Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2003 5:51:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2003 5:52:35 AM EDT by dcoke76]
A guy I work with had an old over/under 20 gauge in his closet gathering dust. His wife is 8 months pregnant with twins therefore she doesnt work.

I received a nice 5 pack of No.4 Monte Cristo Cigars for cmas and mentioned them to him. He is a big cigar collector and was interested in them.

I traded him the cigars plus $100 in cash for the shotgun.

It is in pretty good shape (except it has a little bit of light rust in a few spots on the barrel) with light walnut stock. It also has the double staggered triffers which I had never seen before. The maker is someone i have never heard of except it has quite a bit of engraving on it and says "Made in Italy" on the left.

How do you think I did in the trade? Anyone have an idea of the shotgun?

Any idea how to properly remove the rust? i have CLP and some other products and whats the best method?
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:00:50 AM EDT
Are you happy with the trade? If so it really doesn't matter what others think of it. Sounds good to me though. Try some really fine steel wool. Like 0000 and some good gun oil. That should work for the rust.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:02:03 AM EDT
I've been hearing really good things about Blue Wonder

[img]http://www.bluewonder.us/catalog/images/BWGC-4.jpg[/img]

It is supposed to be a great rust remover.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:13:07 AM EDT
What's the maker's name?
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 7:23:35 AM EDT

All this came from the left side of the barrel

"Iver Johnsons Arms, Cycle Works, Fitchburg, Mass"

right side: "Marocchi Gardone V.T. Brescia, Made in Italy"

No serial number but thats it.

As far as rust, I didn't think you wanted to use steel wool as it could pitt the metal further.

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 7:32:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2003 7:33:39 AM EDT by sgtstinger]
If it doesn't have a serial number, then it was made before the Gun Control Act of 1968 took effect.

AND...it was imported by Iver Johnson.

Sorry I couldn't help you more...
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 7:39:42 AM EDT
For many, many years, the Italians have had a "cottage industry" in the area of Brescia making very nice shotguns and parts for them to be assembled elsewhere. The "cycle works" part of the Iver Johnson ID may well give you a date indication as to when they imported the gun...check some IJ collector's sites if you can find any. The serial #s of many doubles are on the receiver underneath the barrels if you have not looked there yet. It should be simple to take off the fore end, then "break" the barrels and ease them down and off of the receiver so you can see any markings in there. Certainly there should be proof marks, etc.

Sounds like a very good trade for you.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:51:46 AM EDT

Thanks for the info everyone. I knew ar15.com would have plenty of people who knew about it.

I am very happy with the shotgun. You can't buy a gun for $100 hardly.

I took the handguards off and found some serial numbers. Also found on the internet more info about the gun. basically it was made between 68 and 74 when they stopped production.

Thanks again and if you have anymore info, I would love to hear it.

Top Top