Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2005 3:40:53 AM EDT
Katrina sparks gun-buying spree
Sep 12 2005 02:32:23:560PM
linky

Baton Rouge, Louisiana - Marshall Morgan is selling guns faster than he can replace them amid security fears in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

"We could hardly keep up. We would sell out of everything," said Morgan, owner of Precision Firearms and Indoor Range in Louisiana's state capital.

He estimated that his sales are 10 times what they were before Hurricane Katrina slammed into the US Gulf of Mexico coast August 29.

The storm caused massive devastation in the states of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, displacing more than a million people and leaving the city of New Orleans swamped and emptied of its people.

Many of the displaced have settled in Baton Rouge, nearly doubling the city's normal population of 228 000.

The storm's aftermath also brought a wave of violent crime, with reports of armed gangs patrolling New Orleans stealing whatever they wanted.

There were reports that people seeking shelter in the city's Superdome sports stadium were raped and murdered, and rescue workers were fired on several times.

Authorities said a massive influx of police from all across the US, along with 50 000 National Guard troops, has restored order to New Orleans and other hurricane-ravaged areas. But residents remain jittery.

New Orleans has always been a dangerous city because of crime, "and people know that and that's why these people want guns," Morgan said. There's also "the fear of the bad element getting permanently displaced here," he said.

Among the popular sellers at his store is the Colt AR-15, a $900 semiautomatic copy of the US military's M-16 rifle.

'We've been selling a lot. We sold a load of AK-47s, too," said salesperson Tony Fazzio, standing in front of a half-empty display case.

In Covington, north of New Orleans, signs have sprung up warning looters would be shot, and residents have erected roadblocks to check identification.

"We shoot looters," read the cardboard sign at the entrance to the River Oaks subdivision, with the word "shoot" underlined twice for emphasis.

Many residents openly carry guns, while others flock to $100 classes required to obtain a state permit to carry a concealed weapon.

"Every time we schedule a new date for a concealed-carry class, it fills up," Morgan said.

In Metairie, a New Orleans suburb, Oscar Paysse and Brant Plaisted carried .357 Magnum revolvers as they rescued their belongings from their flooded homes. They said they had seen widespread looting in the wake of Katrina, and were prepared to protect their property.

"The policeman told us, 'You got a pistol, shoot to kill'," Paysse said.

The boom in gun sales also is boosted by New Orleans police officers who lost their weapons in the storm's aftermath and need to re-equip in order to help secure the city, said Don Hogan, owner of Baton Rouge Police Supply.

He said: "They're looking to come up here to buy guns so they can go back down there and work.

"It's been wild around here."

alternate version
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:42:09 AM EDT
[#1]
colts for only $900?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:44:14 AM EDT
[#2]
It may be news, but this isn't "new."
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:46:13 AM EDT
[#3]
WOW.  the second ammendment works?
who would have thought  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:48:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Among the popular sellers at his store is the Colt AR-15, a $900 semiautomatic copy of the US military's M-16 rifle.

Cessna Piper Cub, a copy of the US military F16 Fighter Jet.  I hate the press.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:55:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
colts for only $900?

Other than everyone on this board, I think most people believe that Colt is the only producer of AR's.  They don't know that there are like 12-18 other companies that make some type of part for the rifle.

I like how he calls them AK-47's instead of AKM
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:00:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Well, they could be milled...

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:06:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:10:19 AM EDT
[#8]
everything is fine and dandy till they determine you can't have them anymore when you try to hold the fort
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:16:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Cessna Piper Cub, a copy of the US military F16 Fighter Jet.hate

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:38:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What exactly is wrong with his description of the AR?  It's bascially right...and that is how I describe it to people that don't know what an AR-15 is.  Jeez, the media actually get's something pretty close to accurate when it comes to firearms and people still bitch.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:42:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Quoted:

What exactly is wrong with his description of the AR?  It's bascially right...and that is how I describe it to people that don't know what an AR-15 is.  Jeez, the media actually get's something pretty close to accurate when it comes to firearms and people still bitch.

+1

I honestly don't see what is wrong with this comparison....

How can you even liken this to comparing a Piper Cub to an F-16?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:44:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Quoted:

+2
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:45:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Most importantly with this report is WHY people are buying the AR15's - because they are the most effective tool when it comes to defending self and property.

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:51:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Look at that, Katrina is improving the US economy by spurring the sale of US weaponry! Who says the US is lost in manufacturing?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:59:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I know my unarmed friends would be looking over my collection if SHTF occurs in colorado.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:01:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Yah so what, people are buying guns big shit. How many of them are going to join the NRA, GOA or one of the other pro gun groups?? How many are going to actually take the time to learn to use them by taking a pistol/rifle/shotgun class(something other then a CCW course if they even take that)? How many are going to take the time to practice and get/stay proficiant with thier firearm? How many are going to just put the gun away when all this shit is over with and not touch it again till the "next" disaster?

My guess is 10% or less will take the time to learn to actually use thier gun and keep using it after all this shit is overwith, and mybe 5% will end up joining a group like the NRA or GOA.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:03:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Yah so what, people are buying guns big shit. How many of them are going to join the NRA, GOA or one of the other pro gun groups?

My guess is 10% or less will take the time to learn to actually use thier gun and keep using it after all this shit is overwith, and mybe 5% will end up joining a group like the NRA or GOA.

It's a start, bud. Now they have a stake in gun rights, which they didn't beforehand.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:05:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
colts for only $900?

This guy runs a pretty good range when the hunters aren't screwing it up sighting in their 5 shot a season rifles.
My wife bought my Colt from him and I know it was more than 900 bucks (I told her never to tell me..I don't wanna know, but I wanted a Colt).
His prices aren't the best in town but they're not too bad.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:07:48 AM EDT
[#19]
This is why you should have enough guns to arm your friends/family/neighbors.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:13:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

+2

+3, I just wish they had not mentioned the AK. For some reason I think the anti-gunners will fear the phrase AK-47 much more than AR-15........
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:16:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Most importantly with this report is WHY people are buying the AR15's - because they are the most effective tool when it comes to defending self and property.

CMOS

+1
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:16:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:17:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:19:23 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
i predict massive amounts of never fired used guns on the market 6 months to a year from now.

Being from Baton Rouge I'm counting on it. And I'll be there to buy them for pennies on the dollar.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:20:53 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
i predict massive amounts of never fired used guns on the market 6 months to a year from now.

6 months after Y2K I had my pick of unwanted generators
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:24:50 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
99% of those buying them probably have no clue about their use or capabilities. they saw the cops and NG carrying them so thats what they wanted.

Sounds like the "new" Iraqi Army. But hey, who can blame them? It is a cool-looking gun.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:25:43 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
colts for only $900?

Other than everyone on this board, I think most people believe that Colt is the only producer of AR's.  They don't know that there are like 12-18 other companies that make some type of part for the rifle.

Strue. RO at the range last week called my Kimber a 'Colt 45'.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:27:39 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Was he black?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:30:29 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yah so what, people are buying guns big shit. How many of them are going to join the NRA, GOA or one of the other pro gun groups?

It's a start, bud. Now they have a stake in gun rights, which they didn't beforehand.

How much of a stake in gun rights do they really have? They have seen first hand the NEED for having them true. But once things go back to normal do you really think that most of them would continue to see that "need" or will they go back to being sheep. My money is on the go back to being sheep. They will get rid of them or put them away till the next time and never touch them again. They won't get involved and they won't join the NRA or GOA or any other pro second group. The best that we can hope for is some kid growing up to become a politician and saying "I remember back when Hurricane Katrina hit, my parents standing there with guns guarding the house from looters because the police had no control over the city and there was no security." while explaining they believe so strongly in the second amendment.  Kinda like how Condi explains her stance on the 2nd.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:33:40 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
colts for only $900?

Did the RO look like this guy?

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:30:19 AM EDT
[#31]
an aquantiance of mine is a large dealer/distrubutor in the dallas area, i was in big D last week after a search and rescue of my parents from the s miss area,
he told me he was filling orders for "lots" of shotguns heading to the baton rouge area..
by his comment and mannerism it seemed an unprecedentaed amount he was getting orders for.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:43:08 AM EDT
[#32]
My best friend came up from Mississippi (due to an injury not involved in Katrina) for a few days (back to Ohio...he's National Guard deployed to Camp Shelby.  Basically everyone in his unit bought guns (the ones that didn't have them already) because there are so many problems in the area.  I let him borrow my SIG 220, he says it's fucking crazy down there.  He lives in the Hattiesburg area right next to Southern Miss.  I've still got my AK, AR, some .22s, a .243, a .30-06, a K98, and a P14-45 to hold Ft. Ohio for a few weeks until I begin basic training (w00t)
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:49:06 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
This is why you should have enough guns to arm your friends/family/neighbors.

I do x2 but they have a good supply of there own. nice to have pro-gun nabors
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:10:11 AM EDT
[#34]
This happens after every major disaster.  Those unprepared realize they are ultimately the ones responsible for their own saftey.  

Same thing happned after the LA riots, and 9/11.  As I recall after 9/11 the only things selling well were bibles and firearms.

The good news - in 6 months after the sheep go back to sleep we will have a flood of slightly or  even nib firearms on the market
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Yep. Same thing after Andrew. People were begging for firearms.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#36]

As I recall after 9/11 the only things selling well were bibles and firearms.

As i recall BEFORE 9/11 the only things selling well in Afghanistan were Korans and firearms. ..........................................................
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top