BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 9:47:09 PM EDT
Lets hear WHAT & WHY

FAST FORWARD TO PAGE 2 TO SEE THE ONE MONTH RESULTS
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I recommend buying low and selling high.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I recommend buying low and selling high.

good advice
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I will be buying some:  VLCM: VOLCOM INC

They are going to be fetured in a movie soon
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I just wanna say one word to you. Just one word. .......are you listening?..............plastics
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I just wanna say one word to you. Just one word. .......are you listening?..............plastics

I got the why...how about the what?  Name a stock
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#6]
The coffee craze will mature and eventually we will see consolidation.  Look for smaller publicly traded coffee companies to become attractive to the larger companies.  Smaller companies will become in demand and their stock price will rise.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:45:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I suggest you see if your local library has Value Line, which is a company that writes one-page research reports on most stocks. Check out some samples here. Most research reports are crap, but Value Line's tend to be pretty reliable over the long term. I try to see what's ranked 1 or 2 for Timeliness and Safety, which means it's projected to do well but not be too volatile. I also read the reports and see if I like what the company is doing (i.e. if they were selling bread during the Atkins diet craze, I'd stay away).
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#8]
diversify
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#9]
First tip: Dont ask for tips. The tips you get are usually bad or the guy giving the tip wants someone(you) to buy his junk stock that he cant sell.

Second tip: Get Investors Business Daily (IBD) newspaper. One of the better news sources.

Third tip: Be prepared to lose money. Its gonna happen sooner or later. It is stressfull. Be also prepared when you make money. It is joyous, which is dangerous because it can affect your judgement. Its like being drunk, and is similar to gambing...and we all know that gamblers anonymous exists for a reason. Just be aware that the money isnt just numbers on a ticker or numbers to throw around; it is money, food on your table...your retirement or what have you, it is money- not numbers.

Have fun
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#10]
VL and IBD are excellent suggestions.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:18:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I watch Mad Money with that loud guy
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:50:03 PM EDT
[#12]
My tip?

Dump your Scottrade account, buy Class III and play with your investments while they appreciate faster than your stocks would have.

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:27:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
My tip?

Dump your Scottrade account, buy Class III and play with your investments while they appreciate faster than your stocks would have.

You're welcome.

where did you get a class 3? did you get a good price? price per trade?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:41:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Delta Airlines (DAL) is tempting, it's reached a 43 year low a couple days ago, sometimes stocks of companies on the verge of bankruptcy will bounce back alot, and sometimes they dont.  Take your chances I guess
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:59:54 AM EDT
[#15]
No need to complicate things.  Forget individual stocks for now.  Get a good mutual fund like VTSMX and make sure to re-invest the dividends.  

Check out misc.invest.mutual-funds or misc.invest.stocks.

A book you might consider reading, A Random Walk Down Wall Street.  Not heavy reading, but very enlightening.

I enjoy listeneing to Bob Brinker but he tries hard not to let the cat out the bag on his radio show, therefore forcing you subscribe to his news letter: http://www.bobbrinker.com.

You might also consider http://www.fundx.com or http://www.fabian.com.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:15:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I suggest you see if your local library has Value Line, which is a company that writes one-page research reports on most stocks. Check out some samples here. Most research reports are crap, but Value Line's tend to be pretty reliable over the long term. I try to see what's ranked 1 or 2 for Timeliness and Safety, which means it's projected to do well but not be too volatile. I also read the reports and see if I like what the company is doing (i.e. if they were selling bread during the Atkins diet craze, I'd stay away).

+1 for Value line also realize that most discount brokers want you to trade. Don't trade to much find a position and stick with it. Heres my dull scottrade porfolio TMA, XLU, XLE, RIG,SII, NBR,DENN, RHAT,ADSX, VLEOX,VALIX,VALSX. and a few others up 11 % this year.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:23:30 AM EDT
[#17]
+1 on Value Line. They have ther own Mutal funds that use their system very good.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:22:26 AM EDT
[#18]
CESI and buy gold or silver coins
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:27:13 AM EDT
[#19]
go ahead and burn your money...get it over with now.  

The sorriest chapter of my life began with me playing the stock market.  

I will sprout wings and fly before I ever "invest" another dime in the stock market.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:27:48 AM EDT
[#20]
"You can never get to the lowest low, or to the highest high."
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:30:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Lets hear WHAT & WHY

My advice - people should do their homework.  It's fine to ask for 'tips' on stocks but they really are meaningless without doing your own research.

Never buy anything that ANYONE - ANYONE recommends until YOU have studied the financials and know alot about the company.   Start by reading Peter Lynches books.  Easy reads and very informative.  Get them at the library.

Stock tip???? Plastics my son, plastics.   (the old guys will know the movie this comes from)
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:47:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Buy and hold Exxon-Mobil; Then when the price of oil goes up, you make money.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:28:36 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Delta Airlines (DAL) is tempting, it's reached a 43 year low a couple days ago, sometimes stocks of companies on the verge of bankruptcy will bounce back alot, and sometimes they dont.  Take your chances I guess

I am going to buy some
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am going to buy some

You have to learn the difference btwn investing and speculation.  

Buy DAL if you want, but don't say you weren't warned.  You seem to want to jump on board a sinking ship.  There must be some kind of investing radio show in your area you can call up and ask before throwing your money away.

Seriously, go ahead and check out some of the links I posted and maybe pick up that Malkiel book.

For now dollar cost average into a good index fund like VTSMX, or ETF like SPY.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got the why...how about the what?  Name a stock

gee,  you never saw the movie, THE GRADUATE?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#26]
waffles, tasty waffles  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Scottrade has a great new tool!  Trailing Triggers!  USE THEM!  I set a 10% trailing stop (aka trailing trigger) on every stock in my Scottrade account.  This means that if you buy a stock and set a trailing stop at 10% of the stock price, the stock will sell automatically if the price drops 10% or more (you can set this at any amount you want)  Now here is the best part..... say the stock goes up 40% your trigger "follows" it upward, so say the stock now drops 10% it will sell and you will still have a 30% gain.

Yes I know trailing stops are confusing, but take the time to read about them on the site.

I just bought the following last few weeks, and yes I have a 10% trailing stop on all of them!

take it for what it is worth:

COH
MOT
CLW
DNA
EMC
ET
WAG
ELBO

These are great companies!  Always buy quality companies!!!  Never buy a POS company, EVER!
I already bought some COH in 12/04 and it is up over 40% some ELBO in 12/04 and it is up over 65% and my CLW is already up about 8% in less than a week!

Don't ever just jump into anyones "stock tip" even if it comes from Mad Money.... be sure to do your own homework.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:00:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
go ahead and burn your money...get it over with now.  

The sorriest chapter of my life began with me playing the stock market.  

I will sprout wings and fly before I ever "invest" another dime in the stock market.  

Let me guess.... you got into the market around March 2000.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#29]
KKD
because I bought it at $20.63, and again at $9.30, and it's at $7.37 right now.  Total loss of -49.57% right now.  I need some peeps to start buying this stuff up!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
KKD
because I bought it at $20.63, and again at $9.30, and it's at $7.37 right now.  Total loss of -49.57% right now.  I need some peeps to start buying this stuff up!

Never average down.  Learn from my mistakes.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:31:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#32]
UPS
ATK
Best Buy
Medtronic

These have worked real good for me
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:21:26 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
UPS
ATK
Best Buy
Medtronic

These have worked real good for me

I bought XM Satellite in April at 27.70/share. Today it closed at 36.00
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:31:56 AM EDT
[#34]
I saw a posting in GD saying there was an upcoming shortage of silicon.
I bought Komatsu who mines silicon @ $28.00
It's now at $46.00
Look for insight in odd places and then do a lot of research.
Jim Cramer has a good show.
Right now check out the energy/natural gas sector.
Reearch some of the companies affected by Katrina see who will be getting their business.
Good luck!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:22:44 AM EDT
[#35]
You should'nt buy a single stock unless your financially "set" for life IMO. Till then I'd stick with mutual funds. They're less of a 'chance'. Sept 2005 "kiplingers" magizine has GREAT information on the aray of Funds available.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
You should'nt buy a single stock unless your financially "set" for life IMO. Till then I'd stick with mutual funds. They're less of a 'chance'. Sept 2005 "kiplingers" magizine has GREAT information on the aray of Funds available.

Sounds like you are more of a "Brinker" than a "Cramer"
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like you are more of a "Brinker" than a "Cramer"

...too a point. I watched 46k go bye-bye in the NASDAQ meltdown a few yrs back, in 1 stock, thats serious cash IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top