Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2004 1:26:08 AM EDT
In Portland OR My friend and I were driving back from a New Years party.  We saw a truck with out its lights on weaving in and out of the lane, crossing the fog line, narrowly missing merging trafic by about a foot.  We called 911 gave them the lisence plate # and the descripetion of the truck.  We followed him as he went from I 5 south to I 405 south to I 5 north getting off at the Rose Quarter exit then as he stoped at green lights on MLK jr. Blvd.  911 said there were no cops in the area.  At this point we left because 911 told us to and we were getting conserned that he might notice us following him.  I'm a little frustrated that there wasn't any cops around to get this guy.  But I understand that they are busey on the 1st of the year.  I hope he doesn't kill any one on his way home.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:44:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Well ya did what you could do [:\] hopefully the sob will get caught without hurting anyone
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:50:17 AM EDT
[#2]
It should be legal to shoot them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:45:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Nether of us have CCWs and even if we did the guns still would have been in the trunk so the situation was somewhat scary.  I hope he didn't hurt anyone.  But if he does they will have my friend Fidel's voice on the 911 recorder saying "this guy is going to kill someone".
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:48:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nether of us have CCWs and even if we did the guns still would have been in the trunk so the situation was somewhat scary.  I hope he did hurt anyone.  But if he does they will have my friend Fidel's voice on the 911 recorder saying "this guy is going to kill someone".
View Quote

dood, dont post when you are drunk!

Oh yea APPY NEY YEARS!
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 3:02:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Dude I'm 20 don't drink and plan on never drinking a drop of alcohol.  What the heck are you smoking?
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 3:12:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Dude I'm 20 don't drink and plan on never drinking a drop of alcohol.  What the heck are you smoking?
View Quote

Well you should have a few drinks in your life or else you will end up a prude ass bitch. Thank god there is still some time for you to make the right decision.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 3:44:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Our first drunk driving related call of the evening was about 7PM.  Man slumped over the wheel of his truck, passed out, foot on gas, engine revving, in front of the liquor store! He was Sooo close.  Now he's in jail and his truck is in car jail.

Traffic was light in my area. People did a good job of using cabs and getting designated drivers over all.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:06:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Our first drunk driving related call of the evening was about 7PM.  Man slumped over the wheel of his truck, passed out, foot on gas, engine revving, in front of the liquor store! He was Sooo close.  Now he's in jail and his truck is in car jail.
View Quote

"car jail"  [LOLabove]

Thanks for what you do. I read in our local paper last night about a guy who lives a mile from me that was just arrested on his 10th drunk driving offense. I can't stand drunk drivers.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:29:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

"car jail"  [LOLabove]

Thanks for what you do. I read in our local paper last night about a guy who lives a mile from me that was just arrested on his 10th drunk driving offense. I can't stand drunk drivers.
View Quote

One of the few redeeming features of Afghanistan under the Soviets was roadside execution of drunk drivers.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:34:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Master of Orion, don't listen to anyone who tells you you need to drink.  I didn't have a drop before I turned 21, and the couple of times I did afterwards were no more fun or rewarding than staying sober.  The only difference was I spent a lot of money without being able to remember it the next morning.  I gave it up as quickly as I started.  

There is nothing good down that road, trust me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:07:18 AM EDT
[#11]
i like the shoot him reply
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#12]
AR15fan

I have a friend who is in LE.  I have a great respect and appreciation of anyone that risks there lives on a daily bases to protect people they don't even know.  Thank You

I have a famly history of alcoholism so I wont drink.  I'm afraid I'll like it way way too much.  I'd rather be sober.  It's much more fun to be in control of your own actions.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:40:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Must not get out much.[peep]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

congrats, im 22 (legal to drink) but in the same boat. I don't need, I can have more fun sober than anyone can drunk
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 3:43:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I have done this perhaps a couple of dozen times, and while I will continue to do my part to make the roads safer, I have become a little more circumspect, even cynical about the process. As far as the risk from the drunk is concerned, I don't get too concerned. Get identifying info as early as possible, then you hang back, the only issue being giving a location to LE or possible witness to events. Just be careful that you don't become part any accident, or are led down a dead end to this persons homies. If they turn on you, you are pretty much left to your own resources.

My cynicism comes from a few experiences with said LE. One time I followed a drunk for a significant time with dispatch on the line. This guy made it to his driveway (if they can make into a house, they are pretty much home free) after a near miss head-on, and I waited for 20 or 30 minutes down the road to meet LE. I later figured out that they must have called off the response when the location street name matched his car  registration, AND THEY (CHP) DIDN'T TELL ME. There is a lesson there.

Look out for yourself, no one else is going to.

I do this for  potential victims, and to keep the roads safer for me and mine.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#17]
i fucking hate drunk drivers.3 poeple in my fam have been killed by dd'ers
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Man slumped over the wheel of his truck, passed out, foot on gas, engine revving, in front of the liquor store! He was Sooo close. Now he's in jail and his truck is in car jail.
View Quote

Does government interference in our lives ever stop expanding?  Arrested and his property stolen because he was asleep in his car on private property?  I don't understand this new trend in arresting people for drunk driving that aren't ... driving!

About this time last year, a coworker was arrested for DUI when he to his car to get his cellphone before riding home with his neighbor.  He was in our parking lot (private property) .  I still can't believe he was found guilty of DUI considering he wasn't driving when he was arrested and was on private property.  He had his truck taken by the police, and in affect, had it stolen from him because the towing fees and storage fees ended-up costing more than it was worth.  He was very depressed for a couple of weeks after having to sign the title over to pay the fees.  I saw this guy go from a good, responsible worker to almost ready to kill himself over this incident.  Thankfully for his kids, I found him another job where he didn't have to drive.  We have the overzealous cops and legal system to thank for this crap.z
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:56:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I agree with ZOOM.  .gov taking private property is BS.  .gov giving reckless driving citations on private property is BS.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm 21, but since my parents are sensible, I and my family was allowed alcohol when we wanted it (which wasn't often at all).  I think that the reason most teenagers party hard is because their parents never let them do anything.  I have never partied hard and do not plan to, I have never been hung over, and I have only been actually drunk about ten or less times in my life, and it was only for the experience.  I never enjoy it.  I didn't even have a drop of alcohol to ring in the new year.  I just went to our woody backyard and shot a few rounds from my SAR-1 into the air (not really, I shot the ground).  I heard quite a lot of other gunfire/fireworks too.

GASPAIN: "[i]Well you should have a few drinks in your life or else you will end up a prude ass bitch. Thank god there is still some time for you to make the right decision.[/i]"

Wow.  You seriously believe that?  You are one deluded individual.  How in the hell is it bad to not drink?  I suppose you think it's good for your health to try drugs and find a whore, so that you don't become (oh the horror) a PRUDE!!!

WHat you're saying is, "You have self-control?  You're so boring!  You will be a boring person and lead a pointless existence unless you drink alcohol all the time!"
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I was driving drunk earlier today.  Best round of golf I ever played.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:39:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nether of us have CCWs and even if we did the guns still would have been in the trunk so the situation was somewhat scary.  [blue]I hope he did hurt anyone.[/blue]  But if he does they will have my friend Fidel's voice on the 911 recorder saying "this guy is going to kill someone".
View Quote

dood, dont post when you are drunk!

Oh yea APPY NEY YEARS!
View Quote

I think that is why he thought you were drunk.

Your not drunk, you just can't type.
[lol] Happy New Year!
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:10:06 AM EDT
[#23]
I was busy with domestics on New Years Eve, but my partner snagged a .358BAC!!!!!Yikes!!!!!his car also ended up in "car jail." I wonder how long before this turns into an anti LEO thread????? BTW, parking lots are also considered private property. I don't imagine anyone here would like to see a pedestrian creamed by a drunk in the local mall lot....
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:41:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Does government interference in our lives ever stop expanding?  Arrested and his property stolen because he was asleep in his car on private property?  I don't understand this new trend in arresting people for drunk driving that aren't ... driving!

About this time last year, a coworker was arrested for DUI when he to his car to get his cellphone before riding home with his neighbor.  He was in our parking lot (private property) .  I still can't believe he was found guilty of DUI considering he wasn't driving when he was arrested and was on private property.  He had his truck taken by the police, and in affect, had it stolen from him because the towing fees and storage fees ended-up costing more than it was worth.  He was very depressed for a couple of weeks after having to sign the title over to pay the fees.  I saw this guy go from a good, responsible worker to almost ready to kill himself over this incident.  Thankfully for his kids, I found him another job where he didn't have to drive.  We have the overzealous cops and legal system to thank for this crap.z
View Quote

What happened to get the police into your private parking lot at the exact moment that the guy was reaching for his cell phone? Kind of an odd timing and almost shows devine intervention. I know that in many states if you put the keys in the ignition that is intent to drive.

I would have thought that any lawyer worth his salt could have beaten the rap as you've explained it here.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:16:20 AM EDT
[#25]
I had two close calls, one on new years eve, guy swerves over the double lines and I was quick enough to steer onto the side of the road and last night I was pulling out of a driveway and a guy almost broad sides me, he just kept on going, that one had my heart pounding.

I don't drink either!
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:17:45 AM EDT
[#26]
In Ohio, up untill the first of Jan, 2004, we had a physical control section. If you were sitting behind the wheel, or if you were in the vehicle at all and had the keys, it counted as physical control. This applied anywhere, including your back yard. You could get a DUI on a lawnmower.  This has now changed, however.
BTW, our first drunk call started at about 2030 hrs, and our last one was at 0645 hrs, when I was about to go home.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:18:01 AM EDT
[#27]
What happened to get the police into your private parking lot at the exact moment that the guy was reaching for his cell phone?
View Quote

Our office is just on the edge of a bad neighborhood so they often park in the parking lot while doing paperwork.  A few of our employees have been mugged when walking from their cars and we've had company owned vehicles broken into dozens of times, so we're normally happy that they spend so much time in our parking lot.
I would have thought that any lawyer worth his salt could have beaten the rap as you've explained it here.
View Quote

He had a previous DUI, so that hurt his credibility.  I knew about that when I hired him.  It was just over 20 years ago when he was 19, so I didn't hold it against him but they certainly did.  I don't know how much he spent on a lawyer, but it was a large amount.  He had to take-out a second mortgage on his house to pay the bill.  I think he ended-up spending two weekends in jail and had his license suspended for 6 months.

I often have over a third of my employees that have a suspended or no license, so I hear about these sorts of things several times a week.  I just (a few days before Christmas! that was hard) had to let one guy go, because he got his third speeding ticket in two years so he lost his license for 90 days.  He drove 40 miles to get here from home then drove all day every day for us six days per week.  When you drive that much, it's hard to not get a ticket.  This police interference into our lives makes it hard for me to run a business and very hard for some of those guys to earn a living.z
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:24:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
In Ohio, up untill the first of Jan, 2004, we had a physical control section. If you were sitting behind the wheel, or if you were in the vehicle at all and had the keys, it counted as physical control. This applied anywhere, including your back yard. You could get a DUI on a lawnmower.  This has now changed, however.
View Quote

Thats kind of shitty. Since I drive truck, at times there are no loads sceduled. I'll go in the sleeper and have a beer or two in the parking lot where I am, and I have to run the truck for warmth. Means I could be accused of DWI.

Aviator
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Input #1 - "i fucking hate drunk drivers.3 poeple in my fam have been killed by dd'ers"

Input #2 - "Does government interference in our lives ever stop expanding? Arrested and his property stolen because he was asleep in his car on private property? I don't understand this new trend in arresting people for drunk driving that aren't ... driving!

About this time last year, a coworker was arrested for DUI when he to his car to get his cellphone before riding home with his neighbor. He was in our parking lot (private property) . I still can't believe he was found guilty of DUI considering he wasn't driving when he was arrested and was on private property. He had his truck taken by the police, and in affect, had it stolen from him because the towing fees and storage fees ended-up costing more than it was worth. He was very depressed for a couple of weeks after having to sign the title over to pay the fees. I saw this guy go from a good, responsible worker to almost ready to kill himself over this incident. Thankfully for his kids, I found him another job where he didn't have to drive. We have the overzealous cops and legal system to thank for this crap.z"

Guess which one knows the real story and which one is whining
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:04:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
In Ohio, up untill the first of Jan, 2004, we had a physical control section. If you were sitting behind the wheel, or if you were in the vehicle at all and had the keys, it counted as physical control.
View Quote

Interesting. In California we cannot arrest for a misdemeanor unless it is committed in our presence. What this meant was if a drunk crashed & killed somebody, the cop couldnt arrest becuase it didnt occur in his presence. However there are now some specific exemptions for DUI.  The law still prefers that the cops actually see the guy driving, even if ony for a couple inches, but it's not required.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:05:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Man slumped over the wheel of his truck, passed out, foot on gas, engine revving, in front of the liquor store! He was Sooo close. Now he's in jail and his truck is in car jail.
View Quote

Does government interference in our lives ever stop expanding?  Arrested and his property stolen because he was asleep in his car on private property?  
View Quote

Actually he was parked infront of the liquor store, on the curb line of a state hwy.

BTW: a parking lot, which is open to the public, is considered an "off street parking facility" and most of the vehicle code applies.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top