Posted: 4/23/2003 9:01:30 PM EDT
[url]http://greenvilleonline.com/news/2003/04/22/200304225152.htm [/url]

CRC
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 9:08:03 PM EDT
[#1]
bummer !
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#2]
This happened to a Phx P.D. officer.  He got home after shift, dropped his gear and ran into the bathroom.

His little kid got his weapon and shot himself in the abdomen.  The kid will make a full recovery.

Pressing charges is just adding insult to injury.  What is to be gained?  Nothing.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Pressing charges is just adding insult to injury.  What is to be gained?  Nothing.
View Quote

Exactly it is bad enough his child was shot, and yes the Trooper should have been more careful with his Weapon, but damn why would you persecute or attempt to punish any descent person after their child was shot.

This is [bs] [bs]  
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I know of a guy in Duncan, OK who's 2 year old got accidentally killed when he left a circular saw on a sawhorse outside his house. He just turned his back for a second and did not leave the kid alone at any time, he just turned his back. A circular saw (do you get my point?) My condolences to all of them just the same.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I know of a guy in Duncan, OK who's 2 year old got accidentally killed when he left a circular saw on a sawhorse outside his house. He just turned his back for a second and did not leave the kid alone at any time, he just turned his back. A circular saw (do you get my point?) My condolences to all of them just the same.
View Quote

Are you guys kinding me? Hardly the same thing. That cop is getting what he deserves.

So my kid gets into the whiskey at home takes off in his car and kills a family and I should not be held responsible? Same thing.

We should be held liable for our actions. Pro gun or not a GLOCK has no safety and does not belong laying around?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with muzzlebrk here.  We are always the ones bitching about personal freedom and how people shouldn't be charged with "pre-crimes" like owning guns and speeding, only crimes like shooting people and causing car crashes.  Well, this guy exercised his freedom to leave a loaded gun accessible to his boy, and the result was a crime.

Edited to add:
I was a little too sobered by the story, I forgot to add the obligatory smartass remark:

[b][red]"9 mm Glock service revolver"[/red][/b]?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I leave my guns laying around, however no kids around and never have any one who has kids over. Also never have kept a loaded gun Ammo is safe far away from the gun except the 3 30's in the night stand.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#8]
EVERYONE has a brain fart!

If it was shown that he always left loaded firearms accessable to kids, MAYBE i could see going after him.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you guys kinding me? Hardly the same thing. That cop is getting what he deserves.

So my kid gets into the whiskey at home takes off in his car and kills a family and I should not be held responsible? Same thing.

We should be held liable for our actions. Pro gun or not a GLOCK has no safety and does not belong laying around?
View Quote

So can you please show me the safety on a revolver?  Pretty please?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
EVERYONE has a brain fart!

If it was shown that he always left loaded firearms accessable to kids, MAYBE i could see going after him.
View Quote

Well, Officer, I was tired, so I leaned back against the launch console.  Guess I sat on the launch button.  How was I to know the missle was targeted at Moscow?

With loaded firearms, like nuclear warheads, there are no "accidental" discharges, only "negligent" discharges.  Doubly so if kids are around.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 8:34:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:04:51 PM EDT
[#12]
So their logic is: The death of his child is not enough of a horrible punishment that he will have to live with forever, but also he should lose his job so it will be harder to provide for his other two kids.  Just great.

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#13]
My question is why didn't the 15 year-old son know that:

IF YOU SEE A GUN:
STOP!
DON'T TOUCH.
LEAVE THE AREA.
TELL AN ADULT.

AND-

ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED;
NEVER POINT A GUN AT ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY;
KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON TARGET;
KNOW YOUR TARGET, WHAT'S BEHIND AND BEYOND IT...

...'unintentional discharges' are almost always a result of not following one or more of the above.
Copy and paste them, print them, put them on the refrigerator, pass them around, tell your kids, whatever.
Gun Safety SHOULD be taught in school as well as at home.

I think the Officer is suffering enough trauma without losing the Job, too.
Creative punishment is in order here, not further destruction of that family's lives.

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for posting this as a reminder.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:39:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Would anybody here choose not to charge a drunk driver who killed the passenger of his car?  I think that the circumstances and the effect on the family need to be taken into account during sentencing (if convicted), but if the grand jury sees reason to indict, he should go to trial.

[b][NOT COP BASHING MODE][/b]
We expect a higher standard from LEOs than Billy Bob in the trailer park.
[b][/NOT COP BASHING MODE][/b]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:59:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well, this guy exercised his freedom to leave a loaded gun accessible to his boy, and the result was a [red]crime[/red].
View Quote

Not a crime, but an accident.  An accident that could have been prevented.  [s]Thank God that the father and son have a chance to learn from that accident.[/s]  

A crime?  I would like to know what the criminal intent was.

Edited to say I should have read the article first.  I didn't realize the 8 year old had died.  I've said it before though, these type of stories need to be used to teach our own kids the importance of gun safety.  The 15 year old should have known not to even touch the gun.  It's very sad.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:21:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Also never have kept a loaded gun Ammo is safe far away from the gun except the 3 30's in the night stand.
View Quote

An unloaded gun is as useful as a baseball bat....maybe less so...

Scott
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:24:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Lol I dont keep my guns loaded sorry. I can pop a clip in in less then 2 seconds and I like to dry fire when bored. Last thing I want to do is reach for a gun and pop.

Also if he was 15 is he still a kid?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:47:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I like to dry fire when bored. Last thing I want to do is reach for a gun and pop.
View Quote

Sounds like a ND waiting to happen.

Scott
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:22:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top