Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/24/2003 8:47:11 PM EDT
A friend of our family has been kidnapped in Grand Forks, North Dakota. To our ND members, please do all you can to help!

God Bless...

www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/7336087.htm
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm afraid that all I can do from here is offer my hopes that she is returned, safe and sound.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:52:12 PM EDT
[#2]
UND student reported missing
Dru Sjodin last was seen at Columbia Mall on Saturday; police classify disappearance as abduction
By Lisa Davis
Herald Staff Writer
View Quote

[img]http://www.grandforks.com/images/grandforks/grandforksherald/7336/53821487336.JPG[/img]
Dru Sjodin

A UND student was reported missing after she didn't show up for work Saturday night.

Dru Sjodin, 22, last was heard from at about 4 p.m. Saturday, as she was leaving from her job at Victoria's Secret in Columbia Mall.

Sjodin's family is offering a $20,000 reward for her safe return.

UND Police Chief Duane Czapiewski said Sjodin's roommate notified University Police at about 9:30 p.m. Saturday after Sjodin didn't show up for a 9 p.m. shift at her second job at the El Roco.

The case wasn't classified as anything more than a missing person case until Sunday morning, when the Grand Forks Police Department was notified, said city Detective Mike Sholes.

Sholes said as the police department's investigation into Sjodin's disappearance developed, they became more concerned.

"It's not uncommon for people to go missing for a variety of reasons, but certain characteristics of this (case) demand immediate attention," Sholes said.

Suspicious call

A cell phone call, presumably made shortly before her disappearance, has police and family concerned.

"Around 5 p.m., she was on her cell phone speaking to her boyfriend in the Cities," Sjodin's mother, Linda Walker, said from her home in Pequot Lakes, Minn. "He heard her say 'Oh, my God,' and then the phone went dead."

Sholes said the Grand Forks Police Department is investigating the case as an abduction, most likely sexually motivated.

Sjodin's car was found in a north Columbia Mall parking lot, near J.C. Penney, with the driver's side door locked and the passenger's side door unlocked. The items she had purchased at the mall after work were left either in or around the car, according to Sjodin's mother and friends.

Call from Fisher

About 8 p.m., Walker said another call from Sjodin's cell phone was made to Sjodin's boyfriend. Sjodin's boyfriend answered the call, but the line was dead.

Sholes said cellular phone information from that call encouraged the police department to focus its search in the Fisher, Minn., area.

Walker said as far as she knows, her daughter doesn't know anyone from that area and would have no reason to be there.

"She's very responsible," Walker said. "This is totally out of character for her."

The investigation

Sjodin's car was impounded Sunday morning, and immediately, Grand Forks Police began processing the car.

Grand Forks Police said they had no suspects as of Sunday evening. But Sholes said they are looking at prior abduction cases reported to police, as well as files that may have been kept regarding suspicious persons at the mall. Police also are viewing video surveillance tapes from Columbia Mall.

"If the public has any information around the parking lot on the north side of J.C. Penney's at 5 p.m., or the southeast parking lot of old Target; or if any suspicious people approached them at Columbia Mall at any time, we would like to have that information," Sholes said.

At home, Sjodin's mom pleaded for help.

"I just need everybody's help to try to find her," Walker said. "It's the worst nightmare anyone could go through."

Friends make fliers

Sjodin's friends went to work Sunday, putting up missing person signs throughout the area. They gathered at Sjodin's apartment and began calling fellow friends and students to be on the lookout for her.

Friends say Sjodin was a friendly, outgoing person who is not the type to disappear without telling someone where she was going.

"She's not the type of person that just wouldn't show up," said Ivy Arnesen. "We're just hoping to get some information about her."

About Sjodin

Sjodin graduated from high school in 2000 in the Pequot Lakes area, and was an honor student and homecoming queen, Walker said. She said Sjodin was hoping to go to Australia this summer and had plans to graduate with a degree in graphic design in August.

Sjodin is 5 feet 5 inches and weighs 130 pounds. She has frosted blond hair and blue eyes. She was last seen wearing black slacks, black loafers, a pink and purple V-neck blouse, a black blazer style jacket and a small black handbag.

Anyone with information is asked to call University Police at (701) 777-3491 or Grand Forks Police at (701) 787-8000.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry man, hope it all works out okay.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Shit, 72 hours already...
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:58:28 PM EDT
[#5]
God damn those who took her!
Keep her in your prayers people! For you women out there. This is more reason to have a CHL or if your state doesn't give them out, carry anyway!

I really hope she returns safe and soon!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#6]
~free bump~
prayers sent
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#7]
There are only city and university PD phone numbers listed? Isn't kidnapping a federal crime in the FBI's perview? They haven't been around?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Prayers sent.  

Maybe we can tack this.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#9]
[pissed]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:24:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe those of you that are members of other boards (even DU) could post the link and/or story there to get wider coverage. Least we can do from remote locations.

CW
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:24:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Almighty Father, in Jesus's name, I ask you to build a Hedge of Thorns around this Woman.... Keep her safe from further harm...

NOW!!!!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:25:49 PM EDT
[#12]
another reason why consealed carry should be legal in every state... i bet a BUNCH of kidnappings would be foiled by a face full of lead..

hope she is returned saftly....
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Jeez, that's terrible.

Best I can do is say a prayer.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:35:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Cpl. V.

Sorry to hear about this. It's the kind of thing that makes me furious yet with a completely helpless feeling. I'll pray for you and your family member's safe return. May everything work out for the best.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Tell the family to hire a private investigator immediately.  Search her room both at home at at school. Have the police interview all her friends.

Do not dicount the possibility that she was obducted by someone she knows. Her lifestyle as described in the sarticle doesnt make it sound like she is a drug addict or anything obvious like that. But I wonder about the boyfriend.  does he have any unpaid drug or gambling debts?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Can someone pin this to the top?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:47:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I know if someone like this happend to me, I would hope that everyone would join the search.  Ofcourse...I'd also hope that whoever did find me was extremely tactically trained AR15.com members with bigass ARs.   I figure..if you F with the mafia.....they will 86 you.  I figure if you F with a ARFCOM member or their "associates" (or atleast on the life threatening level) you should get 86ed too.  ofcourse that prob. wont happen.

Prayers for the family
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:52:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I heard about this earlier today.  The student gov. president sent out an e-mail with her picture, letting us know what happened.  Then tonight on the news it was ofcourse the lead story (about time).  One thing not mentioned in the print story (above) that was mentioned in the TV news was that she had recently volunteered at the homless shelter.  Yep the one with all of the pedophiles and rapists.  It is a huge building right down town.  They ofcourse wander around all the time...Yeah I live downtown.  

That said.  Those on the board who don't know ND probably don't know how unusual this is to happen here.  This is the kind of place where people like myself (Oakland, CA) and wife (Houston, TX) go to get away from this sort of crap.  Most people don't lock their doors here, car or home...  

Tomorrow there is a volunteer search party, and hopefully we will have a good turnout.  

Stay vigilant people.  Remind those you love what situational awareness means.

Our thoughts are with those who are facing this tragedy.

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:54:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
another reason why consealed carry should be legal in every state... i bet a BUNCH of kidnappings would be foiled by a face full of lead..

hope she is returned saftly....
View Quote

Just a FYI the CCW permits are handed out freely here.  The only reason needed: to be in compliance with the law.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Hello, anybody out there? PIN THIS TO THE TOP!

CW [:(!]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:13:22 PM EDT
[#21]
prayers sent.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:15:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:17:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Tacked.  Let's get her found.

-Troy
View Quote

Thanks! I've sent the link to the AK-Net forum, any help other places?

CW
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:25:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Praying.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 12:48:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Prayers outbound.  Notify me immediately when scumbag perp is identified.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:07:39 AM EDT
[#26]
I hope this turns out OK. [b]It is on national TV news.[/b]
[:(]

[devil]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:07:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Prayers on their way.

As an aside, I was startled by how closely this girl resembles an ex of mine. Wow. Almost identical.

The "P.I." route seems like a good one.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:19:12 AM EDT
[#28]
there are some things that make you so angry and frustrated it's almost impossible to express what you are feeling.

i hope, for everyone's sake, that she is found and in good health.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:31:09 AM EDT
[#29]
saw it on the news this morning...always hope for the best
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:40:19 AM EDT
[#30]
I am sorry to hear this; I have been following this story for the past couple of days.  I hope your friend is returned unharmed.  She is in my prayers.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:55:33 AM EDT
[#31]
She is my wife's soroity sister, so I don't really know her that well. My wife is pretty freaked out about the whole thing, even though we live in WI now.

Dru used to take care of our son (2 months old at the time) when we had to work or had class. We would come to pick him up, she would be sitting on the couch cuddling with him. I remember how she would get so exited to see him.

God grant me 5 minutes alone with the mother fucker that is responsible for this...
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:58:09 AM EDT
[#32]
I, too, hope you get that 5 minutes with the asshole.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:59:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Prayers inbound, my friend....

Dear Lord, don't let this happen......bring this woman home, safe and sound....

.....then drop the SOB responsible for this within 100 yards of any of us here! [pissed]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:07:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Prayers inbound, my friend....

Dear Lord, don't let this happen......bring this woman home, safe and sound....

.....then drop the SOB responsible for this within 100 yards of any of us here! [pissed]
View Quote

speak for yourself..I'll be happy with anywhere inside 900 yards[pissed]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:41:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Pic and story forward to out field office on the AFB right outside of Grand Forks.

AR15fan advise is from a pro and should be taken to heart. Make sure someone is doing this.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:15:47 AM EDT
[#36]
This is a hell of a situation. As long as someone is using her cell phone, authorities will be able to see who is being called, snatch them up and convince them to tell them who called them.
 Getting their hands on the MF who has her phone may be harder. My money is on someone who got out on parole no more than a year ago for the same thing.
 By now they probably know who they are looking for. At least I hope so.
 No justice in this life I'm afraid.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Here's hoping she gets home OK.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:21:44 AM EDT
[#38]
I prayer has been sent for Dru and her family.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:51:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Prayers sent, please keep us updated.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 12:51:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Prayers.

This really sounds bad.

Strikes me that making public the information about the cell phone is just plain stupid.  That’s the one thing that might lead authorities straight to her abductor, and maybe even to her.  And now that person presumably knows it’s being monitored.

Hopefully the police are [b]quietly[/b] tracking her credit cards and such.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#41]
prayer sent !!
came here to feel good now i am leaving very angry!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 1:57:55 PM EDT
[#42]
prayers outbound...

when they find who did it, I offer my services.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:06:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
God damn those who took her!
Keep her in your prayers people! For you women out there. This is more reason to have a CHL or if your state doesn't give them out, carry anyway!

I really hope she returns safe and soon!
View Quote

This is solid advice, and don't forget to get proper training.

God, Please aid in her safe return. Amen.
AB
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Prayer on the way.
I hope she returns safe and sound.

ARH
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:31:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

God grant me 5 minutes alone with the mother fucker that is responsible for this...
View Quote

If you can get Him to give you 5 let me know. I'll do my best to distract or hinder whom ever needs distracting so that you have all the time you need to do the job right.

My thoughts and prayers are sent.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:02:01 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't get into ND much, but I will be on the lookout in the rest of the country.  A very bad situation.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#48]
She is in our prayers tonight.

My wife and I were watching Discovery earlier about a kidnapping and were talking about how absolutely horrible it is for the family. I was holding my sleeping 15 month old baby girl and the thought of it... well, it is enough to make a hollow pit in your stomach.

God bless this girl, her family and friends.

I have a missing person case that turns 2 years old Dec 8th... She is almost certainly no longer of this Earth but we can not bring justice for her, yet. I talk to members of her family on a weekly basis. Good people. Tragic.

AR15's advice is golden.

Tell her family to live at the PD and be assholes if they have to be.

Again, prayers will go out...
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:58:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Post it again. Look at it again.

Too bad the picture can't be relayed to travelling car's GPS screens. I read the story earlier today, but only now, on ARFC, is it the first time I saw her photo. So many of these kidnapping suspects and other geographically determined criminals head straight for the road and are often caught on freeways and at highway rest stops. (Just look at Malvo and Muhammed -  rest stop). Getting the photo out as soon as possible is key.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:19:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Has there been ANY word at all?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top