Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2012 6:52:50 PM EDT
I am trying to pass my first one and Lord help me its by far the most painful thing I have ever felt.  Its supposed to be 4 mm but the damn thing ain't passing and my out put of urine is no where near my intake of liquids.  It feels like an ice pick repeatedly in the appendix area up through the floating ribs in my back.  I throw up and have night sweats daily.   Ibuprofen don't help much and I am almost out of prescribed pain meds.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:54:21 PM EDT
[#1]
beer or vodka and cranberry.  guzzle and piss away.*

*I am not a doctor so don't take what I say as gospel, but it is a method I have personally used.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Pansy...
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Your doctor should prescribe you FlowMax to help things along.

If you are vomiting, you need to go back in to the ER or see a urologist immediately.

I'm working on a 5.4mm stone...have been for two weeks...still there, moving slowly, hurts sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:58:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Get your doc to give you a prescription for Flomax and more pain meds. And drink fluids like mad.

I just had a 6mm kidney stone forcibly removed last week. Trust me when I say you do NOT want to go that route.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I have flowmax but apparently its not causing an increase in flow and I believe this thing is hung up in the pipes between the kidney and bladder based on the location of the pain.  

As for being a pansy I have to admit this may be true with this thing.  Worst pain in my life by far.  Rotater cuff tear and a torn meniscus knee were nothing compared to it.

I am calling the doctor tomorrow about the vomiting and sweats.  I am weak as a feather physically too.

Allen,

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Get your doc to give you a prescription for Flomax and more pain meds. And drink fluids like mad.

I just had a 6mm kidney stone forcibly removed last week. Trust me when I say you do NOT want to go that route.

I had 8mm and 6mm stones both blasted out of me. Did you have to have kidney stints? Those were as bad as the stones themselves. If I didn't piss every five minutes it felt like my kidney was being crushed.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:50:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have flowmax but apparently its not causing an increase in flow and I believe this thing is hung up in the pipes between the kidney and bladder based on the location of the pain.  

As for being a pansy I have to admit this may be true with this thing.  Worst pain in my life by far.  Rotater cuff tear and a torn meniscus knee were nothing compared to it.

I am calling the doctor tomorrow about the vomiting and sweats.  I am weak as a feather physically too.

Allen,

If some ignorant buffoon calls you pansy, you know that they've never had a kidney stone before.

Feel better.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 2:31:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Luckily no stints now but that may change.  

As for the pansy comment I took it in good humor well about as much humor as I can muster anyway.  I am trying to not let it keep me down but when the pain gets so bad you can't stand up, lie down, or find a position of relief then sometimes humor is not appreciated.

Link Posted: 5/29/2012 2:40:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Water.  More water.  ONLY water.

Link Posted: 5/29/2012 2:42:58 AM EDT
[#11]
How does one avoid these? I don't drink much pop, but a decent amount of coffee. Honestly this shit sounds fucking horrible.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 2:47:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How does one avoid these? I don't drink much pop, but a decent amount of coffee. Honestly this shit sounds fucking horrible.

Also wondering. Aren't they little pieces of calcium?

Every time I hear a story about kidney stones I cringe. Probably one of the greatest things I dread experiencing.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 2:58:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Your doctor should prescribe you FlowMax to help things along.

If you are vomiting, you need to go back in to the ER or see a urologist immediately.

I'm working on a 5.4mm stone...have been for two weeks...still there, moving slowly, hurts sometimes.

the ER gave me flowmax for mine and my urologist and Primary care laughed at that idea. I dont know if it helps or not but there appears to be some disagreement.

Good luck OP. Mine would not pass and they ended up going in and getting it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 3:00:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I just left the Er I passed  a 2mm stone  about 2 hours ago. So I feel your pain brother.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 3:16:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I feel for you.  just had one for the first time last thursday, and it passe realitively quickly.  I spent about 4 hours in the ER and was given dellodid (spelling?).  It was the most intense pain I have ever felt.  I haven't drank a soda since last Thursday... don't ever want to go through that again.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 3:26:41 AM EDT
[#16]
On a similar note, having once had kidney stones i too dread having them. So much so that tank water every night befor i go to bed.
Laterly I have notice when i urinate in the morning it is a deep orange color. At first i paniced thinking it was blood and that another one of those
terrible bastards was going to be coming any minute. Not blood though, instead upon further inspection it was tiny fragments of orange.
Smaller than sand.
Anyone ever experience this that can tell me what it means. I'm  sure its not good
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 3:27:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Allen,

If some ignorant buffoon calls you pansy, you know that they've never had a kidney stone before.

Feel better.

Yep!  I did a hitch in the Corps, took MMA, had broken limbs, hernia surgery, and went through a tornado where I received a concussion. Nothing hurts like a kidney stone.  A 4mm stone feels like a pineapple in there.  Good luck man.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 3:28:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
On a similar note, having once had kidney stones i too dread having them. So much so that tank water every night befor i go to bed.
Laterly I have notice when i urinate in the morning it is a deep orange color. At first i paniced thinking it was blood and that another one of those
terrible bastards was going to be coming any minute. Not blood though, instead upon further inspection it was tiny fragments of orange.
Smaller than sand.
Anyone ever experience this that can tell me what it means. I'm  sure its not good

Uhm, you need to see a Doctor.  That is probably not a good thing.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 5:03:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Smaller than sand.

Uhm, you need to see a Doctor.  That is probably not a good thing.

The only thing i can come up with on my own is that my body may stilll be trying to produce stones, but i flush these particles out
before they can become larger
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 5:12:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Depends on its shape.  I had a 4mm stuck and had to get removed.  Looked like the head of a medievel mace.  I had another one just come out, smooth like a river pebble
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 5:23:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Still working on my first one (going on four weeks this Thursday).  Week #1 was nothing but pain as it moved from my kidney to my bladder.  Week #2 was minimal pain.  

Then yesterday, trying to piss has become brutal...not as bad as the pain from Week #1, but it still sucks.  I feel like this thing is getting ready to shoot out and then nothing.  I fear that if I don't pass it today, I might have to go back to the Doctor.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 7:38:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Exercise.

Always stay well hydrated.

Avoid colas, tea, coffee, caffeinated drinks.

Depending on the cause of your specific stone type - the doctor will have dietary recommendations.

Link Posted: 5/29/2012 7:58:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Exercise.

Depending on the cause of your specific stone type - the doctor will have dietary recommendations.

Supoosedly one should not eat a ton of peanuts either. At least this is what my brothers doctor told him after he was diagnosed with a lot of kidney stones.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 8:16:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I am trying to pass my first one and Lord help me its by far the most painful thing I have ever felt.  Its supposed to be 4 mm but the damn thing ain't passing and my out put of urine is no where near my intake of liquids.  It feels like an ice pick repeatedly in the appendix area up through the floating ribs in my back.  I throw up and have night sweats daily.   Ibuprofen don't help much and I am almost out of prescribed pain meds.

I've been there. I know what you're going through. You poor bastard. That's all I got. For the overwhelming majority of people with kidney stones it will be the most painful experience of their life. And the overwhelming majority of people who have not experienced one simply don't know what pain is.   I have broken toes, fingers, and a leg. Suffered a few really nasty lacerations. Shattered my collar bone in a bad car wreck. This is all to say I have been through so.e horribly painful I.juries. they all pale in comparison to a kidney stone. Not even in the same ball park.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 8:25:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Feel better.

When I went to the ER with a 3mm stone up there the ER doc told me that she'd had twins and she'd passed a kidney stone and she'd take the twins any day of the week.

ETA: I ended up in the ER via ambulance because when the pain really hit I ended up curled up in a ball on the floor of a closet and alternated between not being able to speak and being able to barely speak at all depending on the pain level. And my wife can't lift me. The ambulance guys were sympathetic.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 8:46:40 AM EDT
[#26]
My urologist told me to drink Lemonade to reduce the chances of a re-occurrence. It has to be real lemonade though.

I had a 4.5 stone, and was at the urologist over it. The nurse told me there was a guy in there with a 10 with "staghorns" . Whew.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Don't remember who said it, but I read it on another kidney stone thread here on Arfcom...

"At first I was afraid I was going to die....a little while later, I was afraid that I wasn't."

I've broken my wrist, four fingers, and my C4 and C5 in my neck plus numerous other injuries.

I'd rather break my neck again than have another kidney stone.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 11:17:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Exercise.

Damn I drink about a gallon of water or more per day. I piss like every ten minutesI really don't want kidney stones.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
"At first I was afraid I was going to die....a little while later, I was afraid that I wasn't."

I'd say that's an accurate assessment of what having a kidney stone is like.
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 6:52:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Well apparently I have passed mine or its in the bladder waiting to sneak up and kill me this time.  lol

I had crap load of gravel looking crud in my urine yesterday after eating a metric ton of watermelon the previous day.  No outright blood but definitely orangish tint.  They did not give me a strainer so I did not "collect" it.  All I have to say is I feel night and day better.  

I am pretty sure mine was brought on by bad diet and dehydration.  So I guess I need to stay off the BBQ and drink more H2O and lemonade.

I will say a prayer for you guys still suffering.

Po-Po
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Actually, beer in large quantities,  part anesthesia and all fluid... Keep drinking it will pass, and don't chip the bowl when the muzzle velocity achieves super sonic.
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 9:26:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Had 1 2 weeks ago and sweet Jesus was the worst thing I've ever had in my life.
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 9:28:58 AM EDT
[#33]
My boss gets stones fairly regularly (it's genetic, apparently).  He just today told me about how when he passed the last one last year sometime it was 10mm, but the automatic flusher in the men's room did its thing before he could fish it out for a trophy.
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Congrats, OP.

I get to go tomorrow to get the stent in my right ureter removed. There's only one way to go in and get it too.
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 11:17:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Water.  More water.  ONLY water.  

Lots of water.  I drank water for two days.  If you're not pissing every 15 minutes, you're not drinking enough.  When the pain hit and I couldn't get comfortable I walked laps around house.  It gave me something to do and maybe helped the stone move a little easier.
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
............Ibuprofen don't help much and I am almost out of prescribed pain meds.

My wife had them and oxycodone was the only thing that saved her. She did the natural child birth thing and said the stones were worse.

Don't run out of meds. They don't give you a medal.

Link Posted: 5/31/2012 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
............Ibuprofen don't help much and I am almost out of prescribed pain meds.

My wife had them and oxycodone was the only thing that saved her. She did the natural child birth thing and said the stones were worse.

Don't run out of meds. They don't give you a medal.

I had one once, worst abdominal pain ever....never had any pain in the johnson....
A buddy of mines wife had one and confirmed it was wose than childbirth

Link Posted: 5/31/2012 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#38]
kidney stones you say?

both are just over 6mm long. the pointy one is just over 3mm wide at the largest part and the other is 3mm at each end and almost 4mm in the center. passed them both without much trouble. yes, flomax works to help open things up. also had lipotripsy(sp?) to destroy a 8.5x6mm stone that was in the shape of a heart that wouldnt pass out of my kidney. it was funny because it happened just before valentines day and it was <3 shaped.
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#39]
I feel for ya, while I've never had a stone, I run a lithotriptor daily to break up stones.  Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 5:18:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Had my first one in 2008.

Hurt horribly first day, but then settled into just occassional pain for 3 months while the doctor x-rayed it every few weeks, and said as long as it's moving, let nature take its course, vs. invasive eradication.  Passed it in about 3 months.

Link Posted: 5/31/2012 5:20:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Congrats, OP.

I get to go tomorrow to get the stent in my right ureter removed. There's only one way to go in and get it too.

I feel your pain.

Been there, done that and got the shirt.

Yes, there is only one way to go in and get the stent out. Passing the stone fragments was easy compared to the stent removal.  Felt like my insides were being pulled out with a massive hook... rather painfully I might add.  

My other kidney stones were really bad, to somewhat mild and they passed on their own.  

Link Posted: 5/31/2012 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Been there and done it.  Currently working a small one out.  Get some serious pain meds.  See the doc.  You could develop a blockage and that would be bad.  Good luck.

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had 8mm and 6mm stones both blasted out of me. Did you have to have kidney stints? Those were as bad as the stones themselves. If I didn't piss every five minutes it felt like my kidney was being crushed.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top