http://www.swissinfo.org/sen/swissinfo.html?siteSect=111&sid=5273914

Fixed your URL

YOu are 0 for 2 today, bud.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Dang.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:01:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I got redirectd to Microsofts website when i clikc your link so here is the real link (hopefully)

Clicky
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#5]
All those nice 550s....

That is so cool. What the hell are the whiney Liberals bitching about? Oh. Guns in the hands of private citizens. Got it.

ETA:Analysts say organised criminals do not use Swiss military weapons, but the experts cannot deny that the abuse of such weapons is always possible.

Hey, a CAR, COULD be used to KILL someone. We should ban them. And water, pillows, gas, matches, hammers, anything with a cutting edge, fists....
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Analysts say organised criminals do not use Swiss military weapons, but the experts cannot deny that the abuse of such weapons is always possible.

So they are not used in crime but could be and so should be banned by the EU.

Right.........
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:25:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Who cares? What's so special about a Sig 550? Another 5.56mm poodle shooter?

Ben
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Ben

Yah, but those are some mean poodles!  
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hey, a CAR, COULD be used to KILL someone. We should ban them. And water, pillows, gas, matches, hammers, anything with a cutting edge, fists....

You have you heard of "car bombs" haven't you?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Ben

They use it in 5.6
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#13]
The picture shows a rifle with a magazine but the article states:

But when military service is over, even this restriction is lifted: a form is filled in and the soldier can keep his weapon for the rest of his life. The only safety measure is that the magazine is removed.

So do they have an unlimited supply of magazines or not?  Pointless having an Assault Rifle (finally used correctly) without a magazine.  Common sense tells me they can buy magazines and ammo but the article does sound confusing.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#14]

A review of the present law promises tighter gun controls, but already the market is awash with ex-military rifles and pistols at knockdown prices.

A militia army - the principle, whereby every able-bodied man can be called on for national defence - still holds good in many countries, not only Switzerland.

But there is one thing that distinguishes Swiss militiamen from their counterparts elsewhere: a minor detail, normally hidden away in a wardrobe, the cellar or the attic of the family home.

Those who serve their country are issued, along with their uniforms and mess tin, with an assault rifle and, in some cases, a regulation pistol.

Sounds good to me.  Wish it were so here.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The picture shows a rifle with a magazine but the article states:

But when military service is over, even this restriction is lifted: a form is filled in and the soldier can keep his weapon for the rest of his life. The only safety measure is that the magazine is removed.

So do they have an unlimited supply of magazines or not?  Pointless having an Assault Rifle (finally used correctly) without a magazine.  Common sense tells me they can buy magazines and ammo but the article does sound confusing.

I think that line is a matter of the writer not making clear what they are saying.

Probably means that upon discharge the former soldier fills out a form, mag and ammo are removed and handed and the now militaman can take his rifle.

EDIT: A country being "awash" in firearms sounds like a country with polite neighbors.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:35:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

A review of the present law promises tighter gun controls, but already the market is awash with ex-military rifles and pistols at knockdown prices.

A militia army - the principle, whereby every able-bodied man can be called on for national defence - still holds good in many countries, not only Switzerland.

But there is one thing that distinguishes Swiss militiamen from their counterparts elsewhere: a minor detail, normally hidden away in a wardrobe, the cellar or the attic of the family home.

Those who serve their country are issued, along with their uniforms and mess tin, with an assault rifle and, in some cases, a regulation pistol.

Sounds good to me.  Wish it were so here.  

Wouldn't work here. The Libs would be crying for our illegals to have the same "benefits" so they weren't "discriminated" against...
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#17]
"An armed society is a polite society!"

Those Swiss have 0 crime... kinda shows something...
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#18]
"A legal loophole allows these weapons to be traded freely, causing embarrassment to the authorities and provoking protests from those who fear dire consequences."

Holy hell... I'm reading this article and it hits me... the New York Times has invaded Switzerland! Is nothing sacred?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top