Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2004 7:57:09 PM EDT
Yeah...I was scared.  Palms sweaty scared...on the edge of my seat scared...I've never certified, so I dunno how much of it was BS.  It was pretty good.

Anyone else see this movie?

Link Posted: 8/6/2004 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I am SCUBA certified, but I prefer cavern and cave to open water.

I don't think this movie will do much to change that. I know I won't see it unless someone gives me the soilers first.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#2]
hehe - when I was in West Palm a few weeks ago, we lost one of the divers.  Found her again after she drifted for about 45 minutes, so it wasn't like she was really in danger

I wonder if she went to see it?  
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 8:23:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Edited not to spoil this movie.

Link Posted: 8/6/2004 8:42:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Question.  I was always under the impression that if a shark takes a piece of meat out of my leg...blood all over the place...the other 12 sharks around the area smell the blood and then I should be sharkbait within a matter of seconds.  I don't want to spoil the movie, but is there a chance that with ALL that blood, the sharks would just go away and leave me alone?

Your finished. I would assume, there would probably be a feeding frenzy and you would be the host.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am SCUBA certified, but I prefer cavern and cave to open water.

I don't think this movie will do much to change that. I know I won't see it unless someone gives me the soilers first.

I'm PADI certified also, and to me, cave diving is the scariest.  SCUBA diving makes me claustro- and nyctophobic when it comes to that.

What's the essence of the story?  I've read nothing an have seen only bits on TV.  People are abandoned?
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 8:51:05 PM EDT
[#6]

I smell SPOILERS!!!

Link Posted: 8/6/2004 8:52:26 PM EDT
[#7]
It's based on the true story of the Longernans (sp?) from Baton Rouge.  They went diving (Great Barrier Reef) and were left behind.  Any more than that will spoil it for you.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 8:56:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I smell SPOILERS!!!

SORRY!  
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Question.  I was always under the impression that if a shark takes a piece of meat out of my leg...blood all over the place...the other 12 sharks around the area smell the blood and then I should be sharkbait within a matter of seconds.  I don't want to spoil the movie, but is there a chance that with ALL that blood, the sharks would just go away and leave me alone?

Depends...you never know what sharks are going to do.
It would depend on what type of sharks were around, what the local food supply is like.
Here in Florida...we have alot of black tips, lemon sharks, assorted little reef sharks.
They can be very aggressive/curious...but they are also very cautious.
There are bigger sharks, (bulls, hammerheads, ect.) around here also...they might be more inclined to come take a bite.
I have never been bleeding like a stuck pig while in the water though...so I cant really say.

I will say this though...If you have been to Florida, and spent any great amount of time in the water at the beach...You have very likely been in the company of at least one passing shark of some type

But...you are in more danger driving to and from the beach in your car.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It's based on the true story of the Longernans (sp?) from Baton Rouge.  They went diving (Great Barrier Reef) and were left behind.  Any more than that will spoil it for you.

Oh...it takes place on the Great Barrier Reef !!!???...in that case, I think you would be lunch.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Actually supposed to be loosely based on the story that actually took place at the GBR, The MOVIE is set in Jamaica or the Virgin Islands I think.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:07:28 AM EDT
[#12]
tagged for later
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:14:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Not getting good reviews on www.moviefone.com.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:15:33 AM EDT
[#14]
... I'll see it for the thrill; it won't affect my position on diving though. Some things in life are inherently dangerous. Diving is such a unique experience that I’ll even continue night dives for lobster.

… Your imagination really gets active on night dives.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:03:33 AM EDT
[#15]
HAven't seen it, but the story it is based off of, is a couple that went to the GBR, and got left there by the dive boat. Back in the 90's. Heard the story and saw a special on it on tv about 2 years before we went to dive there.
Now all the dive boats to a log for going in and coming out of the water. They don't move till they physically see you and mark you off the list.
They were out for 3 days before anyone went looking for them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:13:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
HAven't seen it, but the story it is based off of, is a couple that went to the GBR, and got left there by the dive boat. Back in the 90's. Heard the story and saw a special on it on tv about 2 years before we went to dive there.
Now all the dive boats to a log for going in and coming out of the water. They don't move till they physically see you and mark you off the list.
They were out for 3 days before anyone went looking for them.

Never found them if I remember the story right?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Very depressing movie, I don't recommend this as a first date movie that is for damn sure.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:41:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Depressing.

They are just plain screwed.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Depressing.

They are just plain screwed.

+1
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:51:49 AM EDT
[#21]
It's a stupid movie and a waste of money.  It's supposed to be based off a true story but 90% of it happens after the boat leaves them...so that means 90% of the movie is pure fiction.

I won't spoil the movie but picture this, someone with a boat and a $2,000 video camera filming two people bobbing up and down in a ocean...the end.  That pretty much sums up the entire movie.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:00:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It's a stupid movie and a waste of money.  It's supposed to be based off a true story but 90% of it happens after the boat leaves them...so that means 90% of the movie is pure fiction.

I won't spoil the movie but picture this, someone with a boat and a $2,000 video camera filming two people bobbing up and down in a ocean...the end.  That pretty much sums up the entire movie.

Just like Perfect Storm.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:00:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:19:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Yep, never found them. But they did find their slate, and a lot of their gear. They tried to get it ruled a suicide pact thing till they found the slate.
It said something like, We have been left out at sea by our dive boat, to die, or some thing close.
Never understood why they stripped their gear off. I would never have given up my BC in the water. Even if I had to dump the tank(which I couldn't see doing either,)I could still keep afloat.

Also from what I remember, there were plenty of shallow areas in the GBR. Our boat had to becareful to keep off some of the reef.  Screw the sea life, I am standing on some of that to keep away from the sharks.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#25]
So could they swim to shore or was it too far away?

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

GunLvr

No shore in sight in any direction. Creepy!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:22:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GunLvr

I'd just swim west (assuming west is the direction of land).  They should be able to figure out which dirction west is by following the sun.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#28]
We get hammers and bull sharks a lot more frequently than I used to think. Seems like every week the news helicopter is filming sharks, over 10 feet long swimming among the beach going tourists. During the day I'm more worried about stingrays and jellyfish than sharks.

The ones who get bit are usually in the water at dusk when  a school of bait comes through.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Didn't see it, but where this really happened, it is like a hour out by boat, moving around 20 knots or so. Would take days to swim back. They figure they tried to stay put hoping another boat would come along, since the same dive sites get hit up all the time.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GunLvr

I'd just swim west (assuming west is the direction of land).  They should be able to figure out which dirction west is by following the sun.

GunLvr

Sometimes - especially on the great barrier reef - you could almost be 100 miles away from shore - on various day boats that go out.  It can easily be a 2-3 hour boat ride in a fast boat to get out ot the dive sites.  

Especially if there's a current, swimming is not going to accomplish much, except deplete your energy and speed up possible hypothermia.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#31]
My son and I PADI certified in June.  My 55-year-old bro is taking his two open water cert dives this weekend.  Bro, college roomie and I plan to go to Cancun in Decemer.  Think I'll skip the movie.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
My son and I PADI certified in June.  My 55-year-old bro is taking his two open water cert dives this weekend.  Bro, college roomie and I plan to go to Cancun in Decemer.  Think I'll skip the movie.

Cancun is supposed to be good, but Cozumel is supposed to be better.  If you haven't bought the tickets yet, might want to check Cozumel too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#33]
My wife and I did some snorkeling on that reef you are probably going to dive on in Cancun. It stretches a LONG way, I know that. We basically swam out to it from shore, that is how close it is to the shore in some places. Just a note, we swam there from the Club Med property on the south end of Cancun. Saw lots of interesting critters down there.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:25:30 PM EDT
[#34]
PADI,NAUI,SSI Certified. Full cave Cert./Divemaster Cert./Rescue diver Cert. all in the mid 90's. I've been in most of the holes(caves) in N. Florida. As well as the hot spots and others off the coasts of Florida, Mexico, Grand Caymen, Jamaica, and the Bahamas. Did a Kelp feild in Cali. a long time ago too. Hell I've even been in a bunch of lakes and rivers Florida. You guys wouldn't beleive the shit I did in the Sante Fe River. Night diving is my favorite open water dive. Catching bugs is great when they are in season.

The point of all this is to say, getting left behind when you're way tired, have major cotton mouth, little air left in the tank, and zero rations would absolutely SUCK ASS!!! I think this scares me more than most of the stuff I've done.

I always pack a snack and some fresh water when I dive. It's really easy. A small squirt bottle and any kind of food that isn't conamitnated by water. I like Snickers because the fish don't try to grab it. Just stick it in a bag and let drag off the back of your weight belt.

Diving in awesome. It's just not for everybody. Damn, I think I need to diving now.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#35]
I dive alot.
The place where the shark scene was filmed is a nice simple dive but yet pretty darn cool.
When we dove it the reef sharks were up to about 8 or 9 feet and circling the boat.
It's an earie feeling jumping in for the first time when large sharks are circling the boat.
There are normally about 30-50 sharks on them feed dives.
The reality of it is that these are semi trained due to shark feeding dive that turists love to go on.
I'm hot on them lobster night dives...just got a helios 13.5 18watt'er.
The wife said "YOU SPENT HOW MUCH ON A FUCKING LIGHT???!!!"
Opening week is getting closer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#36]
SAw the movie.  It can be drawn out, but I suspect they did that to create the feeling of tension:  I'm sure a situation like that would feel like it was forever.

The movie would be factual to the extent it was a good illustration of the mistakes which can be made, and the consequences of each.

The lessons are many.  First is:  "When the captain says 'be back at the boat at.<time>', BE BACK AT THE BOAT!"  I always use the rule of thirds, or fairly close to it.  One third of air out, one third back, and one third for contingencies, swim around a bit under the boat - there's stuff to see and photograph there, too - and a safety stop.  I dive alone quite a bit, so I find that all doubly important.

Met a lot of sharks, and they all have been hams for photographs.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I'm hot on them lobster night dives...just got a helios 13.5 18watt'er.
The wife said "YOU SPENT HOW MUCH ON A FUCKING LIGHT???!!!"

Damn, you can burn their eyes out with that. Nice light though. My wife would freak if I spent $1500 on a dive light just to go bugging. Do you shoot video also?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#38]
No videos I dig wrecks and deep walls
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Can someone IM me how it ends? I heard it ends suprisingly good but there is no way in hell im watching this thing so IM how it ends please.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#40]
People always say you are more likely to die in a car crash than get bitten or killed by a shark. I don't buy it.

How many people scuba at one place at the same time? Say the coast of California.... wild guess.... maybe 300 people at the very same time are diving. Now.... how many people are DRIVING around town in CA.... I dont even wanna guess.

Getting killed by a shark is probably much higher than a car crash considering the numbers.

I don't dive, but I scuba and spearfish, and I am always cautious of sharks, because I know they are there and wont hesitate to take a bite out of me if it is large enough and hungry enough to attack a human. We get more than a few attacks every summer and they happen all year long, beachgoers or not. Mostly to divers, surfers and kayakers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top