BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2002 7:01:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Perhaps is was the father after all. And considering the fact that Alabama, where the family was from, hasn't recognize our states CCW laws, meaning I can't carry in that state with my GA CCW and vice-versa, maybe the father is trying to hide the fact it was his gun. Maybe the police know it was his gun and are trying to give him a chance to change his story and give him a grieving period for the loss of his son.

I just thinking they have to know which gun it was and would have already filed charges if it was the vendor.

...or is it really that difficult to tell which gun it was?
View Quote

I think your right about that, It must have been the father.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Owning a revolver himself, the father must have been familiar with how the gun operates — and yet still pulls the trigger.

Given that absurdity, maybe the police aren't yet convinced it was an accident.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uhh...which gun had an empty casing in it?
View Quote
Well okay that might work too...

Edited to add-How the @#$% do you accidently fire off a double action revolver?
View Quote

Pure conjecture here: From what little info I've seen apparently there were some holsters being inspected. Perhaps the hammer caught on an unfamiliar strap, etc. Unlikely but that's why they call it accidents. A series of mistakes leading to a tragedy. Just ask those parents in Russia who lost all those kids...
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I highly doubt a holster can cause the trigger ti fire.  Most double action revolers have a very hard trigger pull.  Someone here isn't telling the truth,

SGtar15
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Time to ban revolvers.  They're just too dangerous.  Gunshows too.  They cause people to shoot little kids.

Do it for the children!

USPC40

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 10:08:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 6:52:59 AM EDT
[#10]
If this statement by the father is accurate and he is telling the truth it doesn't sound like he fired the shot.  

"I blame the person" who discharged the gun, said Grant, speaking by cellphone while heading south on I-85 to Prattville, Ala., his home. "People should check every weapon they put in their hands."

[url]http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/metro/0702/16gunshow.html[/url]

Youngster's gun show killing still a mystery
It's unclear who fired round from behind counter

By RICK BADIE and ANDREA JONES
Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writers

Who did it?

Who accidentally shot 13-year-old Steven Bray King in the face Sunday at a Gwinnett County gun show? And how did it happen?

A day after the incident, a boy who loved to read and tinker with computer parts has died, and police don't know what happened.

A Gwinnett police spokesman said only two groups of people were allowed to carry loaded weapons at the Eastman Gun Show -- vendors and the security working the event at the North Atlanta Trade Center in Norcross.

But the gunshow promoter's attorney said vendors can't carry loaded weapons during any of the 32 shows put on by Matthew Eastman of Fitzgerald.

Amid the contentions, police are trying to piece together a sequence of events to explain the shooting.

"We're trying to answer two questions," Gwinnett Cpl. Ray Dunlap said Monday. "Whose gun was it? And who had control of the weapon when it was fired?"

What's known is that a bullet blasted from behind a counter pierced Steven's eye. Paramedics and a doctor worked feverishly to save the boy. They rushed him to the hospital with his father, Anthony Grant, by his side. Kathi McQueen, Grant's girlfriend, and her daughter trailed the ambulance.

Steven died at 12:10 p.m. Monday at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Scottish Rite, 24 hours after he was shot with a .38-caliber handgun at point-blank range. His organs were being donated "to help someone else," Grant, 38, said late Monday.

Guns brought to shows by the public, as well as those on exhibit, must have plastic safety ties attached to prevent discharging. Dunlap, who used to work security for Eastman shows, said vendors are allowed to carry loaded weapons at the events.

Atlanta attorney Joseph Wargowho represents Eastman, and Mark Barnes, a lawyer for the National Association of Arms Shows, said otherwise.

Vendors sign a policy in writing that says they will not carry loaded weapons, according to rules posted on Eastman's Web site. Wargo said security personnel also are required to check vendors as well as folks who attend the show.

"It is a very unfortunate incident, " Wargo said, "but nothing at all in how the gun show was run contributed" to it. He said Eastman shows is conducting its own investigation.

Barnes, of Washington, said gun-show promoters abide by federal, state and local laws in addition to association rules. "They know what the expectations are," he said.

Link Posted: 7/16/2002 6:53:36 AM EDT
[#11]
(cont)

"Normally, the only people who are allowed to carry loaded weapons are law enforcement personnel," Barnes said. "Because the safety procedures are so good and in light of the large numbers of shows, an accidental discharge is quite rare."

Meanwhile, the incident has left some gun enthusiasts to ponder whether the incident will cast a pall over gun shows in general.

"Any gun is only as safe as its owner," said Sam Kremer, who, shortly after the shooting, left the event cradling two semi-automatic rifles he had hoped to sell. "It's a sad thing to have happen."

Bernie Esguerra, owner of Bernie's Sport Center in Norcross, said "the unfortunate incident" will become ammunition for "liberal people to show that guns are bad.

"Security at gun shows is tight," he said.

Hours after his son died Monday, Grant described himself as a "gun advocate" who is "not blaming the gun or the shows where they are sold.

"I blame the person" who discharged the gun, said Grant, speaking by cellphone while heading south on I-85 to Prattville, Ala., his home. "People should check every weapon they put in their hands."

McQueen, Grant's girlfriend, thanked emergency personnel and hospital staff for the job they did. She took issue, though, with the fact that the gun show continued after the shooting.

"I am very upset about that," McQueen said. "They should have shut that gun show down."
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:00:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hate to keep pounding on this, but it's just so close to home for me in more ways than one.
View Quote

keep hammering at them and one day we might know what really happened.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:14:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:24:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Uhh...which gun had an empty casing in it?
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing.  I assume that both weapons have serial numbers.  I should be rather easy to ID which man ownes the gun that was fired.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:31:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Maybe the kid accidentally shot himself.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#16]
My 2 cents here. However somebody tries to justify this, there is NO reason a person has to be armed inside a gun show. How does someone rob someone at a show that becomes a life threatning ordeal. Remember deadly force is allowed only when threat to life or limb, not when a person steals something off your table. At a minimum the promoter should be reprimanded for allowing loaded CCW in the show, whether dealer or customer. Manslaughter for sure if it wasn't the father. I'm sure the owner of the facility will be involved in this also, and not in a good way.
And the bullshit of not knowing which gun it came from, is just that "Bullshit". A 14 year old kid can figure that out in 10 sec's. This is perfect fuel for the anti's, and in this case I can't say I'd blame them. Here are people in this gun friendly envirement, well educated (supposedly) on firearm handling and they forget the first rule of gun safety. Always point in a safe direction. There is no excuse for this and I hope the guilty parties suffer the consequences. Whether family or not. Because "WE" will feel this because of some elses stupidity. There, my chance to vent!

Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:27:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Gwinnett police, offering no new details, say they are being thorough in gun show shooting investigation

"The organizer of a gun show in which a 13-year-old boy was fatally shot Sunday wants to know what's keeping Gwinnett County authorities from figuring out who accidentally pulled the trigger."

[url]http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/metro/0702/17gunshow.html[/url]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:38:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 6:35:55 AM EDT
[#19]
My sympathies to the family.

My sympathies also to the people of GA.

Looks like no more gun shows for you.

--LS
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Word on the radio news this morning is an irate gun dealer from Newnan who was a witness called the cops+reporters and said the holster dealer fired the shot while demo-ing a holster. Still waiting for closure on this story......

..Also said it was an S&W airweight titanium model revolver.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm still wondering: Was the holster in question a horizontal shoulder holster? If not, then how could you possibly ND into a kid's face? If it was the dealer behind a counter, it sounds even more unlikely. Is it really so difficult to figure out what really happened?
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:18:43 AM EDT
[#22]
[url]http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/metro/0702/18gunshow.html[/url]

After four days of investigation and interviews, investigators said they are no closer to determining how the shooting happened. Witness statements from the crowded gun show seem to contradict the father.

"Right now, there are some witnesses who say the dealer was in control of the firearm," said Gwinnett District Attorney Danny Porter. "Others are saying the father was in control."

"This is not clear-cut," added Gwinnett police Col. John Latty. "We have varying perceptions on what happened."

Link Posted: 7/18/2002 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#23]
What about the possibility that both the father and the vendor had unloaded guns, and the bullet came from elseware in the show?  Say, someone on the other side of the table checking out a gun or something?

It really all lies in the witnesses. I mean, SOMEONE had to be standing next to whoever was holding the gun, wherever it was.

-Justin
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:07:24 AM EDT
[#24]
[url]http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/metro/0702/19gunshow.html[/url]

Police may never know who pulled trigger
on weapon that killed boy at gun show

By ANDREA JONES
Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

Gwinnett police said Thursday they may never know who pulled the trigger of a weapon that killed an Alabama boy at a crowded gun show Sunday.

Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:23:45 AM EDT
[#25]
This [i]pisses me off![/i]

You know who's at fault, no matter what?  The idiot vendor who allowed a customer to [i]handle a loaded weapon![/i]  Yes, Dad is also culpable for not clearing the weapon, but it is [i]inexcusable[/i] for the vendor to do what he did, and a kid is dead because of it - regardless of who pulled the trigger.  

This is, as far as I'm concerned, NEGLIGENT MANSLAUGHTER - The killing of another person through gross negligence.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:40:15 AM EDT
[#26]
"The vendor knew the weapon was loaded, but the boy's father apparently did not, Kissel said.

Sometime during the exchange of the weapon between the two men, the gun discharged, Kissel said."

Who TF is stupid enough to hand a loaded firearm to someone else at a gun show?  Who is stupid enough to accept a firearm from someone else without having the action open?

I learned at the age of six to always pass a firearm with the action open.  In the case of a revolver the cylinder would be open and inspected for rounds in the chamber and passed to another person butt first with your fingers through the back strap.  Two men experienced with firearms couldn't clear a [b]revolver?[/b]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top