Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2004 12:14:17 PM EDT
I just put 6 gallons of  regular  unleaded in my diesel by mistake.  It is diluted by 23 gallons of diesel. am I screwed or what?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#1]
hmmm, diesel has really low octane right? wait no thats not right diesels are hi compression high octane fuel.

I don't know what you should do??
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:18:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I just put 6 gallons of  regular  unleaded in my diesel by mistake.  It is diluted by 23 gallons of diesel. am I screwed or what?

You will be fine. Just don't do it often and never more than 1:4. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:20:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Diesals can burn most anything.

Prolly won't matter.

Add as much diesal as often as you can.  Dilution
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:26:31 PM EDT
[#5]
agreed that you're ok.  i've heard of a guy that used to keep one of those big propane cylinders at his house- he ran it out every couple of months- but he had heat pumps and drove a diesel mercedes- the main difference there was the federal tax......... i understand that that may be hard on injectors, but you ain't gonna KB.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I've heard there's a pretty easy conversion that allows a diesel engine to run on any vegetable oil.

Once, years ago, my mom had borrowed my car and she accidentally put a full tank of diesel in my gasoline car.  Luckily she realized it before starting the engine - I get the impression that might have been a really bad thing.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Prolly won't matter.

Who, or what, is Prolly?

BTW: The mech guys used to mix gas in diesel... they claimed it made the tracks run better?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#8]
About the only thing that will happen is your pistons might fire a little prematurely due to the increased combustability of regular gasoline. The more crude diesel oil simply allows the piston to fire without the use of a spark plug... although "glow" plugs are used on ignition.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Wll I feel much better reading these replys, now I only feel like a dumbass, not a screwed one.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:39:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prolly won't matter.

Who, or what, is Prolly?

BTW: The mech guys used to mix gas in diesel... they claimed it made the tracks run better?

... Tracks? What tracks?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:45:42 PM EDT
[#11]
diesel in a gas will make it either not run or run so shitty that you really cant go anywhere but won't hurt anything except maybe the electric fuel pump

gas in a diesel is a hand grenade, the motor will run away from itself due to the octane of the gasoline and the compression of the diesel engine

i don't know about mixtures though...........................IF you decide to run this tank through the truck, TAKE IT EASY.  just put around, no loads, no heavy foot..............................
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prolly won't matter.

Who, or what, is Prolly?

... Tracks? What tracks?

Colloquial term for the small personnel carriers and combat vehicles, from the fact that they ran on continuous looped, treaded tracks (tracked vehicle, think tanks or bulldozers)... you know, clankity, clankity, clankity?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:48:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prolly won't matter.

Who, or what, is Prolly?

Tracked armored vehicles are some times refered to a "tracks" for short.  More correct than a blanket statement of "tanks"

... Tracks? What tracks?

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:01:53 PM EDT
[#14]
STOP!  Drain the tank.  It is not worth risking it.  I seen one melt down before.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
STOP!  Drain the tank.  It is not worth risking it.  I seen one melt down before.

+1
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:06:45 PM EDT
[#16]
yep, my best advice would be to not chance it, just siphon the gas out, get rid of it, fill back up with DIESEL and then you don't have to worry about it
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prolly won't matter.

Who, or what, is Prolly?

... Tracks? What tracks?

Bookmark thread. Join the Army. Do a tour in Armor, Cav or Mech Infantry. Come back later and re-read thread.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:10:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Once, years ago, my mom had borrowed my car and she accidentally put a full tank of diesel in my gasoline car.  Luckily she realized it before starting the engine - I get the impression that might have been a really bad thing.

How the hell did she do that? I thought deisel pump nozzles didn't even FIT into car gas tank filler ports!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:13:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How the hell did she do that? I thought deisel pump nozzles didn't even FIT into car gas tank filler ports!

Beats me - but this was in Denmark, where a LOT of people have diesel cars, so I think the nozzles at the gas station might be the same.

As to how she didn't notice - my dad and her had been living in Malaysia for years, with chauffeurs for all of their driving, so it had probably been many years since she had actually pumped her own gas.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:19:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Yeah, we also mixed it together to burn shit faster when we were deployed! worked like a charm!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Six Gallons into Twenty Three is over a safe limit . If its a late model engine using common rail injection it will be more of a problem .  If it were my vehicle I would drain at least 75% of the tank and refill with fresh fuel .

I've been out of Diesel work a few years and strictly work on late model cars , but there used to be an additive for just such salutations .  Even so , I think it used to say that it was for a 10% or lower mix of gas and diesel .
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Chrome: He said 6 diluted by 23 gallons of diesel, so I'd assume its a 30gal tank.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, since "tracks" has been covered fully...

"Prolly" is slang for "Probably" - I have no clue where it started, but since the same people that say "brah" tend to use it, I am guessing California.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, we also mixed it together to burn shit faster when we were deployed! worked like a charm!

Roger that, I have a personal record for a 35 gallon foo gas shot! Like than man says, messed up their garden something terrible...
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Just don't put DC in your AC electric car!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Well, since "tracks" has been covered fully...

"Prolly" is slang for "Probably" - I have no clue where it started, but since the same people that say "brah" tend to use it, I am guessing California.

Ahhh, slacker syndrome. Perhaps it started in a country where they spell diesel with an "a"?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Volkswagon used to reccomend 10% gasoline in winter.  You are alittle above that but I sure wouldn't worry about it.  When down to 3/4 tank, fill up w/diesel.  Repeat a couple times and it will dilute quickly.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#28]
It's on the iffy side.  If you stop the engine with a mechanical fuel stop, then runaways aren't a problem.  Disels will run on just about anything more volatile than water, but things lighter than diesel can be too oomphy for the compression.  

Diluting it more may make it safe, if it doesn't , what's it gonna cost to fix.   compared to the cost of taking it out. If you still want to use, keep it and top off every so often with it, but not every time.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:15:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Wouldn't the lower flashpoint of gasoline be the concern? Wouldn't the lower flashpoint cause premature ignition.

I wouldn't think the octane rating would matter. We run JP-5 in marine diesels often enough.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:04:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Worked at a gas station years ago when i 75 was not finished. A trucker came in and needed fuel we didn't sell it ; but he was on fumes so in goes 20 gallons of regular and two quarts of non detergent 30 weight!!! His cure not mine your mileage may vary!!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:41:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Drain as much as you can, keep what you drian and refill with diesel as much as the tank will hold.

Otherwise, that much gasoline will cause premature detonation, and can possibly burn or crack a piston, or bend a rod. On older simple engines it wasn't as much a problem, but with the newer electronicly controlled engines and the higher fuel injection pressures it can be very bad.

When your at a half tank, dump in 5 gallons of the stuff you drained, and run to empty, then fill to 1/2 tank and repeat till what you drained is gone.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Diesel in a gas motor is very bad (not main topic, I know) It will clog up injectors, and varnish the cylinder walls.  It will ruin a gas motor.  A friend of mine did this to his street rod after a car show.  He was so used to filling up his diesel truck, he pumped it into his gas motor.  It was TPInjection.  It ran 25 feet and stopped dead, flat bed home, $500 tow.  They had to drain and flush his tank, fuel lines, and clean his injectors.  Very expensive day.    
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
yep, my best advice would be to not chance it, just siphon the gas out, get rid of it, fill back up with DIESEL and then you don't have to worry about it

how are you supposed to just get rid of 30 gallons of fuel??  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

how are you supposed to just get rid of 30 gallons of fuel??  

pour it along your fenceline and don't worry about weedeating for a while
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Diesel in a gas motor is very bad (not main topic, I know) It will clog up injectors, and varnish the cylinder walls.  It will ruin a gas motor.  A friend of mine did this to his street rod after a car show.  He was so used to filling up his diesel truck, he pumped it into his gas motor.  It was TPInjection.  It ran 25 feet and stopped dead, flat bed home, $500 tow.  They had to drain and flush his tank, fuel lines, and clean his injectors.  Very expensive day.    

on a high performance engine i don't doubt it's troublesome.....................in the midst of hurricane brett we had our super unleaded tank out here filled by some inept monkeyfucker with diesel and my '98 350 truck was filled to the brim with diesel in preparation for the storm.  no adverse effects except the diesel burnt out the electric fuel pump.  at least in that scenario your engine won't hand grenade!!!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:08:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, at least you won't be having an algae problem anytime soon.

If it's a 1:5 ratio  I wouldn't worry about it much .

OTOH...

You could always buy a couple of 5 gal fuel jugs , drain 10 gals and make it up with diesel.    Add the other back as necessary over the next few weeks.   Heck, everybody needs an extra fuel jug or two in this era of  iffiness.

Rip
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#38]
To get rid of it...  5 gallon jugs.... few 'sticks' of tannerite and a large open area.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#39]
dump a quart or 2 of motor oil in it and dont worry...
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The wife of a friend of mine filled the tank of their 3 week old Toyota Camry with diesel once.  She was late for an appointment, had 2 kids in the car, was pissed at my friend because he'd left her an empty tank, and was used to buying gas from a station that color-coded their regular with green.  So she fills the tank and hits the road.  She got a few miles down the road and started having some serious problems.  So she limps it to the dealer, which happened to be nearby, and proceded to go off on the guy at the service desk about what a POS her new car was.  After about half an hour the mechanic came out and very politely explained that -somebody- had filled her tank with deisel fuel.  

It took them close a week to get the engine cleaned out and running correctly and, needless to say, cleaning deisel out of the engine is not covered by the factory warranty.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
The wife of a friend of mine filled the tank of their 3 week old Toyota Camry with diesel once.  She was late for an appointment, had 2 kids in the car, was pissed at my friend because he'd left her an empty tank, and was used to buying gas from a station that color-coded their regular with green.  So she fills the tank and hits the road.  She got a few miles down the road and started having some serious problems.  So she limps it to the dealer, which happened to be nearby, and proceded to go off on the guy at the service desk about what a POS her new car was.  After about half an hour the mechanic came out and very politely explained that -somebody- had filled her tank with deisel fuel.  

It took them close a week to get the engine cleaned out and running correctly and, needless to say, cleaning deisel out of the engine is not covered by the factory warranty.

Y'know - I've been pumping gas into cars for over 20 years - and I don't think I've EVER even noticed what color the pump was - I READ THE FREAKIN' PUMP!   Oh well, I knew a guy whose wife couldn't even fill up gas - to hear here, you'd think that would be like asking her to do a complete engine rebuild.  She just claimed she wasn't good with "car stuff" - she was not dumb either - some people just seem to be content with ignorance.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Y'know - I've been pumping gas into cars for over 20 years - and I don't think I've EVER even noticed what color the pump was - I READ THE FREAKIN' PUMP!  

-Most- places use green for deisel.  There's only one chain I know of that uses green for any grade of gasoline.  99% of her driving was within a few miles of home and she always bought gas at the same place, which happened to use green on the regular unleaded.  The one time she went to a diffeent station she had a bunch of distractions and just grabbed the green one like she always did.  

You can be certain that she always takes the fraction of a second necessary to read the labels since that happened.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#43]
I was a bit distracted byTHE FRIGGING HURRICANE!!, opps sorry for yelling
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#44]
DO NOT RUN YOUR MOTOR!!!! I KNOW FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE!!! 1800 BUCKS LATER, YOU WILL BE SORRY!!!

Drain your tank, then put diesel back in it.

May run rough for a while, but it will save $$$$ in the long run.

Don't attempt to run it!!!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#45]
STOP!!!!  Drain the fuel tank You will destroy your pump and injectors due to lack of lube properties in gasoline you will also overheat the pistons and then you get meltdown
, burned valves, and finally KB.

It isn't worth the risk.

I happen to be a training instructor for a Cat dealer and I have a degree in this stuff so I do know a little about this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top