Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 7:56:50 AM EDT
http://www.drudgereport.com/dncg.htm

I am glad somebody noticed it besides me. I saw him holding that semi-auto shotgun yesterday and said to myself "He wanted to ban those....Why is he holding one???"

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:57:40 AM EDT
[#1]
www.drudgereport.com/dncg.htm

It doesn't have a pistol grip.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:57:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:58:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Remember the important part "For the rest of us".  There would, without a doubt be an 'important person' exemption.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Kerry is a -
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:00:23 AM EDT
[#5]
That semi does not have a pistol grip.  No story here...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:02:26 AM EDT
[#6]
 That 1100 he's holding does have a piostol grip, just not the "Protruding" pistol grip like an AR. It has a pistol grip like a Marlin 336 or Remington 870.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:02:27 AM EDT
[#7]
LOL - pistol grip!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:02:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Another 'Poindexter' photo op!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:03:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

But it is still a semi-automatic shotgun. The question can now be asked: Senator Kerry, how much more lethal would that weapon be if it had a pistol grip on it?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:03:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:04:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX TUE SEPT 07, 2004 11:46:05 ET XXXXX

KERRY COSPONSORED BILL BANNING GUN HE WAVES

Dem presidential hopeful John Kerry was seen this weekend touting a gun which would have been banned if legislation he co-sponsored became law!

Kerry co-sponsored S. 1431 last year (“The Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2003) which would have banned a "semiautomatic shotgun that has a pistol grip.”

Kerry was presented with the gun during a Labor Day stop in Racine, West Virginia.

"I thank you for the gift, but I can't take it to the debate with me," Kerry told a cheering crowd as he held up the device.

Photos show Kerry's hand resting on the semiautomatic shotgun's pistol grip.
Kerry's bill would ban millions of semi-automatics, including those with "pistol grips." [Section SEC. 2; (H) (ii)]

Opponents of the bill successfully argued that nearly all guns have "pistol grips," inluding millions of Browning Auto-5 shotguns produced since 1903.

Developing...

that shotgun doesnt have a pistol grip
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:05:17 AM EDT
[#12]
But you know that he would WANT to ban it.  There will be some political points to be made here.

...I'm sure there is some legislation that Kerry has voted on that would ban an autoloader, just not the '94 law...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:08:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I beg to differ it has a pistol grip,  just not one "a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon"

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:13:38 AM EDT
[#14]
"That depends on what the definition of "pistol grip" is"

It looks like a pistol grip to me.  If you hacked off the rest of the stock right behind where he is holding in the photo, what would you call it?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:14:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I beg to differ it has a pistol grip,  just not one "a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon"

Exactly.

If it's not a "straight grip" ala 1895 Marlin (most of them) it's a pistol grip..i.e. curved.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:16:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.

If it's not a "straight grip" ala 1895 Marlin (most of them) it's a pistol grip..i.e. curved.

Damn you with your definitions!  The gun he holds is exempt from regulations,  you are correct sir.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:16:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Kerry was presented with the gun during a Labor Day stop in Racine, West Virginia.

"I thank you for the gift, but I can't take it to the debate with me," Kerry told a cheering crowd as he held up the device.

Cute.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:17:10 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kerry----he should get a spot on "Jackass"
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:19:24 AM EDT
[#19]
It has a pistol grip as defined in the bill he co-sponsored.

S. 1431      PISTOL GRIP- The term `pistol grip' means a grip, a thumbhole stock, or any other characteristic that can function as a grip.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:19:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Whether or not it has a pistol grip is academic since S.1431 also bans:

`(J) A frame or receiver that is identical to, or based substantially on the frame or receiver of, a firearm described in any of subparagraphs (A) through (I) or (L).

`(L) A semiautomatic rifle or shotgun originally designed for military or law enforcement use, or a firearm based on the design of such a firearm, that is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, as determined by the Attorney General. In making the determination, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that a firearm procured for use by the United States military or any Federal law enforcement agency is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, and a firearm shall not be determined to be particularly suitable for sporting purposes solely because the firearm is suitable for use in a sporting event.'.

Even without a pistol grip, John Kerry's shotgun meets both of the above.

Kerry is a guy who voted to kill CMP. If he doesn't trust you with Garands and 1903s, he isn't going to trust you with a duck gun either.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:24:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But it is still a semi-automatic shotgun. The question can now be asked: Senator Kerry, how much more lethal would that weapon be if it had a pistol grip on it?

Much more lethal, the pistol grip is so you can spray fire from the hip and kill and maim and destroy the world.  

And was Kerry suggesting that he would like to take a shotgun to his debates with President Bush?  Where is the press on THAT one?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:24:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Cool, so when does the NRA radio ad hammering him for his hypocracy come out?

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:26:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Unfortunately this little dog and pony show may influence a few (uninformed) fence sitters that he is pro-gun.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Some examples from the CMP website:

1903 stock with pistol grip

1903 stock without pistol grip

So technically, his shotgun has a "pistol grip" under the traditional definition, but it is not what is considered a pistol grip today by the ATF.  And we all know how easily the ATF can change its definition.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:30:19 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
http://www.drudgereport.com/dncg.htm

I am glad somebody noticed it besides me. I saw him holding that semi-auto shotgun yesterday and said to myself "He wanted to ban those....Why is he holding one???"

Because his campaign finally realized that if he's going to play 'Hunter', he should be seen with a gun people actually hunt with...

Not some $12000 Itallian mantlehanger...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:30:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:31:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:32:03 AM EDT
[#29]

This needs to get airtime, this is huge.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:34:54 AM EDT
[#30]
He's an elitist and doesn't want us to own firearms.  He thinks he is privliged and has the right but we common folk don't.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:36:32 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
So technically, his shotgun has a "pistol grip" under the traditional definition, but it is not what is considered a pistol grip today by the ATF.  And we all know how easily the ATF can change its definition.

Kharn

Here's the reason:

18 USC S. 921(a)(30)(B)(ii) ['94 AWB]: a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon

S. 1431 [Kerry's bill]: PISTOL GRIP- The term `pistol grip' means a grip, a thumbhole stock, or any other characteristic that can function as a grip.

Gee, I wonder if the duckhunters might need to wake up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:00:44 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.

Damn you with your definitions!  The gun he holds is exempt from regulations,  you are correct sir.

us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040906/i/r2502889888.jpg

He's looking at that thing and thinking, "That looks just like the assault shotgun I used to kill that vietnamese woman when I shot her in the back. Got my 8th silver star for that one."
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:03:50 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cool, so when does the NRA radio ad hammering him for his hypocracy come out?

NRA is staying out of the race untill the AWB dies. It has been noted that they will decide weather or not to endorse GWB again based on this issue.

McCain/Feingold may have something to do with it too...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:10:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#35]
a double barrel shotgun is all anyone really needs...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:43:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Oh my bad I thought it was about "Piss All" grips.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

But Kerry co-sponserd legislation that would have considered that as a shotgun with a pistol grip.  Read the article on Drudge, the defination for pistol grip was so vague that almost anything could be considered as a pistol grip.   The article even mentions how the Browning Auto-5 would have fell in that piece of legislation
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:52:31 AM EDT
[#38]
That's it!  I'm not voting for Kerry now!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Y'all are missing two important parts of that story. www.drudgereport.com/dncg.htm

1) But Kerry's gun bill would have also banned any "gift" transaction!

2) [It is not clear if Kerry completed the required paperwork (Form 4473) before he claimed the gun.]

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Some examples from the CMP website:
www.odcmp.com/images/c-stock.jpg
1903 stock with pistol grip
www.odcmp.com/images/m1903a3rifle.jpg
1903 stock without pistol grip

Kharn

+1

I prefer pistol grip stocks on rifles.  Traditionally, what Kharn posted is an example of a straight and a pistol grip rifle stock.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
The NRA is exempt from McCain/Fiengold as they are now defined as a news outlet.

So does that mean they can now run ads on ANY station, or only their own?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:13:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Good.  When I saw all their talk about starting their own media outlet, I was a bit concerned as I thought they would only be able to run ads etc. on THEIR OWN outlets.  Deffinately not the same as ANY outlet.  I thought they seemed to be getting a little over-excited about their own outlet which would have no where near the reach of ads on major outlets.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#46]
he's a PRICK.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
That's it!  I'm not voting for Kerry now!

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#48]
He's not a SPORTSMAN!!!!

CHRIS
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:17:03 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Apparently, someone's Lexis account is getting a workout.......

Arfcom: a virtually unlimited resource, staffed by guys with guns. What's not to like?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:28:05 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
He's not a SPORTSMAN!!!!

CHRIS

A F L A C!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top