixteen, and they had plenty of money to buy me a new car if they wanted, but I got a $900 car, on principle.  My old man knew that spoiling a young kid like that was a bad idea.

I am not very old, so don't start calling me gramps.  

Just seems like this is one more symptom of parents these days wanting to be their kids' friends rather than parents.  The kid bitches and whines, and gets the new car.  At least that's what a friend of mine who bought her kid a BMW 3 series basically told me.  The kid knew Mom would back down and get tired of the bitching so she bought her a 2005.

I have a slightly different theory about a kid who keeps bitching and thinks they deserve something like that.  I can easily afford another brand new car, but there is no way my kid will get anything remotely new, and he will be required to do some fix up work, all maintenance, etc.  And pay for insurance and gas.

Who's with me on this?  Or I am just becoming an old codger?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I left work early on Friday and happened past the high school on my way home, just as school was letting out.  Seemed like every damn car leaving the parking lot was quite new, and some of them were easily $30-40k cars.

Now, my parents bought me a car when I was sixteen, and they had plenty of money to buy me a new car if they wanted, but I got a $900 car, on principle.  My old man knew that spoiling a young kid like that was a bad idea.

I am not very old, so don't start calling me gramps.  

Just seems like this is one more symptom of parents these days wanting to be their kids' friends rather than parents.  The kid bitches and whines, and gets the new car.  At least that's what a friend of mine who bought her kid a BMW 3 series basically told me.

I refuesed to allow my grandparents to buy my first car ($1200 VW Scirocco).  I'd rather not have that kind of thing hanging over my head when I was a Senior in High School... Turns out, even if you buy your own car, the parents can still take away your driving priviledges...  haha.  
Matt
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:14:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

So your dad brought you a brand new model T in 1920 for $900 and you're complaining about kids driving new $30,000 cars?

It's called inflation, gramps!

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#3]
In 1999, the nicest car in my high school was a 2000 grand prix GT.
She bought it from money she earned from working on her dad's farm.

Next nicest was probably a brand new Rustang.

Like 3 years ago, a freshmen in high school got mommy and daddy to buy an almost brand new 2002/2003?  Camaro V6.  A freaking 14/15y/o girl getting an almost brand new camaro....
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#4]
i agree that new drivers shouldn't be getting a brand new BMW.  but, if the parents can afford it, i don't think they should get a $500 junker either.  you want a car that's BASIC and CHEAP, but SAFE.  i know someone that died because of a mechanical failure and poor construction of an automobile.  money spent on a safer car is not money wasted.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:19:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Worried about safety?  Get em one of those Volvo 240dls.  Plenty to be had for little $$$

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i agree that new drivers shouldn't be getting a brand new BMW.  but, if the parents can afford it, i don't think they should get a $500 junker either.  you want a car that's BASIC and CHEAP, but SAFE.  i know someone that died because of a mechanical failure and poor construction of an automobile.  money spent on a safer car is not money wasted.

No dude, I'm talking brand new mustangs, Escalades, Eclipses, etc.  Crazy stuff.  I can't see ever buying a kid a car that can go 140MPH, nor a $55,000 Escalade.

A brand new Hyundai or Kia?  No problem.  It's just that some of the stuff is ridiculous.  And then the kids want ghetto 22 inch rims and all that other crap, in addition to stereos and shit.  Accorrding to my friend I mentioned above, most of these kids don't have jobs, and the parents buy the rims and stuff.  Great if they can afford it, but I don't see anything good coming from it.  

It's the same or worse at CSU though - I go to the library there pretty often, and you wouldn't believe what kids these days™ are driving.  When I was in college in 1992 there were very few newer cars.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm 26. I bought my first car at 16 with cash I made working at a local computer shop. I paid $300 for a 66 Galaxie 500 LTD (428 ), and I loved that car. I wrenched on it, bought repro parts, and spent a lot of time at the boneyard scorunging up more parts. I paid for everything, including the gas and insurance. As a young man, I was PROUD of what I had accomplished. I had friends who's parents bought them nicer cars, and I pitied them. No joke. To look at my car and say "That's MINE, and I earned it" was a source of great pride.

That car came to represent hard work, sacrifice, and reward. I wouldn't have had it any other way.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:23:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
...he will be required to do some fix up work, all maintenance, etc.  And pay for insurance and gas.

he'll probably be paying more for insurance than the car costs.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:25:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Worried about safety?  Get em one of those Volvo 240dls.  Plenty to be had for little $$$

and for the gearhead kids, there's a place called "jags that run" that makes a small block chevy V8 conversion kit for them.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I get lunch at a place where the rich kids at the local school go.

Holy crap, their rides.

Cool stuff like 70's muscle cars and pimped out caddies.  Nice Audi TTs and Minis.  Spoiled maybe, but I like their style.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:29:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I was just in Starbuck's picking up my wifes customary Sunday morning fufu drink.  In line in front of me was a 30ish woman and her 4 year old (or so) daughter.  The 4 year old had a Juicy sweatsuit, Dolce and Gabbana sunglasses, and a Louis Vuitton purse.  She was wearing Gucci shoes and diamond stud earrings.

The mother was nearly identically attired.  The pretentiousness and "hey look at my laughably overpriced trend trinkets" was overpowering.  I just shook my head and marveled at the shallowness involved.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:29:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Kids in this country have been spoiled since the end of WWII...  where do you think Liberals (in the sheer volume we have) come from.

Just a generalization.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Cool stuff like 70's muscle cars

Hey now, some of us are worked hard on our cars.

still saving up for that tranny...
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:34:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

myspace-909.vo.llnwd.net/00246/90/96/246676909_l.jpg

68?  The 67 I think is the most beautiful car ever made.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:34:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I was just in Starbuck's picking up my wifes customary Sunday morning fufu drink.  In line in front of me was a 30ish woman and her 4 year old (or so) daughter.  The 4 year old had a Juicy sweatsuit, Dolce and Gabbana sunglasses, and a Louis Vuitton purse.  She was wearing Gucci shoes and diamond stud earrings.

The mother was nearly identically attired.  The pretentiousness and "hey look at my laughably overpriced trend trinkets" was overpowering.  I just shook my head and marveled at the shallowness involved.

Great post and sooooooo...... true. I cannot believe some what some people pay to make themselves feel good. Tools.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I saw a couple minutes of some stupid reality show, this hottie just turned 16 and was on her 2nd BMW (she wrecked her 1st one)
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

myspace-909.vo.llnwd.net/00246/90/96/246676909_l.jpg

68?  The 67 I think is the most beautiful car ever made.

69, wish it was a fastback, but this is what I could afford.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

that sir is a APC for $800 in good condition
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:35:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Trying going to a CA high school.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:36:35 AM EDT
[#20]
I didn't go to my local high-school when I lived in the US, but when I went by the parking lot, I saw plenty of high-dollar cars. I am talking Cadillac CTS's, plenty of 3 series Beemers, and the odd Benz (SLK). Yeah, kids these days are way spoiled. I saw a 10-12 year old with a latest gen. video iPod last week. That's a bit over the top. I am still waiting to get a job that pays enough so that I can reasonably afford to keep a Volvo C30 or the like (Small/fast "luxury" hatchback). Until then, I am content with public transport and a decent hard-tail bike (as in the thing that you pedal, not a motorcycle ).
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

My grandma gave me her 1986 240 DL in 2004. I was glad to get it. Really easy to work on. So I guess I'm kind of spoiled.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:46:37 AM EDT
[#22]
I've been toying around with the idea of when my son turns 16 buying him a "average" older car with no engine and buying a crate engine, Chiltons manual and a nice toolbox.

I'll buy your car, but you have to put it together.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:47:38 AM EDT
[#23]
New cars...Expensive toys...Fuuuuccck That!!!!

My little girl comes out of the oven in July...

No way I will let her become a spoiled little brat...

No cellphones, no TV, no video games, no Ipod...

A bed, a desk, and a few shelves....that's the way I was raised...

My first car cost ME $900...

I bought my first new car at age 26... when I could comfortably afford it...

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Kids that get handed everything to them for free generally piss away everything for nothing too.

Some of the worst people I've met were spoiled silly by their parents.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My grandma gave me her 1986 240 DL in 2004. I was glad to get it. Really easy to work on. So I guess I'm kind of spoiledhr

Volvos always have their odd quirky problems but in general they last and last and keep on ticking very well. However their resale value stinks. Beemers and Benzes keep their values ridiculously well, esp. in Europe. In Europe, if you can afford a brand-new S-class Benz once, do it, because 5 years from then, you can sell that car, add a minimal amount of money and buy a brand-new one (barring any serious/blatant defects, of course). It's great.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:49:26 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I've been toying around with the idea of when my son turns 16 buying him a "average" older car with no engine and buying a crate engine, Chiltons manual and a nice toolbox.

I'll buy your car, but you have to put it together.

YES

Do it, your son will come to thank you for it. and yall will have a blast building it up.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

...Um, no TV?

.....Why?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:53:07 AM EDT
[#28]
half the cars here at Umiami need a bigass sticker on the back that says "THANK YOU DADDY"
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted: Who's with me on this?  Or I am just becoming an old codger?
I'm with you man. As long as the kid or the parents can afford the car without any financial stress to the household, then it's OK with me. As long as the kid driving responsibly and the parents enforce some guidelines, then it's all good. I understand that some people out there can buy brand new cars for their kids with cash out of pocket. Good for them. As long as the kid smart about it, the car won't be taken away by parents, by criminals, or by the law.

Besides, it's entertaining to see a show-off getting his new car towed because he broke the law or hear that his car got stolen because he didn't lock the door. Man, that is just hilarious!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:57:54 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great post and sooooooo...... true. I cannot believe some what some people pay to make themselves feel good. Tools.

See my thread HERE

More often than not, these people can't lay their hands on $1000 cash without cash-advancing a credit card.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:01:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Your parents said the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...Um, no TV?

.....Why?

have you actually watched TV lately?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My grandma gave me her 1986 240 DL in 2004. I was glad to get it. Really easy to work on. So I guess I'm kind of spoiled.

I hated Volvos until I acually owned one.  They are kick-ass cars.  Adore them.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#34]
I Got my dads old 85 S10, it was $5000 new.

I figure I have got at least anoughter 5 years on it before I need to rebuild the engine and revamp the suspension.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:05:25 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Rethink that one.
If she has any kind of a social life, she will need a cell phone.
She won't need a cell phone for her social life, she will need a cell phone to keep in touch with you.
Not when she is 10 of course, but think around 15-16 when she and her friends start driving.
That's what my parents did I got my drivers lisence, and they handed me the old cellphone so they could keep in contact with me.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm 25 and had to buy my first vehicle at 16.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#37]
I wish I had a picture of my first car.
My parents were going to retire it, then I turned 16.
That blue (paint peeling) 1991 Plymouth Voyager was my companion for 3 years, til its tranny finally blew.
It might not have been as cool as the cars some of the other kids at my high school drove, but it was good enough for me.
It quickly acquired the nickname of "the shaggin' wagon" and it was well earned.

I will admit though, I always wanted a Jeep Wrangler - that was the ultimate status symbol.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#38]
You parents bout you a $900 car ? You spoiled fuck . Truth be told I didn't own out right my own car until I was 26 .
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm driving an 87 240 station wagon.  Almost 200k on it and it will be going to my son in about 6-8 months when he gets his license.  Besides some of the door trim molding hanging loose it is great shape!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:18:00 AM EDT
[#40]

Not when she is 10 of course, but think around 15-16 when she and her friends start driving.
That's what my parents did I got my drivers lisence, and they handed me the old cellphone so they could keep in contact with me.

Same I didnt even Want a cellphone and they got me one to keep in touch and for emergencies, But when  I DIDNT use it to keep in touch... Got dinged for that one lol
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#41]
I think you guys should just break down and give your kids new BMW's. Hell, while you're at it.. get them Mercedes. There's no reason not to.

Throw in a new Bushmaster AR-15 flat-top with EOTech and HK mags. Maybe a Vltor or Magpul stock. And get them a limo to prom, too.

Oh, by the way.. I'm 18.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#42]
In the local news a few months ago, they compared the east (where I went) and west side high school vehicles (west side is richer). The east side were jealous, but more inline with thinking that 16year olds shouldn't be driving BMWs, Mercedes, Porsche, Ferrari, and a Masserati. The west valedictorian drove a brand new 2005 BMW M5. Her reasoning? That she was a good student in NHS, and therefore DESERVED the M5. Our valedictorian was smarter and his family couldn't afford a second vehicle, much less a third for him.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#43]
My Dad bought me a new Toyota Tercel in '80 to drive (it had no A/C and this was in Tampa, FL ).  It was also a manual shift, never drove one before, had to learn while driving it home.  Yes it was a new car, but I wouldn't call it extravagent or anything, probably the cheapest new car you could buy back then.  He never liked to buy used, said you will just be buying someone else's problems.  Back then, he was probably right.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#44]
The greatest joy is knowning that you are a self-made man. I don't mind getting a nice gift and will not resist having to accept it too much (within reason, of course) but the things that I am the proudest of are the ones that I paid for with my own hard-earned money. I also rarely buy anything but when I do, I try to buy something of lasting quality, even if it's a bit more expensive. Like shoes. Really good shoes, well maintained and cared for, will last you a life-time (well, a good number of years in any case). Ok, I admit it, I just love the feel of a pair of Eccos... h.gif
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:12:00 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Thank God you're not my Dad.   Once you've lived with the kid a few years, you may come to love it and actually buy it stuff.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Aint that the truth, fr00t!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

If you haven't noticed the entire economy of our nation (and the world) seems to be built on this type of consumerism and conspicuous consumption.

Spend, spend, spend.  Go into debt, it's fine, it's what *everyone* else is doing so you have to as well to "keep up".  Lip service is paid to reducing debt and saving, but the messages to buy, Buy, BUY at all costs are *much* stronger.

I'm not an economist but the whole thing is to my layman mind a house of cards waiting for the first big gust of wind to blow it all to hell.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Saw a kid at the bus stop the other day, couldn't have been more than 8 years old... chatting on her cell phone.

My father bought me a 79 Malibu Classic when I finished basic training. Didn't set him back much and I'm glad I didn't get anything more than that. It gave me a greater appreciation when I start buying my own cars. Plus I was rough on that ride.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#49]
My parents assisted me with my first car in 1999 but I paid over 90% of its cost myself.  We

just could not talk the salesman down any farther.  I earned the money that summer

working as a Camp Counselor for a church camp.  I drove the damned thing till it died last year.

I now drive a 91 F-150 so these parents who buy their kids new cars are idiots in my own

humble opinion.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Like 3 years ago, a freshmen in high school got mommy and daddy to buy an almost brand new 2002/2003?  Camaro V6.  A freaking 14/15y/o girl getting an almost brand new camaro....

you think that's bad?

the kids i went to highschool with had rich parents and almost none of them worked.  we had kids driving H2's, GMC denalis, corvettes, a couple porches, one $113,000 mazarate(sp).  and if they didn't have a $50,000 vehicle to start with, the parents would buy the kids new wheels, tires, lift kits, etc., etc.

i worked my ass off to buy myself a new truck my senoir year.  i was extremely lucky to be able to do so.  then i see a 16 year old guy roll up next to me in a brand new f-250 complete with 20" wheels, 38" tires, and a custom paint job.  this kid had never worked a day in his life.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top