Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2006 10:06:05 AM EDT
Pluto is not a Planet, Astronomers say.

news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/08/060824-pluto-planet.html

Pluto has been voted off the island.

The distant icy ball is no longer a true planet, according to a new definition of the term voted on by scientists today.

Whoa! Pluto's dead," said astronomer Mike Brown, of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, as he watched a Web cast of the vote. "There are finally, officially, eight planets in the solar system."

In a move sure to generate controversy even as it forces textbooks to be rewritten, Pluto will now be dubbed a "dwarf planet."

But it's no longer part of an exclusive club, since there would be more than 40 of these dwarfs, including the large asteroid Ceres and 2003 UB313, nicknamed Xena—a distant object slightly larger than Pluto discovered by Brown last year.

Researchers voted on the definition at a meeting of the International Astronomical Union in Prague, in the Czech Republic. This group decides on the official names of all celestial bodies.

The tough decision comes after a two-year search for a scientific definition of the word "planet." The term never had an official meaning before.

In the new definition, to qualify as a full-fledged planet, an object orbiting the sun has to be large enough that it has become round due to the force of its own gravity, and it also has to dominate the neighborhood around its orbit.

Pluto would be demoted, because it does not dominate its neighborhood. Charon, its large "moon," is about half the size of Pluto and orbits along with it. All the true planets are far larger than their moons.

Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:07:50 AM EDT
[#1]
[Mo Sizlak] Wha! [Mo Sizlak]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Bastages! That means I just lost funding for my privately funded expedition to Pluto!

I don't care what some weenie sky lookers say! Pluto is the 9th planet!
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:09:33 AM EDT
[#3]
DUPE
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:13:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah we were talking about that in class. Kind of wierd since we learned about it as kids and now it is going away But if they didn't take Pluto out there would have been alot of new planets and it would have been a mess for education.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Downsizing is a bitch! Do you think they will give Pluto the news on a Friday Afternoon?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Further proof that Everything You Know Is Wrong.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:27:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn....if the kids today know what I now know, they could make it had on their science teachers.

[17 year old krpind]No, Coach Smith, Pluto isn't a planet. I don't care what the book says. It's not round is it?

I wonder how much shit being taught today will be debunked 25 years from now.

Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#8]
 They destroyed a whole planet with the wave of a hand.  They are powerful.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Downsizing is a bitch! Do you think they will give Pluto the news on a Friday Afternoon?

You think downsizing is bad? Wait until they start out-sourcing planets.

Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:32:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know, pretty soon space rocks from outside our solar system will sneak in to take the orbits legal planets don't want.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I wonder how much shit being taught today will be debunked 25 years from now.

[trying NOT to say it, trying not so say it, can't help myself] Most of evolutionary teaching  [/trying NOT to say it, trying not so say it, can't help myself]

Sorry.

Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
... I wonder how much **** being taught today will be debunked 25 years from now.

25 years form now, when a teacher pulls some made-up factoid out of his backside to make a point (like all of our teachers used to do on occasion), there'll be one kid who'll quickly refer to the wireless notebook computer built into his desk and then stand up and say "Nuh-uh! I just checked SNOPES.  I call BS!"...

... then sit back down and resume surfing Arfcom v15.3...
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know, pretty soon space rocks from outside our solar system will sneak in to take the orbits legal planets don't want.

I didn't see an immigration thread coming, but that's pretty funny.

Link Posted: 8/24/2006 11:03:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And you think you're joking

Link Posted: 8/24/2006 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#16]
So, I'm thinking INVESTMENT PROPERTY

Someday, it will be upgraded back to a planet, and the land values will soar!
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 11:09:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't see an immigration thread coming, but that's pretty funny.

Fucking illegals from Oort-ico need to be deported.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 1:56:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's how we're taking care of it work...

Current Events:  Leading astronomers declared Thursday that Pluto is no longer a planet under historic new guidelines that downsize the solar system from nine planets to eight.

In honor of Pluto, a much loved planet that was recently stripped of it’s full planet status, HR will be serving PLUTO PIES.  What are they you ask.  Very much like Moon Pies, PLUTO PIES are much better tasting, as they are filled with the great love of astronomy enthusiasts.  The International Astronomical Union voted to redefine the term "planet", demoting Pluto to the status of a "dwarf planet” and leaving the solar system with eight planets.   It is a sad time in history.

PLUTO PIES available in HR…

(Friday, 10:00 – 12:00)

LONG LIVE PLUTO!
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 1:58:44 PM EDT
[#19]
What do you think they will do to Uranus?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 2:17:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Dwarf planet sounds too derragatory, we should call it symetrically challenged.  You know for the children.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/24/2006 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Further proof that Everything You Know Is Wrong.

Just forget the words and sing along.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top