Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2006 2:36:48 PM EDT
Well two friends got the itch for a small concealed carry gun and they picked up these little guys. One was carrying a Browning Hi Power in a shoulder holster and the other a P90 Ruger .45 so the switch was drastic in size!

Overall I am very impressed with the feel of these guns. They seem VERY solid.
The stainless is a MK9 and the synthetic is a PM9. The MK9 has had 200 rounds of Silver Bear run through it with only 3 stove pipes (hey I didn't buy the ammo!).

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#1]
how do they compare to a smith 640 size wise??
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:59:38 PM EDT
[#2]
What is that key for?  Its identical some older Mercedes keys except for the color.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#3]
i'll wait for the new Kel Tec single stack 9.  should be even smaller, and from a great company like KT.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:02:57 PM EDT
[#4]
How is the DAO trigger?  I've never gotten to shoot one, but I've been intrigued with them for a long time.

Not that a CCW weapon really does me any good in this part of Cali.  It's near impossible to get your liscence.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a PM9 this weekend for my daughter, put 300 rounds through it Sunday.  Can't believe what a nice little gun it is.  Very, very smooth double action trigger, I was shooting 2" groups at 10 yards with it in no time.  Great sights, incredibly small, but fun to shoot.  Quite a snappy recoil due to it's light weight, about 16 ounces, but not too bad.

I'm extemely pleased with it, now just need to save up the money to buy another one for me...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought one for my wife, but since she doesn't carry it, I do. If she ever starts packing, I would have to get another.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Please give me more of these, I sometimes miss some good stuff and this may be one of those.
Cal?
Cap of the mag?
feel for large hands?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I sold my S&W 642 a couple weeks ago to buy a Kahr PM9

1.25 inches shorter in length
.45 inches thinner
1 inch shorter in height
same weight as an Airweight Smith 642 (15 oz.)

More powerful
2 more rounds
much better sights
much faster to reload
hell of a lot less recoil

My Kahr

With the rest of the CCDW family.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How is the DAO trigger?  I've never gotten to shoot one, but I've been intrigued with them for a long time.

The trigger is excellent. The length of travel and reset are about the same a Smith J-frame, but lighter and smoother with no take up or creep. The trigger pull on my PM9 is about 7 pounds.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:41:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Are they Kaboom free?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The MK9 has had 200 rounds of Silver Bear run through it with only 3 stove pipes (hey I didn't buy the ammo!).

I don't own a Khar, but I was just looking at one tonight.  Nice guns.  Please note that these guns do need break in periods, 200 rounds being the MINIMUM break in for them and the stove pipes are most likely the gun.  I would not carry one until I put 500 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The trigger is excellent. The length of travel and reset are about the same a Smith J-frame, but lighter and smoother with no take up or creep. The trigger pull on my PM9 is about 7 pounds.

WOW!    Modern DA triggers seem a heck of a lot nicer than the old stuff I've shot.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
i'll wait for the new Kel Tec single stack 9.  should be even smaller, and from a great company like KT.

Do you have any more info or links for more info on the new keltec 9?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Napoleon_Tanerite wrote:
from a great company like KT.

You've said some off of the wall stuff lately, but that one has to be the worst.  Kel-Tec a great company?  Their products need work out of the box, and their customer service sucks.  My P-32 has been back three times so far, and I still don't think I've made it through an entire magazine yet without a problem even though I've fired over 700 rounds through it.    It still needs a new frame and it took three trips back before they finally replaced the barrel with the bad lug on the bottom.  Maybe things will get better now that they're rid of Cliff and Carol, but I haven't seen that.  You really need to spend more time reading at this site and other gun sites before posting something like that.z
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:14:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have any more info or links for more info on the new keltec 9?

From Kel-Tec's web site:

www.kel-tec.com/old-site/pf9pr.htm

The list price for the hard chromed one is $368.  That's way too much money for something that will not work out of the box from a company with service as horrible as Kel-Tec's.  I'd spend a little more and buy a Kahr or one of the smallest Glocks.z
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

They are INSANELY tiny. I mean like you pick them up and go "Geezus that's small!" tiny. Like "This is great.....but there is no way this little thing can actually shoot" tiny.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Not that a CCW weapon really does me any good in this part of Cali.  It's near impossible to get your liscence.

The trigger on every Kahr pistol I have ever tried or handled has been very good. Very smooth, quite light, easily manageable. Much better than most J frame revolvers I have ever tried.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Glocks for me, as I picked one brand for multiple calibers and familiarity. The Kahr's do look good.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Only 3 stove pipes? Imagine how it'll do when full of a week's worth of pocket lint and grime.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are INSANELY tiny. I mean like you pick them up and go "Geezus that's small!" tiny. Like "This is great.....but there is no way this little thing can actually shoot" tiny.

They are FAR easier to shoot well than a J-frame.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:16:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I have put a few hundred rounds through my PM9 and never had a jam.  The trigger is kind of heavy but appropriate for this type of handgun, and decent accuracy is possible.

The mag release needs to be a little stiffer.  I have a tendency to accidentally drop the mag, but only when using the extended mags.

I'd trade it for a single-stack Glock 9mm, but only because that is what I am used to.  The Kahr seems like a solid little pistol.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I love my P9 it's a super little pistol
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:20:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Is the PM9 DAO?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Is the PM9 DAO?

It has a longer pull like a DAO, but is actually halfway reset by the slide, similar to the GLOCK operation.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Okay,  I just spent 20 minutes on their web site...

I am impressed. It's great to see an American company market what appear to be quality and fair priced products.  The D2 steel folding bayo is really cool. I also like their rifes. I may have to try pick up one of their folding 556 long guns.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Napoleon_Tanerite wrote:

You've said some off of the wall stuff lately, but that one has to be the worst.  Kel-Tec a great company?  Their products need work out of the box, and their customer service sucks.  My P-32 has been back three times so far, and I still don't think I've made it through an entire magazine yet without a problem even though I've fired over 700 rounds through it.    It still needs a new frame and it took three trips back before they finally replaced the barrel with the bad lug on the bottom.  Maybe things will get better now that they're rid of Cliff and Carol, but I haven't seen that.  You really need to spend more time reading at this site and other gun sites before posting something like that.z

I have had ZERO problems from my Kel-Tec. I have already ordered my new PF-9. I don't believe everything that I read on gun sites, either.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#27]
I was really shocked how well they shot.  Nice weapon.  I haven't run a ton of rounds through them, but I was definitely impressed with it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:06:28 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
They are FAR easier to shoot well than a J-frame.

I don't doubt it.

J frames are reliable as death itself, but hard to master.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:47:49 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Napoleon_Tanerite wrote:

Beat me to it Zoom. Kel-Tec makes some decent stuff but I wouldn't call it great. I can't count the number of P32 & P3AT sidearms we had come back because of problems. Granted they seemed to finally get it right after the first couple of years on the market but still not what I would call a great company.

Now, BOT, I think the Kahr line is very nice. The only one I've spent time behind was chambered in .40S&W, and while I don't like that caliber much the pistol still impressed me. I really like the ergonomics, and the size is perfect. By that I mean it's definitely small enough to easily conceal but still large enough to get a good solid grip on.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:10:03 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Glocks for me, as I picked one brand for multiple calibers and familiarity. The Kahr's do look good.

I carry Glocks too but that's the neat thing about these. They remind me so much of a Glock that I would consider buying one. However I would still buy a Glock due to magazine being interchangeable.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:19:48 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
What is that key for?  Its identical some older Mercedes keys except for the color.  

Chrysler Crossfire. Another small but awesome toy.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:25:16 AM EDT
[#32]
I have both, a KT 3AT, and a kahr k40, elite 98.

The kahr is awesome, great trigger and good enough accuracy, but not being a polymer, it is allmost as heavy as my kimber pro carry, SO having both and not minding a little bigger size of the 1911( not to mention it being.45, and I am able to shoot alot better with it) I end up carrying it( the 1911) more often. THat said I still can't bring myself to sell/trade the kahr. I do like it!

I bought the KT for a true pocket gun. and it is ok for that. it is tiny, and shoots ok for what it is. I have had cycling problems with it, but finding the right ammo(mine likes silvertips?), and polishing the feed ramp seemed to fix that. I think it is great for shorts, and i saw a neck holster from ctac that i would like to try, that looks like it would be perfect.

Side note,FIW,  I was able on mutiple range trips to draw the KT, from pocket, and at arms length from the target, empty the mag into a paper plate, which was at head(6') height. Good enough for a pocket gun for me.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:13:40 AM EDT
[#33]
I've been looking to get a BUG gun, something to throw in a pocket when running to the store real fast.  I've been considering either the Kahr or S&W J frame.  Current and recent production Kahrs are great, older production models had some issues so if you're buying used be cautious.  The trigger on the Kahr is kind of "spongey" not bad but different, the resistance ramps up slightly as you get closer to the trigger breaking.  The trigger on the J frame is stiffer and consistent all the way through the pull.

Both guns would serve well as a BUG gun.  The Kahr shines as it is smaller and has more capacity.  The S&W will always be more reliable, because of the trigger safer to just throw in a pocket and should you need to shoot through a pocket or deploy quickly with a shrouded hammer you can keep firing.  A Kahr will give you one shot and then jam in a pocket.

It really is a toss up.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:34:53 AM EDT
[#34]
I carry my PM9 every day in either a FIST Kydex or a Hedley pocket holster. Great little gun. I have never had a single problem of any kind with it, even during break-in.

Ed
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Crossfires freak me out.  Its like sitting in an old SLK, except everything is just a little bit different.  They even come through the port and VPC for Mercedes, I remember seeing a ton of them when they first came out, being processed at the VPC in jacksonville Fl when I was there for training.  
The two are more different than say, GMC and chevy, but strip away to the core mechanicals and electronics and they are identical.  BTW, thats a DAS key. If your car ever starts and shuts right back off, and keeps doing that, try the other key.  Usually means the transponder went bad.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:55:55 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I'm doing my best to find a thread where you haven't posted. I give up.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:30:19 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a Kel-Tec P40. Not bad, but not very good either. Trigger pull sucks.
My PM9 ROCKS!!!! Very accurate, trigger pull is great, comfortable, small, recoil is not bad ( in 9mm ).
I LOVE it.

Sam
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top