Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/9/2018 3:42:00 AM EDT
6-7 years old, but I just found it tonight, thought it might be food for thought:

http://www.bluesheepdog.com/2013/03/08/kcpd-badge-placement-study/

in my personal experience, I never got shot in plainclothes. But *everybody* got shot in sims. Other people in uniforms that the initial responders should have known would be there got shot. Basically, everybody with a gun in a scenario stood a 75% chance of taking a reflexively fired round if you weren't aware of them coming up first and was very deliberate in your speech and actions....
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 5:15:01 PM EDT
Our area (Annapolis, Maryland) just had an active shooter. I was on the way into work, where i am a plain clothes detective. When I got there, I was one of the first in, and while clearing there were several close calls even though I had a black tac vest with "POLICE" on it. Under stress, guys have a hard time seeing anything but a uniform.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 11:16:54 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CigarVet:
Our area (Annapolis, Maryland) just had an active shooter. I was on the way into work, where i am a plain clothes detective. When I got there, I was one of the first in, and while clearing there were several close calls even though I had a black tac vest with "POLICE" on it. Under stress, guys have a hard time seeing anything but a uniform.
View Quote
When I was plain clothes, I had a lightweight raid jacket (cut the armpits out) with SHERIFF on the forearms. Initially I thought it was a little ghey, but when moving and clearing, the SHERIFF led directly into my mitts with the pistol or long gun, and was almost never blocked by anything.

My knock knock vest had a little panel over the left tit, and a big one on the back; those were routinely blocked with straps and stuff. With the advent of airsoft and citizens buying armor, seeing armor wouldn't be as big an indicator to me as it did in the 90's.

Glad you didn't catch a round though
Top Top