Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2002 8:57:19 PM EDT
I was hoping this would be a good movie but it bombed. How come comedians can't play serious roles? (Steve Martin, Robin Williams, etc.)
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#1]
WARNING! DO NOT GO SEE "ONE HOUR PHOTO". I ALMOST COMMITED SUICIDE IN THE MIDDLE OF IT JUST TO EASE THE PAIN IN MY EYES! WARNING!
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 4:54:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
WARNING! DO NOT GO SEE "ONE HOUR PHOTO". I ALMOST COMMITED SUICIDE IN THE MIDDLE OF IT JUST TO EASE THE PAIN IN MY EYES! WARNING!
View Quote

I second this comment.  The thought behind the movie was really good but it sucked.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 5:01:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was hoping this would be a good movie but it bombed. How come comedians can't play serious roles? (Steve Martin, Robin Williams, etc.)
View Quote

Yea, it was a slow rolling movie. But I liked it. Good movie for "escapism" when you live here on the East Coast all you want to do is think about escaping to the free lands. Plus the geographic shots were pretty cool.

Just my .02!
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 5:14:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 9:24:43 AM EDT
[#5]
It's a waste of money to see even rented.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree.  It was a slow flick, but I enjoyed it.  The scenery was great, and I think there were some pretty cool subtle things (if you managed to stay awake.)

Quoted:
Yea, it was a slow rolling movie. But I liked it. Good movie for "escapism" when you live here on the East Coast all you want to do is think about escaping to the free lands. Plus the geographic shots were pretty cool.

Just my .02!
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 10:11:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Worst Movie Ever
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Worst Movie Ever
View Quote

Wrong, the worst movie ever is Manos: The Hands of Fate.

Trust me on this.

the_reject
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 10:20:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I rented "Brotherhood of the Wolf" instead-it's dubbed but pretty well done. I couldn't finish it 'cause I had to get to bed to go hunting this morning, but so far it's cool-The King of France sends the hereo and his indian sidekick to capture a werewolf (maybe??). The indian for some reason fights like a karate guy [>:/]
View Quote

Before anybody else wants to rent/watch this chef d'oeuvre francais, read the following review of Brotherhood of the Wolf by RockyD at the Sierra Times. After reading his reviews on movies from a political point of view, you won't want to see most Hollyweird movies anymore, esp. this one.

"I know this to be true, because Hollyweird tells me so."[@:D]  

[url]http://www.sierratimes.com/02/02/08/rockyd.htm[/url]

An excerpt from his review on said film:

"I had no idea that the French even believed in werewolves. I had no idea that the French believed in anything but the French. Brotherhood Of The Wolf is based on a true story turned legend. Whereas we Americans have the Boogey Man and the English have Sweeney Todd, the French have La Bête, which is the name given to whatever beastie it was that killed over 100 women and children in the rainy French countryside circa 1760. They also referred to it as The Beast Of Gevaudan. Well, of _course_ it's beastly; it's a _French_ werewolf – deadly _and_ rude."
-ROCKYD[;D]  
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn, I guess I was the only one who thought that Insomnia was great.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, you aren't. I liked it and I don't think I was bored for a minute.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Robin Williams has done some of his best work in serious mode.  His part in "Good Will Hunting" was excellent...he won the Oscar for it, and I happened to agree with them that year.  He was also extraordinary in "Awakenings" With Robert DeNiro. "Patch Adams" was a good mix between a serious role playing a whacky character.

Now I don't have much good to say about Robin William's politics or his drug abusing past, but the guy can act.

I also watched "Brotherhood of the Wolf" and thought it was excellent.  The frog filmmakers hired a Hong Kong action director for the fight scenes, and those were handled beautifully. Of course you have to suspend disbelief for all of the fight scenes.

The indian "brother" of the hero is an American from Hawaii whose parents were both Kung Fu champions...so is he for that matter. I haven't the faintest idea what is ethnic origins are.

You had to ignore a bunch of stuff of course.  Like the indian character's ridiculously large tomahawk axe.  Way to big for Iroquoian use.  His fightng style is totally out of place.  The main bad guy has a ridiculous "sword" and evidently was completely unable to handle the swordsmanship work because his fight scenes look pretty bad compared to the rest of the movie, at least in that respect.

I think the movie's main problem was that French people take themselves too seriously.  If you want to make a fantasy/action movie loosely based on some piece of French folklore do it, but don't try to make any social points.

I just took it for what it was and enjoyed myself.  It isn't Saving Private Ryan or anything, but it is certainly way over the standard of most action movies, not quite "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" quality, but really pretty good considering the self-consciously European style. I'd watch it again.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Brotherhood Of The Wolf kicks ass if you have about three hours to kill.

Steve Martin? Serious role? Two words: Spanish Prisoner.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

i thought the movie was great as well.  the internal conflict that Pacino's character suffered was what drove the movie in my opinion.  the setting was also unsettling for some i suppose.  i tried to put myself in Pacino's character's shoes and asked myself what i would do had it been me.

robin williams' acting was great as well. i guess not so great if you were subconsciously thinking of him as being funny all the time.  

it was also refreshing to see small-town movie cops that are not from some hick town from the south (generalization not mine) for a change.

all in all, a very good movie, in my opinion and well worth the rent, maybe the purchase even, for you Pacino collectors.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 2:35:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I saw it last night over at my brother's.  Man, if you thought it was slow, try watching a half-way complicated movie with my brother.  Had to stop, explain what was going on, then rewind so he could watch the scene over again without my explanation. Repeat 6 times over the movie's course.

I didn't think it was a bad movie; kept you guessing whether Pacino was going to cooperate with, double-cross, or just go after the killer.

It was filmed in Canada, but the country looks just like Southeast Alaska. The midnight sun isn't so bad that far south, I kept thinking the movie was meant to take place up near the arctic circle, but there's no paved roads, no apartment buildings, no towns bigger than a few thousand people up there.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 5:54:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Saw it last nite, good movie, no AR15's, no hot sex, but still a good movie.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 6:04:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

That makes 3 of us, rented it last night....
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 6:29:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I saw it at the theater and thought it was great.

No unrealistic action and it made you think. I loved watching Pacino slowly unravel throughout the movie.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 6:47:00 AM EDT
[#20]
I liked both "Insommnia" and "Brotherhood Of The Wolf".

Insommnia is a remake of a European Nordic movie, notice how they call the Walther PPK a 9mm instead of a .380?

"Brotherhood" was just a lot of good fun, great villains, and I loved the Vatican intelligence agent, what a hottie!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top