Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/22/2016 12:28:40 AM EDT
I am getting this combination of fade in/fade out pain along with occasional stabbing pain in my kidney.  Right below where my ribcage ends.  Also some brief nausea which goes just as quickly.

My brother says I've got a nasty little surprise on the way soon, and claims I need to start drinking a fuckload of water and *real* cranberry juice.  I bought some tonight, and this shit is not only bitter as hell but it seems to be quite the laxative.

Will this give me a chance of dodging an ER visit soon, or is that an old wive's tale?  Is the pain as bad as claimed?

I'm doing lots of air travel soon, last thing I want would be a kidney stone pain to hit while on a flight.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:30:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Dibs on guns, accessories, retirement plans, any land or property held in CO, motorcycles, and any taxidermy.

Oh yeah and you're probably gonna have some fun kidney stones.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:34:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dibs on guns, accessories, retirement plans, any land or property held in CO, motorcycles, and any taxidermy.

View Quote

Define "fun".  He says the pain was spectacular.  Worse than when he shattered both feet and ankles.  He's gotta be fucking with me, right??
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:37:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Define "fun".  He says the pain was spectacular.  Worse than when he shattered both feet and ankles.  He's gotta be fucking with me, right??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The pain is apparently on par with or worse than childbirth, depending on who you trust.

I have never had them, but a very good friend of mine did and she ended up on the bathroom floor, writhing in pain until she was taken to the ER. Hers were bad enough that she had to get lithrioscopy (sp?) to break them up so she could pass them.
My BIL had them and it was a similar story. He ended up on heavy painkillers and had to pee into a funnel until he passed them. His early symptoms were very similar to yours.

I don't know that there's anything you can do in advance, but I'm not a doc.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:37:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, drinking lots of fluid can help if you have a stone.  I've read that cranberry juice is actually not good to drink if you have a stone because it may make it worse.  I'd drink lots of water.  Seriously, be peeing like every hour, and have it be clear.

Yes, the pain is as bad as you've heard.  Can bring a grown man to his knees.  

Is there any blood in your pee yet?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:39:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is the pain as bad as claimed?
View Quote

I've had them before...too many times.

One doctor I had, a female, said that if given the choice between childbirth & a kidney stone...(she'd had both previously)...she'd choose childbirth.

Good luck OP
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:39:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes, drinking lots of fluid can help if you have a stone.  I've read that cranberry juice is actually not good to drink if you have a stone because it may make it worse.  I'd drink lots of water.  Seriously, be peeing like every hour, and have it be clear.

View Quote

^^^This^^^
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:41:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, he's not.  I've never had one, but my dad and brother have.  Stones are some evil shit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:43:30 AM EDT
[#8]
<-----------------
Knocks on wood

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:43:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I've never had pain in the front with a stone, always in the "flank". People have confused it with back pain. Typically the pain comes in cramping waves with a constant base line. The pain comes from the uriter, which is smooth muscle squeezing and relaxing on the stone.

If this is your first stone count on a trip to the ER. The stone will probably get stuck as it tears down the tube from the kidney to the bladder and then the blood coagulates around it. The analgesics will help relax the ureter and if you get toradol  that helps break up the blood clot then the stone has a better chance of making it to the kidney. I've never had a stone too big to make it down the ureter or cause pain from the bladder out.

After the first couple my doc made me a cocktail of a fentanyl  sucker, 3 oxy, a toardol capped with a couple ambian and a glass of water. With that I wake up a few hours later feeling fine.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:44:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Drink water.  More.  No - more than that.  Keep doing it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:45:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The pain is apparently on par with or worse than childbirth, depending on who you trust.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The people I know who have gone through both have said that the kidney stones were worse.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:45:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:45:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Have you menstruated from your dickhole, yet?

First time is truly magical.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:45:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd drink water w/ lemon juice or vinegar and take some Tylenol or ibuprofen.

If you can make it thru 'til business hours, call your primary care doc about scheduling a CT maybe. That's the best way to diagnose them.

I've had tons and the worst ones to me are the smaller stabby ones that go into and scrape the ureter before going into the bladder. The bigger ones I've had that required surgery (2x) haven't been as bad. Although getting the ureteric stent taken out is a miserable few seconds afterwards!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:46:19 AM EDT
[#15]
No blood yet.  Drank about 36 oz of water tonight.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:46:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've never had pain in the front with a stone, always in the "flank". People have confused it with back pain. Typically the pain comes in cramping waves with a constant base line. The pain comes from the uriter, which is smooth muscle squeezing and relaxing on the stone.

If this is your first stone count on a trip to the ER. The stone will probably get stuck as it tears down the tube from the kidney to the bladder and then the blood coagulates around it. The analgesics will help relax the ureter and if you get toradol  that helps break up the blood clot then the stone has a better chance of making it to the kidney. I've never had a stone too big to make it down the ureter or cause pain from the bladder out.

After the first couple my doc made me a cocktail of a fentanyl  sucker, 3 oxy, a toardol capped with a couple ambian and a glass of water. With that I wake up a few hours later feeling fine.
View Quote

"We've been dancing with
Mr. Brownstone
He won't leave me
He won't leave me alone"
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:49:11 AM EDT
[#17]
My buddy had them recently.

After sending him home with the ureteric stent in, they never explained the shape of it to him, so he had to find out the hard way during extraction.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:49:14 AM EDT
[#18]
I have had two kindney stones, the most recent one about three weeks ago.

The pain is intense. It starts like what feels as if you pulled a muscle in your back, and keeps getting worse.
It is a stabbing pain from your kidney area around to your abdomen. It is a deep, searing pain. It will suck.

When you piss blood, go to the ER. They will give you pain meds and soon the stone will pass. Drink lots of water.

Do not drink cranberry juice. Just water.

You will pass the stone and the pain will subside. Keep drinking lots of water.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:49:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I've heard, he is correct.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:51:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I have had several kidney stones and the pain is unbelievable.  You will get so nauseous that you will chunk your cookies. I also had one that got stuck which caused one of my kidneys to start to shut down. They did an emergency surgery where they stuck a laser up my dick to blow it apart and then a basket to remove all the pieces. It hurt until I got the good stuff in my IV.  As for the surgery I was told to start counting backwards from 100. I recall getting to 99. The next thing I knew was waking up in the recovery room with a wire hanging out of my dick. The Doc pulled the wire out two weeks later. Before he did it he told me that it was going to hurt like hell and wanted to know if I wanted a quick jerk or a slow and drawn out removal. I picked the quick jerk; and the Doc was right, it hurt like hell.  

Have fun.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:52:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Christ why do I click on these threads
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:52:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At first it aches.

Then it stabs.

Then it doubles you over and the sheer cramping tearing ripping pain will make you want to puke.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:54:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

I have passed 3 of those little bastards. This is pretty much how it goes.
If its 5mm and under pepper your pee hole. If over 5mm gonna be a ride....
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:03:23 AM EDT
[#24]
I would have shot myself if I could have held the gun

I had all 4 wisdom teeth impacted and infected and that WAS my number 10

that shit was a 1 on the scale as compared to the stone

Been shot - MULTIPLE times - that's also a 1 or less

it's the worst pain I've ever been in

by several orders of magnitude

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:18:36 AM EDT
[#25]
For me personally, I had no warning. I have tried to explain to my wife what it felt like, and the closest I can come up with is this: imagine a nail sticking out of the end of a baseball bat. Now imagine someone swinging it at your lower back. There was an intense sharp pain, but also a deep, lasting greater pain like a huge impact. I felt nothing at all before it happened, it was sudden and intense.

Good times!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:40:57 AM EDT
[#26]
My first one seriously had me considering suicide. It got stuck in a really bad spot........................... for a week.

It had to be retrieved, but I felt like a million bucks afterward.

My second one was easy. Never would have know it had passed if I hadn't been straining my stream.

Number 2

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:42:35 AM EDT
[#27]
I've only had one, thank God. I started pissing blood with no pain at all. Three days later sitting on the couch, it felt like someone very slowly shanked me in the kidney.
I've felt pain before, but nothing like that. Actually made me puke. Went to the ER, and whatever they gave me made me feel better almost instantly, but pretty loopy. CT scan said it was only 3mm. Never bothered me again. The guy that did my CT told me that he had several women tell him it was worse than childbirth.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:44:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually, more like curled up in the fetal position on the floor.

Welcome to the club OP.  You may or may not be able to avoid an ER visit... depends on your pain tolerance I guess.  My first one I went to the ER and was given a Percocet and a bunch of IV fluids.  After it dropped into the bladder, everything was fine.  Second one I just sucked it up and suffered at home.  According the the contrast x-rays I still have a few more to go.  Yay.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:50:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Go get tested. If it's a kidney stone, you'll want to know. If it's not, you'll want to know.

I had a kidney stone once. They wouldn't give me pain meds until they identified the problem. It was terrible.

So yeah. Find out what it is tomorrow. If you have a complete blockage, you'll end up in the ER.

P.S. - I don't drink soda any more. Pretty much water. 40 oz in the morning. 40 in the afternoon. That's not including meals, when I exercise, etc.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:51:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Is there any way to prevent getting them in the first place?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:55:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Drink a lot of water.
The pain is bad.

Are you pissing normally?
Are you jaundiced yet (the whites in your eyes turning yellow, etc)?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:59:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends on the kind of stone but the #1 way to avoid them is to stay very hydrated. That means your urine is clear to slightly yellow and you water the flowers often.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:07:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Depends on the kind of stone but the #1 way to avoid them is to stay very hydrated. That means your urine is clear to slightly yellow and you water the flowers often.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha.

I quit drinking soft drinks almost 4 years ago.

Only drink water and juice now.

I have heard some people say that drinking water with high amounts of chlorine like city water will increase kidney stone chances.

Not sure if this is true or not.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:22:21 AM EDT
[#34]

Kidney stones, you say?

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:39:25 AM EDT
[#35]
I have gout, so kidney stones are only part of the magical pain and suffering.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:54:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Buncha sissies. I've had 11-12 stone surgeries. Some regular litho, some with neph tube. I've had 3 stones over an inch across and built one of those in less than 6 months. Think a stint sucks? How about getting one yanked out that had kidney stone crystals growing on it, like razor wire. Passed a stone the old fashioned way one time that was over 1cm. Pissed one out when I was 17 that was exactly the same size / color / texture as kix cereal. Had 2 or 3 get stuck "half way" through my dick when peeing. Sons a bitches came down near the end of the leak, once I clenched up (kinda hard not to) they got stuck. Then I spent 30 minutes on the floor guzzling water and praying for a chance to piss again.

Yeah, stones are fun. Ignore the rest of the advice you get here (it may not even apply to you depending on stone type, and your blood / piss chemistry)...the two things ALL some sufferers should do is drink water and exercise. That's the key. Your doc will tell you what foods you should / shouldn't eat.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:40:56 AM EDT
[#37]
First few will crush you, next few hundred get easier, seriously.

Pain meds vary. At first I took some old gout pills, that made everything ok. Told doc nothing addictive. So he prescribed the equivalent of 1000mg Tylenol and 600mg Advil combined every 8 hours. Yes, that dosage has to be prescribed! Worked great.

After a few, I could just bear down and other than wincing, passing them was not bad, like biting down on a toothache, pain passed quickly.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:41:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have gout, so kidney stones are only part of the magical pain and suffering.
View Quote

Me too! First time was a real surprise. Got outta bed and went to put weight on my right foot and hit the floor. Big toe made my whole foot throb.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:56:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Drink water until you are constantly and often peeing clear, and hope for the best
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:34:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Drink lots of water until relief or your can't stand it.  "Can't stand it" for me was at 4 am in Philidelphia downtown for me.  They have a nice hospitol there that were glad to see a patient that could pay for their care.  They gave me big time pain killers, and removed it.  Nice folks.  The stent hurts too.  It is as bad as we say it is.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:37:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My kidney stone was only about 2-3 mm in size. It had me literally clinging to the walls in order to walk. They range from this:

to this:

or even larger. There are horror pics online, beware if you google them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:42:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:47:26 AM EDT
[#43]
OP, you won't actually die. You'll just wish you'd die.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:49:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Drink a cup of half lemon juice and half unfiltered Apple cider vinegar two times a day.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Make sure it's a stone and not a blockage or infection.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:54:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Depends on the size of the stone[s]. They are dropping out of your kidney and trying to work their way down the ureter. That's where the pain comes from- the back pressure of urine pushing the blockage of the stone through the ureter and the stone dragging/ cutting/ tearing its way through the ureter while the ureter expands trying to accommodate the stone.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:58:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Stay hydrated. Don't get stressed.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:29:51 AM EDT
[#48]
If you go to a doc they might prescribe Flomax for you.  I just went through this about 2 weeks ago. I have never had a kidney stone so I was pretty clueless.

I got dressed in the morning. I was walking around the house doing laundry, cleaning the kitchen etc. I started having pain in my side and it got very uncomfortable so I took my pants off and continued on.  Then I started feeling the overpowering urge to pee constantly. So that's what I did for the rest of the day, pee blood... unhappily.  I didn't go to the doc until the next day because I didn't feel like I could drive myself and my hubby was out of town. Doc told me I had the worst looking urine she had ever seen

I could have done without those few days...   I am drinking a lot more water now.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:38:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Kidney stones suck.  Just had my second litho in 5 weeks Wednesday.

14mm and 11mm were my last 2.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:44:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Ill tell you one thing, morphine is great. I held out for about 6 hours and the 3rd time throwing  up  I decided i should probably do something about it. I will say I was relieved  to find out it was a stone until my mri came back showing a mass in addition to the stone. Got lucky in the end and turned out not to be cancer, 2yrs later I found out for sure that it was no longer complex.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top