Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/2/2006 7:47:16 PM EDT

By ANDREW MIGA, Associated Press Writer Mon Jan 2, 9:58 AM ET

WASHINGTON - It's almost as if Sen.
John Kerry never stopped running for president. He still jets across the country, raising millions of dollars and rallying Democrats. He still stalks the TV news show circuit, scolding
President Bush at every turn.
ADVERTISEMENT

His campaign Web site boasts of an online army of 3 million supporters.

The Massachusetts Democrat, defeated by Bush in 2004, insists it is far too early to talk about the 2008 race, but some analysts assume he has already positioning himself for another shot at the White House.

"Obviously, Kerry has all but said he wants another crack at the thing," said Neal Thigpen, a political science professor at South Carolina's Francis Marion University. "He's going to make a second try."

While most losing presidential nominees quickly fade into the political landscape, Kerry has worked hard at maintaining a high public profile.

"He's continuing the fight he began in 2004," said Kerry spokesman David Wade. "He wants to make it very clear he's a fighter who is going to continue to fight for his agenda."

Borrowing a page from Republican Sen. John McCain (news, bio, voting record)'s 2000 postelection playbook, Kerry has kept much of his presidential political organization intact. He has also used his fundraising prowess to aid Democrats across the country, collecting chits that could be called if he seeks the party's White House nomination.

"He believes in his heart and soul that he came just a whisker away from being president," said Ronald Kaufman, a veteran GOP operative with Massachusetts roots.

Traveling extensively since his 2004 loss, Kerry generated nearly $5.3 million for dozens of Democratic candidates, state parties and charitable causes, according to aides.

He gave more than $200,000 to help Washington state Democrats prevail in Christine Gregoire's gubernatorial recount.

Kerry has expanded his campaign's e-mail supporter list, a vital organizing tool if he runs again. He has bought TV and newspaper ads promoting pet issues such as children's health care and his opposition to oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. He also reunited several members of his campaign policy team.

"No other past presidential candidate, with the exception of McCain, has done what Kerry has done in terms of converting his presidential campaign into a grass-roots political and legislative operation," said Wade. "He's dedicated to electing Democrats."

Despite such political spadework, Kerry can expect an uphill fight in 2008.

"He is going to have a difficult time overcoming his last campaign and explaining to the party regulars how and why he lost," said Dan Payne, a longtime Democratic consultant and former Kerry strategist. "There's only so much that the Democrats can blame on (senior Bush adviser) Karl Rove."

Kerry will also be bucking history. Adlai Stevenson was a two-time Democratic nominee nearly a half-century ago. He suffered back-to-back losses in 1952 and 1956 to Republican Dwight Eisenhower.

"Democrats are less prone historically to turn to a defeated nominee again," said political scientist Thigpen.

Richard Nixon won the Republican nomination in 1960, but lost the general election. He rebounded eight years later to capture the presidency.

In 2008, Democrats will probably be eager for a fresh face, said Thigpen, citing New York Sen.
Hillary Clinton's lead in early polls and her ability to raise large sums of money.

"There's not a lot of fire out there for Kerry," he said.

Kerry's image as a Northeast liberal with fuzzy views on major issues like
Iraq would make him vulnerable once more, said Kaufman, who was White House political director for Bush's father, President George H.W. Bush.

"I go to bed every night praying Kerry is the nominee again," he said.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:50:57 PM EDT

Oh bring it on. A gift to the GOP!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:54:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By No-Worries:

Oh bring it on. A gift to the GOP!

That's what I'm thinkin'.......

but what about Hitlery???
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:57:25 PM EDT
[Snicker] John Kerry [/Snicker]

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:58:24 PM EDT
Oh Joy
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:04:14 PM EDT
Give me a break with this, I know the democratic leadership is delusional, but they didn't opt to run Gore again, and he actually won (despite what we all like to believe). So I can't see them running Kerry again, and they'd be just plain fucking stupid to run Hillary, might as well concede the election before they even start campaigning.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:06:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PanzerMK7:
Give me a break with this, I know the democratic leadership is delusional, but they didn't opt to run Gore again, and he actually won (despite what we all like to believe). So I can't see them running Kerry again, and they'd be just plain fucking stupid to run Hillary, might as well concede the election before they even start campaigning.

Gore won?

You do understand the Electoral College, don't ya?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:14:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2006 1:15:30 PM EDT by PanzerMK7]
I am of course refering to the "vote count" debachle, I have always been of the opinion that something shady happened down there. I know alot of people don't agree with me, but just because it turned out the way we wanted doesn't mean it was on the up and up, denial aint just a river in Egypt.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:18:11 PM EDT

I am of course refering to the "vote count" debachle, I have always been of the opinion that something shady happened down there. I know alot of people don't agree with me, but just because it turned out the way we wanted doesn't mean it was on the up and up, denial aint just a river in Egypt.

Well, all the liberal newspapers counted the votes themselves and Bush won per their tally.

So what's your point?

Bush got the majority of the vote in Florida, got the electoral votes, and won the election.

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLITICS/04/04/florida.recount.01/

If a recount of Florida's disputed votes in last year's close presidential election had been allowed to proceed by the U.S. Supreme Court, Republican George W. Bush still would have won the White House, two newspapers reported Wednesday.

The Miami Herald and USA Today conducted a comprehensive review of 64,248 "undercounted" ballots in Florida's 67 counties that ended last month.

Their count showed that Bush's razor-thin margin of 537 votes -- certified in December by the Florida Secretary of State's office -- would have tripled to 1,665 votes if counted according to standards advocated by his Democratic rival, former Vice President Al Gore.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:43:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2006 11:43:45 AM EDT by PanzerMK7]
Fine man, I disagree but that's no big deal, I can't quote sources without putting more time and effort into this post than it's worth but i've read enough into it that I am confident in my conclusion, you can have your opinion, i'll have mine, and the world will keep turning. Notice that all I said was that "something shady" went on, I didn't point any fingers, because it would just be wild speculation.

And I love it when people start throwing around the " Liberal media" cliche, I'm a conservative at my core, but seriously, that's just an old fucking wives tale, just because the conspiracy theorists believe it, dosen't make it true. I submit as evidence the phenomenon of nearly every news organization, large and small, sucking the GOP's dick for more than 4 years, then, Katrina hits, and all of a sudden it's stylish to criticize them again, so they do. The news organizations have no political allegiance, they just report whatever the people want to hear. Rant over.

Disclaimer : The above was in no way intended to incite a pissing match between myself and my fellow esteemed ARFCOMer's, though i'm sure someone will take offense at it, someone always does.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:22:46 PM EDT

And I love it when people start throwing around the " Liberal media" cliche, I'm a conservative at my core, but seriously, that's just an old fucking wives tale, just because the conspiracy theorists believe it, dosen't make it true.

Really?

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:15:51 AM EDT
Look, I don't want to turn this into a pissing match, I'm sure that there are plenty of editorials out there that support liberal views, but i'm also sure that there are just as many that support conservative views. All i'm trying to say is that the concept of a bunch of liberal media moguls getting together in a board room somewhere and plotting the downfall of the GOP is ludicrous.

Todays news organizations are businesses first, and avenues of truth a distant second. They report whatever gets good ratings, today that might be liberal views, tomorrow conservative. Does anyone remember Laci Petersen? That woman who was alledgedly murdered in California, for months that was the biggest thing in the news every damn day, why the hell was that news worthy? Short answer, people wanted to see it and the news organizations obliged. How about the girl who disappeared in Haiti (or wherever) for weeks we were subjected to that ridiculous shit, both of these things were worth at best a 15 second spot said in passing, but instead they became the dominant story for huge stretches of time.

Basically, all i'm trying to say is that the news organizations don't have a driving political agenda, these days they have degenarated into little more than glorified soap operas.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:57:18 PM EDT
Biach Klinton OR Kerry dont have a chance in hel IMO ------------

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/buzgn/th_kerry_ketchup_lies.jpg
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:22:42 PM EDT
If the news is so innocent and great why the hell don't we hear about government fraud, waste, and corruption?

Perhaps because they too are players in this racket.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:46:43 AM EDT
Hopefully they will run Kerry again! It will be a easy win for us.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:22:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By double_trouble_2003:
[Snicker] John Kerry [/Snicker]

img453.imageshack.us/img453/2616/kerry12ko.th.jpg

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:45:33 AM EDT
This man?

Please.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:58:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bulldog1967:
This man?

idisk.mac.com/jenlart/Public/jfk-pink.jpg

Please.

Could be this guy... here's his 'nam picture...

Hint... He's still crying about losing in 2000.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:07:14 AM EDT
But the lineup will be Hillary/Kerry 2008
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:40:30 AM EDT
Sorry.... Hillary wouldn't allow that. Short of jumping in my time travelling Delorean and getting pictures of her running I believe with 99% certainty that she'll be on the ticket for the Dems.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:03:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/27/2006 11:07:25 PM EDT by mytwocents]
Kerry would of won the election if he just came out and said
We were all pussys that didnt want to be painted as unpatriotic so we all jumped on the Iraq Band wagon thinking we could keep our jobs.

Instead we heard bullshit from him on why he voted for the war which is exactly what ove wanted him to do as AM radio had prepped the smear campaign by painting him as a waffler.

Oh yeah and Bush only won in 2000 cause he got the black vote "Clarence Thomas"

Dont worry about the election in 2008. Its pointless. Before 2008 a horrible terrorist attack will prompt Bush to suspend the constitution. Of course lawsuits will be filed and they will all go to the supreme court were His hand picked justices will have the majority and claim his dictatorship legal until the war on terrorism is fully prosecuted to the end. Any and all dissent will be squashed and the dissenters taken away to secret locations to be tortured to death by 3rd world countrys
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:27:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kissfan:

Originally Posted By bulldog1967:
This man?

idisk.mac.com/jenlart/Public/jfk-pink.jpg

Please.

Could be this guy... here's his 'nam picture...

gunsafety.kisscentral.net/images/gore_nam.jpg

Hint... He's still crying about losing in 2000.

Is that the internet in his backpack?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:34:46 AM EDT
"He is also a Vietnam veteran"
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:07:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By alpo:
"He is also a Vietnam veteran" hr

You mean like Bush Cheney wolfowicz and rumsfeld?

I find it hilarious Limbaugh called clinton draft dodger in chief. And Remember when Limbaugh during clontons first election said america held hostage. He claimed since Clinton only won the electoral college and not the majority of votes that america was held hostage By clinton.
Can you tell me if Bush won the majority of popular votes in the last two elections? No he didnt
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:49:20 PM EDT
I think he actually did win the popular vote in '04, FWIW. I'll look for some solid numbers to back that up. But I agree with you on the overall. Complete hypocrisy on the part of some of the Ultra-Cons.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:00:56 PM EDT
Jeebus!
Must be bored over at DU since they're all coming over here again.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:13:32 PM EDT
Well not from DU. And im actually off my mission. Which is to get a picture of pickles the cat.
Later. Thanks for confirming your intelligence by assuming i must be from some other web site cause i disagree with you
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:31:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mytwocents:
Well not from DU. And im actually off my mission. Which is to get a picture of pickles the cat.
Later. Thanks for confirming your intelligence by assuming i must be from some other web site cause i disagree with you

well....
...bye.
Top Top