Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 6:26:36 AM EDT
What is the penalty for owning an unregistered "Assault Weapon" in Kalifornia?

I'm just curious.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:28:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I think they force you to attend a hollywood premier for a Michael Moore movie, and you have to sit between Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:29:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I think they force you to attend a hollywood premier for a Michael Moore movie, and you have to sit between Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins

Death. Gotcha!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:30:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Death. Gotcha!

It's worse than death...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:31:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Fineswine. You have to hit it!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:33:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I believe its 10yrs and $10K per occurrence.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:38:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Fineswine. You have to hit it!

Images from that scene in Kingpin between Woody and his landlady popped in my head
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:24:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Check out this link re: penalties for possession of an unregistered AW in California:

caag.state.ca.us/firearms/dwcl/12275.htm
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:28:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I've read of three people in SB County that got theirs confiscated along with other guns. One had a court order to return the weapons, minus the aw's, but hasn't recieved them.

The two others were arrested, guns confiscated, but have not heard of charges agianst them, or are pending.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Check out this link re: penalties for possession of an unregistered AW in California:

caag.state.ca.us/firearms/dwcl/12275.htm

That is a LONG law!

It appears to be a misdemenor. Less than 1 year incarceration and/or a $350-$500 fine.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#10]
you will lose all your firearms rights and never be able to purchase or own any more firearms again plus you will have a criminal record.

your more likely to get fined than serve any prison time
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#11]
That misdemeanor penalty is only for the first offense and with the condition that you only have one or two (max) listed firearms in your possession and you have not been convicted of the same offense already.

This portion of the section states that upon conviction you could be sentenced to State prison, which is only for felonies. You can be sentenced to County jail for either a felony or a misdemeanor up to one year for one offense. Sentences for multiple offenses can be run consectutivley, so it is possible that you could spend more than one year in County jail. So this offense looks like it is a "wobbler" and can be charges as a felony or a misdeameanor. This is up to the discretion of the D.A. that is charging the case or the judge hearing the case.

"Except as provided in Section 12288, and in subdivisions (c) and (d), any person who, within this state, possesses any assault weapon, except as provided in this chapter, is guilty of a public offense and upon conviction shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison, or in a county jail, not exceeding one year".

In addition to all this, you will also have the firearm(s) confiscated and destroyed. If you get convicted of a felony you will lose ALL of your other guns and the ability to possess them ever again!!!!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top