Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/24/2004 9:04:20 PM EDT
Pretty damn good flick, anyone else like it?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Best Movie of the Year!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:14:35 PM EDT
[#2]
It was good but not the most powerful one
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I liked it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Thought it was pretty good myself.

I had just got done watching some crazy fast guy shooting his para's, with like .8 second mag changes (on tv, by the way), and then i watched it. I was like, DAMN, THAT WAS A SLOOOOWWW MAG CHANGE.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:06:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Better than I thought it would be. Pretty good flick. Especially liked the interrogation via popsicle torch.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:07:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I liked Man on Fire more.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Best Movie of the Year!!!!!!!!!!!

It was good, but it doesn't have shit on "Dawn of the dead".
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#8]
SUCKED!!

I feel dumber for having seen it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
SUCKED!!

Perhaps it's me, but I thought even the trailer sucked.

Horrible movie, avoid.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
SUCKED!!

+1
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:36:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
SUCKED!!

+1

+2

anyone who liked has very poor taste in movies
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#13]
It was pretty bad.  Not Dolph Lundgren bad, but bad.  Roy was in it for what, three seconds before he got waxed?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#14]
<------------I liked it!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#15]
It was entertaining but dont expect too much.  I dont suspect the hero was an ARFcomer, we'd have had a much easier time of it.    
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#16]
All you guys that say it was a bad movie are sadly mistaken. it ranks up there next to Red Dawn.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Leme guess....you guys who liked it, aren't, shall we say.....older than 20....right?  I'm guessing, because my high school students liked it.  What they like, and I find acceptable are two different animals.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm 20, and I loved it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#19]
35, liked ...yes....  loved....not even close..  ;)
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I liked it but I wasn't anything close to "best movie ever".  But I'm not a comic purist, as many people who didn't like it seem to be.  In my opinion the Punisher wasn't rutherless enough or something, plus it needed another good building assault scene or something.  It just needs a rougher meaner grittier sequel.  I liked the actor, I liked most of the gun handling, and the action it did have was well done I thought.  

Man on Fire gets my award as most annoying movie of the year.  The "cinematography" was the worst bunch of camera shaking and swinging with seemingly not a single damn shot lasting more than 2 seconds without flying off to show something else or otherwise going crazy.   It was laughable, if it was shot normally it would have been an excellent movie IMO, although I didn't quite like the ending.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#21]
It was pretty good!

I thought he was a little to lenient on some of them though!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:09:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Was going to rent it tonight, but decided on Taxi Driver instead. Maybe next time.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:15:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:16:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Extremely stupid. Even allowing for the comic book premise it was stupid.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:19:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been a Punisher fan for years and I avoided the movie. I can't get passed Travolta in any form....
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Was going to rent it tonight, but decided on Taxi Driver instead. Maybe next time.

No kidding. I could not stop thinking about your avatar throughout the movie.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I've been a Punisher fan for years and I avoided the movie. I can't get passed Travolta in any form....

Well, at least in the movie you get to see him die horribly.

It was a crappy movie.  It was sadistic and stupid where it should have been funny, and tried to be funny where it shouldn't have been.

My biggest problems with it:

1.  Frank Castle is supposed to be a former vet (Viet Nam) turned cop who loses his wife and child to the mob.  They change it slightly to make it a little more appropriate since the Viet Nam angle is a bit long in the tooth in 2004.  But still, instead of having him lose his wife and kid, he loses EVERY LIVING RELATIVE!

2.  Frank Castle is supposed to be a ghost, presumed dead in the same event that took his family.  Instead of doing that, they make it a point of having him walk right up to a fucking press conference and showing himself to be alive!  Clue:  It's hard to be a vigilante killer if you go around telling people you're alive and well and plan on killing bad guys.

3.  The guy who played him didn't suck as bad as Dolf Lundgren, but he wasn't much better either.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:43:40 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Man on Fire gets my award as most annoying movie of the year.  The "cinematography" was the worst bunch of camera shaking and swinging with seemingly not a single damn shot lasting more than 2 seconds without flying off to show something else or otherwise going crazy.   It was laughable, if it was shot normally it would have been an excellent movie IMO, although I didn't quite like the ending.

Absolutely!  +1, Ditto, yup.
I was very dissapointed with that movie.  It got such good reviews here.  My point is, I forgot that there is a younger crowd here that would think it was cool. My students also liked it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:48:06 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I liked it but I wasn't anything close to "best movie ever".  But I'm not a comic purist, as many people who didn't like it seem to be.  In my opinion the Punisher wasn't rutherless enough or something, plus it needed another good building assault scene or something.  It just needs a rougher meaner grittier sequel.  I liked the actor, I liked most of the gun handling, and the action it did have was well done I thought.  

Agree.

Quoted:

Disagree.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:57:00 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely!  +1, Ditto, yup.
I was very dissapointed with that movie.  It got such good reviews here.  My point is, I forgot that there is a younger crowd here that would think it was cool. My students also liked it.

I'm so old dust falls out my ass when I walk around, but yet I liked "Man on Fire".

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:00:24 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
All you guys that say it was a bad movie are sadly mistaken. it ranks up there next to Red Dawn.

That was out of line...

It was a pretty good movie. Could have been done better, but it was good.

Interesting, anyhow.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:07:51 AM EDT
[#32]
The new punisher sucks. Not close to the comic book. The old punisher they made back in the day better. When did frank castle live in an apartment and have dinner with his neighbors? BS thanks hollywood for ruining another comic book.

J
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:11:59 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
The new punisher sucks. Not close to the comic book. The old punisher they made back in the day better. When did frank castle live in an apartment and have dinner with his neighbors? BS thanks hollywood for ruining another comic book.

J

Actually, in some ways the movie stayed VERY close to some of the recent comic books.  The Punisher was living very low key in a cruddy apartment, just a few guns and not much else (no high tech stuff, or Micro helping him, or anything), and his three neighbors began to suspect that he was the punisher.  Joan in the comics was extremely introverted, but would bake cakes and cookies for him, because he made her feel safe, and wasn't afraid of the city like she was.

When the Russian came to his apartment and beat the everloving crap out of him, he was only able to defeat him by throwing Mr Bumpo (the fat guy) on top of the Russian, and smothering him.

I was glad to see that a lot of the movie plot was drawn from recent comics.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:16:34 AM EDT
[#34]
recent? When i was 12-13 or so i remember him having a beat up black van and living in the sewer IIRC. So you're saying that marvel ruined the punisher first?

J
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:47:58 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
2.  Frank Castle is supposed to be a ghost, presumed dead in the same event that took his family.  Instead of doing that, they make it a point of having him walk right up to a fucking press conference and showing himself to be alive!  Clue:  It's hard to be a vigilante killer if you go around telling people you're alive and well and plan on killing bad guys.

My problem with the movie, along with it being predictable.

OH, and lets not forget "Hey, I'll elaboratly have Saint's right hand man killed instead of just killing him normally".
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:09:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:25:07 AM EDT
[#37]
It was pretty decent as far as shoot-em-ups go.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:32:01 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

only an idiot would think it was even close to red dawn.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:37:42 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Did anyone else find the Punisher EXTREMELY predictable? I called so many scenes and quotes that my friends thought I had already watched it.

Exactly.
I often wonder why movies that have so much potential end up being so half assed.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:47:44 AM EDT
[#40]
It was pretty good for a COMIC BOOK MOVIE.  It sucked ass compared to Man on Fire.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:53:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:56:56 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

only an idiot would think it was even close to red dawn.  

hr

good i am glad you agree
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:13:17 AM EDT
[#43]
The Punisher was a GREAT gun/guy movie. Lots of guns, shooting guns and revenge!!  What isn't to like about it. Man on Fire was extremely sloooowww!!   Gosh, get to the action already.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#44]
i will relent and say it was an ok movie, just not in the same class as red dawn
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:34:50 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
SUCKED!!

Perhaps it's me, but I thought even the trailer sucked.

Horrible movie, avoid.

+1

that movie was horrid
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#46]
dumb dumb dumb movie
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:38:41 AM EDT
[#47]
I fell asleep in the Theater it was so boring.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:33:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Three words:
"Mind Altering Substances."

Red Dawn is a great film, please do not compare it to shit the original Punisher or the remake.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top