Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2008 5:52:42 AM EDT
Here is a light weight story out of Memphis:

Teen claims he was beaten by Memphis police

Updated: June 5, 2008 05:23 PM

A Memphis woman says after police picked up her 14-year old son, he came home with stitches and with a cast.

Darell Briggs was supposed to be at his mother's house by dinner time Wednesday, but he never showed up.

"That's something he don't do, is run off from home and don't come back," Darell's mother, Laquetta Briggs said.

Briggs later learned her son had been taken to Le Bonheur Children's Medical Center, after an altercation he claims he had with Memphis police officers.

"I was consistently being hit in the face, and when I got in the car, I tried to tell him I was going to cooperate, but he just kept banging my head to the door," Darell said.

Briggs said he was at a bus stop on Bellevue when officers began questioning him about a stolen car.   Briggs claims he told officers he didn't know anything about a stolen car, but he panicked.  When he resisted, he wound up with stitches on his chin, a cast on his arm, and a swollen face.  Laquetta Briggs said the officer admitted her son's arrest was a case of mistaken identity.

"He told me that he had him mistaken from a 21-year-old that fit his description, and had the same clothes he had on," she said.

Briggs showed Action News 5 her son's report card from Central High School, where he's made high marks in curriculum and conduct.

"I don't know how to explain that to him. When I tell him to stay away from violence, and violence was acted on him," she said.

Darell Briggs admits if he had remained calm, the officers might have too.  But he and his mother want police to own up to what they say happened.

"I would like for them to step forward and admit to what they've done," Laquetta Briggs said.

In an email, Memphis Police spokesperson Monique Martin said, "The Memphis Police Department will actively investigate allegations of misconduct filed by a citizen regarding a Memphis Police Officer.  At this time, we have not received an official complaint surrounding this incident."

Meanwhile, Darell Briggs has been charged with assault and resisting arrest, and has to show up in juvenile court in two weeks.

http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8438274

The kid looked like he got pounded pretty good.  One arm in a cast, one eye swelled shut, bandages and stitches.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:27:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Resisting law enforcement is a bitch.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:33:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

A Memphis woman says after police picked up her 14-year old son, he came home with stitches and with a cast.

Darell Briggs was supposed to be at his mother's house by dinner time Wednesday, but he never showed up.

"That's something he don't do, is run off from home and don't come back," Darell's mother, Laquetta Briggs said.

Briggs later learned her son had been taken to Le Bonheur Children's Medical Center, after an altercation he claims he had with Memphis police officers.

"I was consistently being hit in the face, and when I got in the car, I tried to tell him I was going to cooperate, but he just kept banging my head to the door," Darell said.

Briggs said he was at a bus stop on Bellevue when officers began questioning him about a stolen car.   Briggs claims he told officers he didn't know anything about a stolen car, but he panicked.  When he resisted, he wound up with stitches on his chin, a cast on his arm, and a swollen face.  Laquetta Briggs said the officer admitted her son's arrest was a case of mistaken identity.

"He told me that he had him mistaken from a 21-year-old that fit his description, and had the same clothes he had on," she said.

Briggs showed Action News 5 her son's report card from Central High School, where he's made high marks in curriculum and conduct.

"I don't know how to explain that to him. When I tell him to stay away from violence, and violence was acted on him," she said.

Darell Briggs admits if he had remained calm, the officers might have too.  But he and his mother want police to own up to what they say happened.

"I would like for them to step forward and admit to what they've done," Laquetta Briggs said.

In an email, Memphis Police spokesperson Monique Martin said, "The Memphis Police Department will actively investigate allegations of misconduct filed by a citizen regarding a Memphis Police Officer.  At this time, we have not received an official complaint surrounding this incident."

Meanwhile, Darell Briggs has been charged with assault and resisting arrest, and has to show up in juvenile court in two weeks.

www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8438274

The kid looked like he got pounded pretty good.  One arm in a cast, one eye swelled shut, bandages and stitches.

Isolated incident.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8438274

Haha, what's the matter, a whole week goes by with thousands of warrants served, arrests made, etc. and this is the best that you can come up with?  Come on man, you can do better.    
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:45:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

+1

You resist, you're going to get hurt.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:52:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I am not impressed.  Our city council members give worse ass whoopings than that.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:53:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Is that french for "The Boner?"

If so, I bet Micheal Jackson has applied to work there several times as a candy striper.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:58:59 AM EDT
[#7]

but he panicked. When he resisted, he wound up with stitches on his chin, a cast on his arm

But it's the cops fault, I did nothing wrong, not me....not me.....not me....
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:00:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I bet Rev Al and Jesse are already on a plane to Memphis.

"Breaking rocks in the hot sun.........."
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:21:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
"That's something he don't do, is run off from home and don't come back,"

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:29:11 AM EDT
[#10]
So the cops can "tune up" a 14 year old, and thats ok?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:30:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Not at all, just the status quo.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Not all 14 year olds are bean poles and 5'3".  And not all 14 year olds pay respect to those they should.

I'm not saying this particular kid deserved it, but some people, adults and teens alike, need a punch in teeth sometimes.

(And no, I'm not a cop.)
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:34:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"That's something he don't do, is run off from home and don't come back,"

And what exaclty are you ing about?...
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:37:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that french for "The Boner?"

If so, I bet Micheal Jackson has applied to work there several times as a candy striper.

It means "happiness", literally translated as "the good hour".
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:44:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Haha, what's the matter, a whole week goes by with thousands of warrants served, arrests made, etc. and this is the best that you can come up with?  Come on man, you can do better.    

I saw it on the news last night, as I said before, "Here is a light weight story out of Memphis".

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not all 14 year olds are bean poles and 5'3".  And not all 14 year olds pay respect to those they should.

I'm not saying this particular kid deserved it, but some people, adults and teens alike, need a punch in teeth sometimes.

(And no, I'm not a cop.)

He was NOT a little kid.  They confused him with a 21 year old.

He was sitting at a bus stop and the MPD saw him and questioned him.  How do you "resist" being questioned, to the extent they beat your ass?  I can see getting thumped for resisting arrest, but getting an arm broken for "resisting questioning"?

Being Memphis, and being that the 14yo is black, if any LEO's involved are white, his ass is grass.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:49:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

(And no, I'm not a cop.)

And JBTs don't need a punch in the mouth?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:52:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:55:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:59:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:59:30 AM EDT
[#20]
So, were the police courteous in their questioning since they did not know if this was for whom they were looking?  Did they give him the benefit of the doubt or lay into him?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm confused, how do you get arrested for resisting arrest when you aren't under arrest and only being questioned?

With those kinds of injuries, I can understand why this kid and everyone he knows would be a little jittery when the police start a conversation with you.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#22]
What I find amusing is that in ANY OTHER STORY..the usual suspect here would be quetioning the Reporter's ability to pout piss out of a boot with instructions printed on the sole, nevermind get any facts correct..... But when it's an article that's even MILDLY critical of Police it's treated as if it was writ from the hand of God itself.

To quote many of you Chimps..

Typical
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:26:52 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm confused, how do you get arrested for resisting arrest when you aren't under arrest and only being questioned?

Don't you just love circular reasoning?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#24]
First, I am not a JBT Apologist.  In fact, in most of these threads if I posted what I'm really thinking I'm positive my account would have been locked long ago for anti-LEO statements.  Keeping that in mind:

Quoted:

Both the media and everyone here seems to be glossing over this little phrase.   How does a totally innocent kid just sitting at a buss stop "panic?"  And exactly what does this "panic" entail?  Running?  Punching the cop?  Trying to do perform a Billy Jack Left Foot vs. Right Ear Hapkido Sweeping Leg Kick?  And why did he "panic?"

Something is wrong here.  If I was approached by cops at a bus stop and they accused me of stealing a car, I think my reply would be something on the order of "Dude, if I had stolen a car then I wouldn't be waiting here for this stupid city bus now, would I?  By the way, can you break a $1?  You know, "exact change only..."

I can see three possibilities here -

1.  The kid really was up to something and he "panicked" thinking he was going to get caught for that.

2.  His entire life his mother has been drumming it into his head that the PO-lice are just out beat down and frame black folks for crimes they didn't commit, you know, like O.J., so he thinks that anytime a cop approaches him he must immediately lash out at them first before they have a chance to beat his ass.

3. The kid did exactly what I said but the cops beat his ass for calling him "dude."

Of course, his mom has to tell everyone that it was a case of mistaken identity (with the underlying message that white folks think they all look alike) and her baby never did nuthin' and is really a good boy.

Darell Briggs admits if he had remained calm, the officers might have too.

Also, he doesn't have a cast on his arm - he has a cast on his hand.  If bones in his wrist or forearm were broken, that cast would be up above his elbow.  He broke metacarpals or phalanges (knuckle bones) probably by punching someone.  I'm betting that Darell is a lefty.

So here's my scenario - cops mistakenly ID Darell as a car thief and approach him, or maybe even try to handcuff and arrest him.  Darell knows that cops are going to "plant the bloody glove" and frame him for the crime so he swings on the cops, makes contact with the first one, and all his cop buddies immediate deliver an ass beating on Darell.

Oh, and about his grades - somehow I don't think Darell got an A in English.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#25]
ISTMTTS
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Page 2!
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Darell Briggs admits if he had remained calm, the officers might have too.

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

fuck that shit!!!

If I haven't done anything, fuck you.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:17:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Im sure that his 'resisting' was refusing to answer question....  That certainly is worth a beating.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

(And no, I'm not a cop.)

And JBTs don't need a punch in the mouth?

At the risk or an interweb pissing match;  FlyingIllini...anytime your ready.

What a stupid comment.  This really shows the maturity and mentality of arfcom.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:18:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I am not impressed.  Our city council members give worse ass whoopings than that.

So you HAVE been watching channel 20 eh?... did you see me go at it with the mayor last september?... I won.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
He was NOT a little kid.  They confused him with a 21 year old.

Doesn't our Dutch Mod say that there is no way to confuse a 14 year old with a 21 year old, if you talk to them a little?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

fuck that shit!!!

If I haven't done anything, fuck you.

Which leads to stitches & a cast
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#34]
UPDATE:

A formal complaint has been filed with the MPD.

The SCLC is now involved.

The term "racist" is being bandied about, so I am now assuming the LEO's were white.

There WILL be a lawsuit.

There were witnesses at the bus stop, so we may get the third side of the story soon.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top