Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 1:51:02 AM EDT
It was a complete loss.  The guy was 25 years old and lost everything.  He has no insurance or anything.  He lost his mother 2 years ago to cancer.  Please send prayers his way.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:54:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Poor guy, prayers sent.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:56:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I feel bad for the dude but what a moron for not having insurance
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:56:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:00:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I just dont get it. Fire insurence is not expensive. Why dont people have it? They alsways seem to find money for ciggarettes or alcohol or some other worthless habit or activity....

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:02:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Let this also be a reminder to folks who don't own but rent.  Renters insurance is VERY inexpensive (About $12-$15 a month for $20,000 worth of coverage for your items).

Not a bad price for something that can replace everything you own in the event of a fire.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:13:54 AM EDT
[#6]
He had lost his job a few months earlier.  His mom left him the house when she died.  He was barley getting by.  His electricity had gotten cut off last week.  I don't think he could afford home owners insurance since he could hardly pay the taxes on the house. The cause of the fire appears to be a candle that was left burning.  One of his dogs also died in the fire.  I just got through burying it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:17:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
He had lost his job a few months earlier.  His mom left him the house when she died.  He was barley getting by.  His electricity had gotten cut off last week.  I don't think he could afford home owners insurance since he could hardly pay the taxes on the house. The cause of the fire appears to be a candle that was left burning.  One of his dogs also died in the fire.  I just got through burying it.

Jesus... poor kid

Prayers sent

You keep an eye on him...  don't need any bungee jumpers without the bungee part.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:17:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I just dont get it. Fire insurence is not expensive. Why dont people have it? They alsways seem to find money for ciggarettes or alcohol or some other worthless habit or activity....

S.O.

.......Like collecting guns!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:17:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It was a complete loss.  The guy was 25 years old and lost everything.  He has no insurance or anything.  He lost his mother 2 years ago to cancer.  Please send prayers his way.

Just out of curiousity, how do you carry a mortgage without insurance?  The Mortgage company forces you to carry insurance, and will insure you forcefully (at rediculous rates) if you drop insurance.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:19:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I wish I could get renters insurance. Nobody will insure me until the end of the Hurricane Season.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:23:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It was a complete loss. The guy was 25 years old and lost everything. He has no insurance or anything. He lost his mother 2 years ago to cancer. Please send prayers his way.

Just out of curiousity, how do you carry a mortgage without insurance? The Mortgage company forces you to carry insurance, and will insure you forcefully (at rediculous rates) if you drop insurance.

It's probably an assumption, but  it sounds like the house was paid for thus no mortgage.
Prayers going out to him.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:57:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It was a complete loss. The guy was 25 years old and lost everything. He has no insurance or anything. He lost his mother 2 years ago to cancer. Please send prayers his way.

Just out of curiousity, how do you carry a mortgage without insurance? The Mortgage company forces you to carry insurance, and will insure you forcefully (at rediculous rates) if you drop insurance.

It's probably an assumption, but  it sounds like the house was paid for thus no mortgage.

Yes that is correct.  The house was paid for.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:05:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a hunting cabin and have

Wood heat only
gas lanterns
kerosene lanterns
candles for light and the aroma
kerosene heaters

I never could understand a accidental fire caused by same -- of course I have  a   healthy respect (fear) of them at the same time I use them.

Still one has to feel sorry for those it happens too.

I wish him better times ahead.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:10:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes that is correct.  The house was paid for.

sucks but i can't see any reason to not have fire insurance, especially if you aren't making house payments!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:10:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Were the ATF or police around at the time?

sorry for your neighbor, but damn! that was ignorant.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:12:30 AM EDT
[#16]
sell the land
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:46:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
sell the land

Thats what he is going to have to do.  He sure can't afford to rebuild.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Prayers sent.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:59:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Well, at least the inspectors can check "electric" off their list of possible causes.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:03:12 AM EDT
[#20]
So sad ... He had lost everything...I mean Everything.

My prayers for him.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Really sad.

Still, to be honest, when I was 25 I owned almost nothing other than a car and a few clothes and such, and had virtually nothing in my bank account.

Young people can bounce back.  Hope he can get a job soon – that really is the key.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Insurance.... it ain't that expensive...

I have had renter's insurance for the last 4 years I've lived alone in apartments.  I think I would get something like $36,000 if my building burned down.   Sometimes I wonder if that would replace everything.....  

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:44:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Really sad.

Still, to be honest, when I was 25 I owned almost nothing other than a car and a few clothes and such, and had virtually nothing in my bank account.

Young people can bounce back.  Hope he can get a job soon – that really is the key.

+1

He seemed to be overwhelmed by his circumstances and responsibilities.  It happens.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#24]
he should enlist in the military.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top