Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/27/2004 12:55:09 PM EST
Air Force One just landed at Oakland County Airport. But it wasnt the 747 that I was expecting. It looks like a Boeing 757. Whats up with that? I didnt know we even had a 757 in Air Force One livery.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:59:15 PM EST
Thank God he didn't fly into Metro! I'm leaving work in about 10 minutes, and we would have been headed in the same direction!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:02:57 PM EST
Just pulled up to our hanger and the mororcade just left
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:04:10 PM EST
The news just said he is headed to the Silverdome for a rally. Shit I wish I was going.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:04:23 PM EST

Originally Posted By ARDOC:
But it wasnt the 747 that I was expecting.

Then it wasn't Air Force One.

The President always flies in his 747.

Right?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:05:09 PM EST
No it was definitely a 757. I think any plane with the Boss is called AF1.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:12:21 PM EST

I think you're right. As soon as the president steps foot in any airplane, it is known as Air Force 1,
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:13:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By yugosksfan:

I think you're right. As soon as the president steps foot in any airplane, it is known as Air Force 1,

He could get into a Cessna (sp?) and it would be AF1.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:16:36 PM EST
Steve, I know what you mean. The last time he was here, the traffic was a mess. They had cops ahead of the convoy that blocked intersections and basically wouldnt let any traffic near the motorcade. You got to love blacked out Suburbans. I wonder whats in those!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:17:14 PM EST
Maybe your airport isn't big enough for a 747... Maybe they needed to bring the smaller 757 so they could get in and out! But, those are both the best maintained aircraft I've ever seen. Somebody must polish them almost constantly!

Spooky
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:19:37 PM EST
That might be true. He just arrived from Finley Ohio. So he might be making the rounds at smaller cities. He has thousands of maintance guys for his planes, they are called the USAF! I am sure only the best of the best with security clearances are assigned.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:32:32 PM EST

You got to love blacked out Suburbans. I wonder whats in those!

Secret Service Emergency Response Team. I saw it on one of Joan Lunden's exposees.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:42:12 PM EST
No, no!

I know that the President could step on a blimp and it's <Armed Force> 1. What I'm saying is, are you sureit was the PRESIDENT?

Maybe it was Cheney? I can't imagine W NOT flying on the 747 these days!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:42:59 PM EST

Originally Posted By motown_steve:

You got to love blacked out Suburbans. I wonder whats in those!

Secret Service Emergency Response Team. I saw it on one of Joan Lunden's exposees.

Wasn't that just the BEST show?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:51:31 PM EST
It was the Pres himself. They had a rally at the Silverdome tonight.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:54:53 PM EST
I was up there today for Sig Armorer's class at Macomb CC. How do you guys deal with all that traffic? This hick from down south just don't get it!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:15:20 PM EST
The prez has several aircraft available to him. What aircraft is used, depends on airport size and how many people are flying with him. The prez has basically his pick of 737, 747, 757, G5, and lears. They are all done up in the same livery. Also the USAF isn't the only ones who maintian the presidents airplanes.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:17:02 PM EST
It was definetly President Bush. The aircraft is a 757 as a 747 couldn't land or taxi on the airport. When I left work (at 12:00) they had the plane roped off and armed guards standing watch. People were at the fence from the time he got here until I left. Had a few of them ask me if it was alright if they walked out on the ramp and tale pictures. I told them that I didn't mind, but the guys with the guns might.

Had SS agents in all the hangers all day which made it very hard to do our jobs, they were getting into everything. I had to have an excort from one hanger to another so I could get some power supplies that I had to test.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:35:27 PM EST
I saw a TV show about Air Force One a few months back. I recall something about the 747 being used mostly for overseas trips, and smaller planes (ie like a 757) being used domestically.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:30:00 PM EST
Here's a neat story for you guys.

I work line delivery at WHiteman AFB, MO. I basically bring munitions and/or trailers across the flightline to the bomb dump. One day, I noticed AF 1 was parked on the flightline. Turns out Mr. Bush was in the area for a rally.

Anyhow, we had to move some trailers so we picked them up then went down the taxiway towards the runway. When we requested clearance to cross, we were told to stay put for a minute. Soon, 5 minutes go by, and we still don't have clearance.

Then, right in front of me and my coworker, we saw AF1 taxiing out to the runway. It took off, less than 150 feet away from us. That plane is HUGE! And loud..wow it was cool.

That's my storyhug.gif
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:41:25 PM EST
I dont know what they call it when he gets in a civie plane but if its AN Air Force craft its AF 1. If its Navy it becomes Navy 1, Marine it becomes Marine 1.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:45:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2004 10:49:12 PM EST by Sukebe]

Originally Posted By yugosksfan:

A little piece of Presidential trivia; When GWB flew to Iraq. He flew in his 747 but it wasn't Air Force One. To keep the trip secret, they traded call signs with a plane parked on the ground in Boston that filed a flight plan from Boston to Kuwait. The plane on the ground became Air Force One and the Presidents plane assumed the call sign and flight plan to Kuwait. The air traffic controllers never caught on. Actually, both 747's made the trip. The second one was a back up and landed in Turkey and waited in case it was needed. The back up also had a second plane on the ground in Boston that it traded call signs with.

You may wonder how I know this. A friend of mine was on the flight crew of the back up and I met the Pilot who flew GWB into Baghdad. He related the entire story of how the idea of going to Baghdad came about and how the plan unfolded and how it was kept secret even from the very top AF commanders. In fact, the story of how the Base Commander in Turkey reacted to seeing that big blue and white 747 landing at his base without warning is pretty funny as well. I only wish I had asked them what call signs they used.

BTW, I toured AF1 tail number 29000 back in July when GWB was in town. What a great experience. I never get tired of telling people about it either
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:18:51 AM EST
I hope he makes a little trip to Bagdhad either right before or right after the election.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:26:21 AM EST
I work fairly close to the airport here, and they use it as an alternate.

At least once a week I see it cruising by doing touch and go's. Those pilots are top notch!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:28:02 AM EST

Originally Posted By Zaphod:

Right?

Air Force One is whatever plane the president is on. A Cessna could be AFO.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:37:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2004 7:38:23 AM EST by djgolus]

Air Force One just landed at Oakland County Airport. But it wasnt the 747 that I was expecting. It looks like a Boeing 757. Whats up with that? I didnt know we even had a 757 in Air Force One livery.

The runway isn't long enough at Oakland County for a 747 - I used to live a mile from the airport

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:39:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2004 7:42:04 AM EST by Leisure_Shoot]
What's the weight difference for 747 vs 757?

My limited understanding is that the 747 is fitted with heavier powered engines than normal, so take off and landing is not the issue.

I would suspect the main limitation would be the weight issue, if the airport is smaller, and can't support a heavier aircraft.

eta: I remember when the Pres was in the S3 Viking, the press called it AF1. Should have been N1, I would assume.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:42:51 AM EST

That is correct. I was listening to AF2 comm on the scanner when VP was in town last week.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:44:45 AM EST

Originally Posted By ArmaLiteM15KevinZ:
Here's a neat story for you guys.

I work line delivery at WHiteman AFB, MO. I basically bring munitions and/or trailers across the flightline to the bomb dump. One day, I noticed AF 1 was parked on the flightline. Turns out Mr. Bush was in the area for a rally.

Anyhow, we had to move some trailers so we picked them up then went down the taxiway towards the runway. When we requested clearance to cross, we were told to stay put for a minute. Soon, 5 minutes go by, and we still don't have clearance.

Then, right in front of me and my coworker, we saw AF1 taxiing out to the runway. It took off, less than 150 feet away from us. That plane is HUGE! And loud..wow it was cool.

That's my story

Kev

It's PRESIDENT Bush damnit!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:45:21 AM EST
found it...
Cheney was on it for this pic...

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:49:11 AM EST
Please God, let me see this again in Feb.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:57:40 AM EST
I did a lot of Google seacrching, and the 757 is almost always referred to as Air Force 2 in the pictures, and mentioning Cheney being in town. So I suspect it is primariliy used for VP travel. Of course, if the Pres needs it, it would be called AF1.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:06:51 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2004 8:08:31 AM EST by Sukebe]
The aircraft used as Air Force One is a Boeing 747-200B. The military designation is VC-25. There are two of them, Tail number 28000 and 29000. They are operated by the Presidential Air lift Group of the Military Air Mobility Commands 89th Air Lift Wing. They have several planes of various configurations painted in a scheme similar to Air Force One. Only VC-25's 28000 and 29000 bare the Presidential seal.
The only military aircraft that will use the call sign "Air Force One" are Air Force aircraft. When the President flies on the Aircraft of any other branch of service, they use the "One" call sign of their service. Example would be Marine One when the President flies on the Marine Corps helicoptor.

In 1998, the 89th Air Lift wing received four Boeing 757-200's desiganted C-32A's. These are used as Air Force Two and fly the Vice President, First Lady and other dignitaries.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:26:04 AM EST

Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
What's the weight difference for 747 vs 757?

My limited understanding is that the 747 is fitted with heavier powered engines than normal, so take off and landing is not the issue.

I would suspect the main limitation would be the weight issue, if the airport is smaller, and can't support a heavier aircraft.

eta: I remember when the Pres was in the S3 Viking, the press called it AF1. Should have been N1, I would assume.

www.salemthesoldier.us/usslincoln_01.jpg

The President's recent approach to the aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln resulted in the following: "Navy One" was on final approach for trap aboard CVN ABRAHAM LINCOLN... the President, making the radio call, said:

"Lincoln, Navy One, 12,500 lbs, I have the balls"

His call brought down the house in wild cheers.

Link Here

Navy one again at CNN

Marine One here
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:34:08 AM EST
the pres was in town a few years back and we were doning some engine running loading on c130, except the gate was locked to get to the 130- because the preze's helicopters were stored in a hanger right next to the 130- kinda got the aqttention of the gurds around the helos whe a bouch of guys dressed in camo jup out of the back of a pickup and climb over the fence...
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:44:59 AM EST
I saw him a month or so ago at NAS Willow Grove. Had a big ol' 747. We have an 8000' runway.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:51:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By Zaphod:

Right?

ANY aircraft the President travels on is given the designation Air Force One.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:58:59 AM EST
Follow up. POTUS was in Saginaw MI this morning. Marine 1 landed about 1 mile from Wendler Arena (aka Dow Events Center) & the motorcade carried him the last little way. The areana was PACKED! The crowd was LOUD and supportive. I know these rallys are for supporters, but the largest portion of people there were locals. Contrast that with the kerry campaign bussing union thugs in from 200 miles away to try to fill up a venue in MADISON CHEESECONSIN.

I believe Bush will take Michigan. Motown Steve said so
Top Top