Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2006 8:56:20 AM EDT
thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/10/28/nation/15839442&sec=nation

ANGKAWI: Retired American policeman Randal Barnhart, who was subjected to a 2am raid by religious enforcement officers, is reconsidering his plan to make Malaysia his second home.

“After that unpleasant episode two weeks ago, I do not feel like making Malaysia my second home. It is a pity because both my wife and I really love Langkawi,” he said.

On Oct 12, Barnhart, 62, and his wife Carole, 61, were in their rented condominium in Kuah when enforcement officers continuously knocked on their door at 2am, accusing them of committing khalwat (close proximity).

He said the officers demanded to see his marriage certificate, although he had told them that they were Christians and should not be subjected to Islamic law.

“We find it difficult to forget the unpleasant episode. My wife was so terrified by the incident that she fears sleeping in that condominium,” he added.  

Banhart said the officers were rude and insisted on “seeing the woman” when he opened the door. “My wife had to show herself despite only having a sarong on at that time. We felt humiliated for being treated this way,” he said.

He said he had to send his wife back to the United States on the next available flight because she feared people might return to the condominium to terrify her in the middle of the night. She flew home on Wednesday.  

“I want the religious department to apologise to me and my wife in writing,” he added.

khalwat defined here:  www.noorullah.org/2006/10/19/what-is-khalwat/

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#1]
You mean to say that malaysia is a undesirable place to live? But, it's a 3rd world country and it's a defacto theocracy! How is it possible that it isn't a paradise!?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:08:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Thats stupid...
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#4]
But I'm sure the locals would have been okay with letting a bunch of Christian folks barge in and insist on seeing a scantly clad Muslim woman.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:09:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow, I guess I committed the same offense while in Malaysia. I'll have to send them an apology note. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#6]
These places are called "Thrid World Sh*tholes" for a reason.
And it has nothing to do w/ the standard of living.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#7]
www.noorullah.org ......."new rule from alla?"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top