Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 5/5/2004 2:27:03 AM EDT
... I'd like to be able to sit through a movie and make a running commentary without being interrupted.

When watching a movie that involves firearms, aviation, history, or general military stuff I have to point out gross errors made by the producer/director/whoever. I have to do it or I feel like my head will explode. Also, I do it for the edification and enlightenment of my wife and children.

Can they appreciate what I'm doing for them to enhance the experience? Nooooooooooo!!! I get shushed and scolded. I've even tried pausing the movie so we don't miss any "dialogue" (which is usually pretty weak anyway), but then I get criticized for that.

Well, I'd like them to sit there quietly and soak in some of this knowledge instead of being so critical.

Do any of you guys experience this, too?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:29:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Brohawk:
... I'd like to be able to sit through a movie and make a running commentary without being interrupted.
When watching a movie that involves firearms, aviation, history, or general military stuff I have to point out gross errors made by the producer/director/whoever. I have to do it or I feel like my head will explode. Also, I do it for the edification and enlightenment of my wife and children.
Can they appreciate what I'm doing for them to enhance the experience? Nooooooooooo!!! I get shushed and scolded. I've even tried pausing the movie so we don't miss any "dialogue" (which is usually pretty weak anyway), but then I get criticized for that.
Well, I'd like them to sit there quietly and soak in some of this knowledge instead of being so critical.
Do any of you guys experience this, too?

No, you should get professional help.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:42:17 AM EDT
Just once your family would probably like to sit through a movie in peace. They're just looking to be entertained, not educated.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:43:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:05:13 AM EDT
Nope.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:09:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rn45:
Just once your family would probably like to sit through a movie in peace. They're just looking to be entertained, not educated.

I obviously need to refine my sarcasm. I'll work on it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:14:48 AM EDT
Brohawk, You wouldn’t happen to be talking about the……….

1,000 yard sniper shots with;
A suppressed Ruger 10/22.
An SKS.
An Ak47.

People flying through the air when shot.

People dieing instantly when shot in places where they would not die until they bleed out.

Firearms that seem to never run out of bullets.

And so on and so on And so on and so on And so on and so on And so on and so on
And so on and so on And so on and so on And so on and so on And so on and so on……

I used to have the same problem until my son started doing the commentary. I always chose a lull in the action and dialogue for my comments. My son feels free to comment through the whole movie with such saying things like, “They can’t really do that can they dad?” “That’s stupid isn’t it dad?” “When I was five I could shoot better than that couldn’t I dad?” And so on and so on And so on and so on And so on and so on And so on and so on And so on and so on And so on and so on And so on and so on And so on and so on……

He doesn’t leave anything out and it drives me crazy because I’m missing key dialogue in the movie.

I am cured for now and will be for at least as long as he and I live under the same roof. I hope for his sake he can kick this annoying habit without long before he has kids of his own.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:16:18 AM EDT
Just sit back and enjoy for movie for what it is... a movie. Not a pop-quiz of your knowledge. At the end of the movie, kick your feet back with a smile knowing that you are better than everyone involvedi n that movie for not having all the facts in before throwing them up in front of millions of people. Hollywood has never been a dealer of reality in any sense of the word. If they were, it would juts be called "the news".
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:16:28 AM EDT
Pardon me...my sarcasm detector works slowly this time of the morning.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:37:49 AM EDT
SHHHHHHHHH!

I'm trying to watch the movie!
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:20:53 AM EDT
Like my wife always says..."It's a movie already. Nobody else even knows (or cares) what you're talking about."

My reply is usually something like, "Oh, like I'm the only one on the planet who's smart enough to know the difference?"

I've learned though. Never watch a movie with your wife that is loaded with technical inaccuracies. You'll make her crazy with your commentary or you'll make yourself crazy if you just sit there and shut up.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:26:07 AM EDT
I just wish I could watch Young Guns (I & II) or Tombstone wihtout feeling the overwhelming urge to recite the script for EVERY CHARACTER.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:30:24 AM EDT
Sometimes we'll have beer & movie night at my friends house. His wife says she feels like she's watching MST3000 with all the commentary going on. So, no it's not just you.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:34:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By THISISME:

I used to have the same problem until my son started doing the commentary. I always chose a lull in the action and dialogue for my comments. My son feels free to comment through the whole movie with such saying things like, “They can’t really do that can they dad?” “That’s stupid isn’t it dad?” “When I was five I could shoot better than that couldn’t I dad?” And so on and so on And so on and so on And so on and so on And so on and so on And so on and so on And so on and so on And so on and so on And so on and so on……

Sounds like you're bonding!!!!! You guys could make a great team in a theater!
Top Top