Posted: 9/26/2004 9:45:11 AM EDT
This brings a tear to my eye  
www.suntimes.com/output/steyn/cst-edt-steyn26.html

Gotta write this guy to thank him !!!

Kerry's looking for American failure -- and he's it

September 26, 2004

BY MARK STEYN SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST
Advertisement

Before John Kerry, the only alumni of Swiss finishing schools I'd ever met (in my younger days) were a certain type of lively English girl, a couple of minor princesses from Gulf emirates and a charming young Iranian lady whose family had been forced to flee after the shah fell. Collectively, they all fell into the category the British call ''posh totty.'' And, although they were way out of my league, the one thing I noticed was their impeccable carriage -- they'd done all the walking-around-with-books-on-your-head stuff -- and how exquisitely well-mannered they were. Even when giving you the brush for being a broke loser, they were very nice about it.

In this respect, John Kerry isn't exactly the best advertisement for his Swiss finishing school. Forget the impeccable carriage -- if you imagine you're watching streaming video on a slow dial-up connection, his gait seems perfectly natural. But the manners thing seems to have passed him by entirely. His decision to break the time-honored tradition of keeping out of the way during the other guy's convention by rushing on the air within an hour of President Bush's speech to give an instant response was boorish and petty. But, given that his ''midnight rambler'' routine in Ohio was a disaster, there didn't seem much point dwelling on it.

But last week he did it again. Ayad Allawi, the first prime minister of post-Saddam Iraq, was in Washington to give a joint address to Congress. A tough, stocky, bullet-headed optimist, Iraq's interim leader delivered a simple, elegant and moving speech, which made three basic points:

''First, we are succeeding in Iraq. [Applause] It's a tough struggle with setbacks, but we are succeeding . . .

''The second message is quite simple and one that I would like to deliver directly from my people to yours: Thank you, America [Applause] . . .

''Third, I stand here today as the prime minister of a country emerging finally from dark ages of violence, aggression, corruption and greed . . . Well over a million Iraqis were murdered or are missing . . .''

Kerry didn't show up for Allawi's visit to Washington -- he was in Ohio again, which is evidently becoming the proverbial Vietnam-type quagmire for him. Nonetheless, barely had the prime minister finished than the absentee senator did a daytime version of his midnight ramble and barged his way onto the air to insist that he knew better than Iraq's head of government what was going on in the country. One question from his accompanying press corps was especially choice:

''Prime Minister Allawi told Congress today that democracy was taking hold in Iraq and that the terrorists there were on the defensive. Is he living in the same fantasyland as the president?''

It would be nice to think this was a somewhat crude attempt at irony, but given America's Ratherized media this seems unlikely. Just for the record, Allawi is not living in a fantasyland. He's living in Iraq, and he begins his day with a dangerous commute across Baghdad's ''Green Zone.'' John Kerry's regular commute, by contrast, is from his wife's beach compound at Nantucket to his wife's 15th century English barn reconstructed as a ski lodge in Idaho. Nonetheless, he's the expert on Iraq and the guy living there 24/7 is the fantasist, and he's happy to assure us the prime minister doesn't know what he's talking about. It's all going to hell, forget about those January elections, etc.

What a small, graceless man Kerry is. The nature of adversarial politics in a democratic society makes George W. Bush his opponent. But it was entirely Kerry's choice to expand the field, to put himself on the other side of Allawi and the Iraqi people. Given his frequent boasts that he knows how to reach out to America's allies, it's remarkable how often he feels the need to insult them: Britain, Australia, and now free Iraq. But, because this pampered cipher has floundered for 18 months to find any rationale for his candidacy other than his indestructible belief in his own indispensability, Kerry finds himself a month before the election with no platform to run on other than American defeat. He has decided to co-opt the jihadist death-cult, the Baathist dead-enders, the suicide bombers and other misfits and run as the candidate of American failure. This would be shameful if he weren't so laughably inept at it.

Still, you can understand why, inside the Democrat-media cocoon, the senator's bet on the collapse of a free Iraq doesn't sound quite as revolting as it does to the average Iraqi. On Thursday, President Bush held a press conference at the Rose Garden with Allawi. You know the way these things go. The Norwegian prime minister happens to be visiting Washington and they hold a joint press conference and Norwegian issues aren't terribly pressing at the moment so the press guys ask Bush about prescription drug plans for seniors and increased education funding while the visitor from Oslo stands there like a wallflower at the prom. But Iraq's the No. 1 issue in American right now, and they've got the go-to guy right in front of them, and what do the blow-dried poseurs of the networks ask:

''Mr. President, John Kerry is accusing you of colossal failures of judgment in Iraq . . .''

NBC guy: ''A central theme of your campaign is that America is safer because of the invasion of Iraq. Can you understand why Americans may not believe you?''

CNN: ''Sir, I'd like you to answer Senator Kerry and other critics who accuse you of hypocrisy or opportunism . . .''

They're six feet from Iraq's head of government and they've got not a question for him. They've got no interest in Iraq except insofar as they can use the issue to depress sufficient numbers of swing voters in Florida and Ohio.

Who's living in the fantasyland here? Huge forces are at play in a world of rapid change. As the prime minister said, ''We Iraqis will stand by you, America, in a war larger than either of our nations.'' But the gentlemen of the press can barely stifle their ennui. Say what you like about the old left, but at least they were outward-looking and internationalist. This new crowd -- Democrats and media alike -- are stunted and parochial, their horizons shriveling more every day.

So for Kerry the new world war is just a wedge issue. After their schooling in Switzerland, those well-mannered English gels used to describe themselves as ''finished.'' If he wasn't ''finished'' after graduating from the Institut Montana in Zug in 1955, this week John Kerry is looking finished in a far more American sense.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Yup, he's a loser.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yup, he's a loser.

On a very high order of magnitude  This really made me smile today. hopefully it gets seen/passed around beyond here.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I loved that column when I read it.  Kerry IS a small, graceless man.  I thought it was totally outrageous the way he trashed Allawi.  Allawi is risking his life to stand with us and Kerry has to sneer at him publicly.  What a disgrace!

Because this pampered cipher has floundered for 18 months to find any rationale for his candidacy other than his indestructible belief in his own indispensability, Kerry finds himself a month before the election with no platform to run on other than American defeat. He has decided to co-opt the jihadist death-cult, the Baathist dead-enders, the suicide bombers and other misfits and run as the candidate of American failure. This would be shameful if he weren't so laughably inept at it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I loved that column when I read it.  Kerry IS a small, graceless man.  I thought it was totally outrageous the way he trashed Allawi.  Allawi is risking his life to stand with us and Kerry has to sneer at him publicly.  What a disgrace!

Because this pampered cipher has floundered for 18 months to find any rationale for his candidacy other than his indestructible belief in his own indispensability, Kerry finds himself a month before the election with no platform to run on other than American defeat. He has decided to co-opt the jihadist death-cult, the Baathist dead-enders, the suicide bombers and other misfits and run as the candidate of American failure. This would be shameful if he weren't so laughably inept at it.

Indeed The author seethes quite nicely, eh ?  hehe
Best part about it is it's all true.....  Hard to rebut that !

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Say what you like about the old left, but at least they were outward-looking and internationalist. This new crowd -- Democrats and media alike -- are stunted and parochial, their horizons shriveling more every day.

+1

Guy nails it right there. The Democrats have sunk to a level where their sole purpose is to trash everyone else. "Anybody but Bush."
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yeah, what does Allawi know about Iraq anyway?

Kerry knows waaaaaaay more about Iraq than Allawi.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:01:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Say what you like about the old left, but at least they were outward-looking and internationalist. This new crowd -- Democrats and media alike -- are stunted and parochial, their horizons shriveling more every day.

+1

Guy nails it right there. The Democrats have sunk to a level where their sole purpose is to trash everyone else. "Anybody but Bush."

"Yellow Dog Dim-o-Crap", and they really mean it. This is still all about Gore, huh...
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#8]
The man is simply beneath contempt. As someone else here on the board said, if Kerry wins, then America DESERVES to get nuked!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, what does Allawi know about Iraq anyway?

Kerry knows waaaaaaay more about Iraq than Allawi.

Yeah, you like that too, huh ?  I just rolled my eyes when I read about the dickhead's speech attacking Allawi...  Sure... he knows a lot...What a fuckin retard, sheesh....

Somebody must be putting stupid pills in the ketchup or something...  Absolutely amazing
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Mark Steyn is my favorite columnist.  You should do a search and read his other columns also--GREAT STUFF!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top