Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/31/2005 8:38:15 PM EDT
www.askingsaveskids.com/

Just talking to your child about the dangers of firearms is not enough. Children are naturally curious. If a gun is accessible in someone's home, there is a good chance a child will find it and play with it.

So...ASK your neighbor if they have a gun before sending your kids over to play.

If the answer is NO...that's one less thing you have to worry about.

If the answer is YES...You have to determine if your child's safety is at risk. Guns should be kept in a gun safe with the ammunition locked separately or they pose a real risk to your child. Hiding guns is not enough. There are countless tragic stories of kids finding guns that parents thought were well hidden or safely stored. If you have any doubts about the safety of someone's home, you should politely invite the children to play at your house instead.

Not sure what to make of this.... seems like good intentions, but also sounds like witchi hunt tactics that could easily be used to alienate people as well as an invasion of privacy that could potentially lead to other issues (rumor mill/word-of-mouth about a house with guns can lead to potential break-ins).
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:47:22 PM EDT
Ah, yes - Once again, it's time for AKS's annual fear-mongering campaign...

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:49:23 PM EDT
Well, since according to them 40% of homes with children have guns, that means we've got a heck of a safety record.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:50:10 PM EDT
Now that's just irresponsible.

Some parent is gonna see that ad and think a vest can be that badly sized and still be okay.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:53:05 PM EDT
Storing guns and ammo seperately means your ass is grass if an intruder breaks in. Store a LOADED gun in one of those small quick-open safes next to your bed (like those with a hand imprint on them with buttons so yo can open it quickly in the dark) -- IF you have children in your house.

The ASK folks don't know shit, they are a watered down version of handgun control inc, and are subtly trying to influence public opinion about gun ownership, IMHO, from a different angle.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:01:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jkstexas2001:
The ASK folks don't know shit, they are a watered down version of handgun control inc, and are subtly trying to influence public opinion about gun ownership, IMHO, from a different angle.

damn, sounds like a watered down version of the hitler youth program too

looks like gun owners need to tell their kids not to tell any of their friends their family is "armed"
boy, it is a really sad time to be alive, still.........it beats the alternative
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:57:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Spade:
Now that's just irresponsible.

Some parent is gonna see that ad and think a vest can be that badly sized and still be okay.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:10:57 AM EDT
I'm not sending my children to a house with parents like this. I would wonder why they feel the lives of their own family are so valueless as to not be worth defending. There may be a perfectly understandable reason, like the parents are convicted felons.

Of course, if anyone asks questions like this, I'm asking questions about where they store their valuables, their home security system and plans. I want detailed descriptions of all their consumer electronics, cd/dvd collections, schedules, vacation plans, etc. Is that creepy enough to get people to go away?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:19:55 AM EDT
Ask if your neighbor has a vibrator. Even if they think that they have hidden it is likely that your child will find it and play with it.

Ask if your neighbor has sharp knives and if they are locked up out of children's access. Even if they are hidden it is likely that your child will find them and play with them.

Ask if your neighbor if he/she has the means to thwart a break-in and kidnapping of your child. Chances are if they are weenie enough not to own weapons your child is unprotected and vulnerable at their home. Don't let your child play at homes with unarmed adults....Do it for the children.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:58:51 AM EDT
Why is there a Warning on the Body Armor?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:50:57 AM EDT
ask if they have a pool, they kill more kids than guns...
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:52:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PolyTechKID:
ask if they have a pool, they kill more kids than guns...

Yep. That's why I am reluctant to have a pool.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:28:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Planerench:
Ask if your neighbor has a vibrator. Even if they think that they have hidden it is likely that your child will find it and play with it.

Ask if your neighbor has sharp knives and if they are locked up out of children's access. Even if they are hidden it is likely that your child will find them and play with them.

Ask if your neighbor if he/she has the means to thwart a break-in and kidnapping of your child. Chances are if they are weenie enough not to own weapons your child is unprotected and vulnerable at their home. Don't let your child play at homes with unarmed adults....Do it for the children.

Excellent points!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:31:12 AM EDT
I would not let my child go to a house where the owners did not have a firearm to protect the life of my child in the event of a situation that might require it.

I think it's irresponsible.

ASK. And if they don't have a gun, don't let your kid go there.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:38:31 AM EDT
A pool in the backyard is a lot more dangerous than a rifle in the closet, that's not just a bunch of bull from the NRA but you won't convince poeple of that until it's too late.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:42:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By five-star:
A pool in the backyard is a lot more dangerous than a rifle in the closet, that's not just a bunch of bull from the NRA but you won't convince poeple of that until it's too late.

what I found amazing is the local rag affectionately known as "the arizona krazny zvezda(red star)" actually had a front page article pointing out how a pool is 100 times more likely to kill or injure your child than a gun, with a picture of a smith revolver and a pool on the front page. I was shocked because it wasnt a gun bash article and pointed out that they are actually a pretty low risk item around the house.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:46:48 AM EDT
Attention liberals: There is a 100% fatality rate from breathing air. That's right, air. Everyone that has ever breathed air has at one point or another, died.

Until we find a cure for Air-related fatalities, we cannot truly be safe. Do it for the children!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:02:06 AM EDT
For the children, here are the latest numbers.

nhtsa.gov/people/Crash/LCOD/index.htm

Table 9 is the full breakout of the top ten, Accidental Drownings do indeed beat out Firearms.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:03:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Skibane:
Ah, yes - Once again, it's time for AKS's annual fear-mongering campaign...

img66.imageshack.us/img66/1333/askposter8hu.jpg

I sure hope the neighbor's kids don't know the mozambique.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:13:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By macman37:
Attention liberals: There is a 100% fatality rate from breathing air. That's right, air. Everyone that has ever breathed air has at one point or another, died.

Until we find a cure for Air-related fatalities, we cannot truly be safe. Do it for the children!

If a bunch of kids wake up with plastic bags over thier heads tonight I hope ARFCOM dosen't get shut down tomorrow. :-)
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:31:09 AM EDT
If you do not have a gun in your home, you are a bad parent.

This campaign is asking people to be bad parents.
Top Top