Posted: 7/5/2002 6:29:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#1]
[beer]

...next look up GOA
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#2]
It's about time, Son.

Now get ready to be bombarded with more propoganda then 10 Jahova's witnesses on Meth.

Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome Brother!

[8D]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Great!!! Everybody here ought to be a member.

Now, help me kick the current leadership in the ass.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's about time, Son.

Now get ready to be bombarded with more propoganda then 10 Jahova's witnesses on Meth.

View Quote

Preach the word!
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Great first step.

Now go out and vote "like a gun owner".
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#7]
It's about time, rally around the flag.

Everyone here should be a member.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yep, I just joined.
View Quote

Dip weed!
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:45:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Just joined the NRA myself. I actually joined the GOA first, as I have been a bit skeptical about the some of the pussy footing with the NRA. But decided to go ahead and join. Maybe if more "assault rifle" owners join, they'll make more of an effort on our part.

I could be wrong. But it was worth the few dollars for a membership to find out.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep, I just joined.
View Quote

Dip weed!
View Quote

Hey I'm a senior in highschool and just now got around to it, so what if im lazy:)
View Quote

No dude your a dip weed for piss'n away your $30.
The NRA could give a crap about you if you don't eat deer 3 times a day and use a five shoot mag.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#14]
They get my $35/year and no more, until I can afford suits as nice as the ones Wayne LaPierre wears.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The NRA could give a crap about you if you don't eat deer 3 times a day and use a five shoot mag.
View Quote

Better than pissin the money away on something worthless.  You think NRA is crap?  Even if they don't fully support us or go after the crap laws full force, they do excellent things.  Teaching and competitions.  That is what they started with and don't you think that is worth some $.  If more people donated maybe they could be even stronger.

Link Posted: 7/5/2002 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 7:45:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Wise choice, been a member since 1973!!
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Maybe a tacked thread for all the new and current NRA members from [b]AR15.com[/b]

WE HAVE THE [b]POWER[/b].
[dracula][dracula][dracula]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 11:31:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Great!!! Everybody here ought to be a member.

Now, help me kick the current leadership in the ass.
View Quote

Unfortunately you have to be a member for 5 years or join as a lifetime member to vote for the board, right?

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 11:54:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
smarty_pants,

State your case without resorting to name calling.

ColonelKlink,

Good for you!

However, when the finances allow it, go join the GOA and then JPFO as back ups![:D]
View Quote

The NRA is a self-perpetuating lobbying organization.  If they spent the money they do paying the damn Board of Directors, making three different maqazines that are essentially the same content, and sending me junkmail each week asking for more money then they would get something done.  Unfortunately, if they got something done there would be little reason for the NRA as it stands today to exist.  Sure, they could still train police and teach gun safety to kids, but they would not be the 800lb gorilla they are now.

They have a very pro-hunting stand and most other gun uses are downplayed.  I have noticed they are starting to focus a little more on guns for defense purposes, but they still only acknowledge a section of the law abiding gun culture.  Sure, their 2001 literature mentions the AW ban and it's sunset date, but I haven't seen anything from them illustrating that they are actively doing anything right now to stop a new one from being put in place in 2004.

If you're going to join the NRA, then good for you.  I'm a member as well.  But I don't trust them.  And if you're going to join the NRA, I highly suggest joining the GOA and JPFO as well.  Three large gun rights groups are much better than one that doesn't seem to be operating in [b]my[/b] best interest or anyone else who believes the second amendment means what it says.  And if I see a picture of Charlston Heston or any other NRA staff member with an open over/under shotgun slung over their shoulder and a hunting dog I think I'll puke.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 12:06:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 2:28:05 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

i hate it when a gun owner puts down another gun owner for donating to the most powerful legislative voice we have.

could you imagine what life would be like if we didn't have the NRA, GOA, etc?????? at least Klink did what should be done by every gun owner. also, nobody said we had to like every move / comment they made, but damnit, at least they're on our side, more than i can say for A LOT of politicians that swore before God to protect the constitution.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 2:41:01 AM EDT
[#24]
ColKlink good job, you WILL get bombarded with mailers but it is still the best pro gun movement we have and just the sheer number of members gives politicians and non gunners reasons to wonder.
SmartyPants and those like him are about as aware of the big picture as a puppy. I get First Freedom and usually read the other mags and although there is quite a bit of common content I must disagree that the NRA is primarily geared to hunters rights. I see it as quite the opposite. I see them more concerned with the second ammendment first and foremost and then then shooting sports/collecting with hunting being only slightly less prominant. The NRA makes no bones that gun rights are not about hunting rights. Interesting how people can look at the same things and see them so differently. Isnt this a great country.
The NRA isnt perfect but its the BEST we have at the moment. The GOA gets a donation from me as well so Im not totally biased.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 3:04:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Good for you.

Link Posted: 7/6/2002 3:17:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Good for you ColonelKlink. I've only been a member for 4 years myself, even though I'm more than twice your age.

Take the guys' advice and join GOA and JPFO if you can afford it. You don't have to be Jewish to join JPFO and I think most people are not.

If there's a state organization, you might want to join it as well. We have CRPA here in CA.

Be prepared to be deluged with mail from the NRA. They spend a small fortune trying to get you to donate money, and if you make the mistake (not really a mistake) of joining at a higher level, like Life Member or Golden Eagles, they assume you have more money or are willing to spend more money, and bother you even more.

I joined the Golden Eagles thinking it would help them more to have $200 a year than a single life membership fee, but they still ask for donations every month. I give to selected promotions, but not to all.

Anyway, the NRA is a good outfit, but they are not the only game in town and the smaller organizations are sometimes less included to make a deal with the enemy (sell out). Overall, however, they do a good job.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 4:42:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 5:08:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Good decision, Colonel
Money well spent!
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 5:28:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:23:52 AM EDT
[#30]
ColonelKlink: Welcome to the club, I've been a life member for more than 10 years. True the NRA is not all things to all all people, but they are a lot closer to national orgazniation than most. True there are other 2nd Amend rights organization out there, but all of those memberships combine don't even come close to the NRA's. Your're going to get a lot of solitications for money, but you're not obligated to donate, but donate what/when you can.

As for protecting your 2nd Amend rights, campaign for a pro-gun person or against an anti-gunner in the next election.

You will find out also, that Chuck Heston NRA chief, is on both the most admired and the most hated person in the USA list. You will also find many famous people on the NRA's board. Check it out sometimes. Olivie North, comes to my mind at the moment. The jet fighter pilot who got shot down over Bosnia a few ago, forget him name though.

I always wear my NRA hat to piss off the anti-gunners. Try going into to Borders Books with your NRA hat, and you will get a few stares, mission accomplished.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:28:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Glad to hear you joined. Don't pay any attention to the folks who say they won't spend there money on them. They just haven't woken up to reality yet.
View Quote

Well, I woke up to the reality that NRA is selling out black rifle people and ANYONE with more than a shotgun / bolt-action. Those people at the range who look at you and say, "What do you need THAT for?".  That's the mainstream NRA now.

Did you ever hear someone talking about being delayed on the so-called "instant" check?  Or follow the fact that the FBI is keeping the records from that system much longer than their supposed to?  Well thank Wayne Pierre for THAT.

So earlier this year I joined GOA as a life member, already belonging to the state organization that shares their no-compromise approach.

My NRA membership expired a couple of months ago, which brings up another point.  I joined many years ago, but I can't vote.  

Why? because you have to have 5 uninterrupted years of continuous membership, and with all the crap junk mail they send you, including renewal forms that seem to come 6 months before your membership expires, it's easy to screw up and let your membership lapse.  Realistically, if you want to vote, you have to be a life member.  

And they piss me off too much for me to do that.

I may renew to get free gun show admission, but that's going to be at the minimum level, and all those entrenched fat asses at NRA HQ can kiss mine.

They especially pimp Kalifornistan members.  In a rape analogy, they would be the ones holding our legs while Don Perata and Burton take turns shoving it deep.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:40:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 7:11:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 7:12:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 7:22:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Welcome aboard.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They especially pimp Kalifornistan members.  In a rape analogy, they would be the ones holding our legs while Don Perata and Burton take turns shoving it deep.
View Quote

You can blame the situation in California on the gunowners in California. If the vast majority of gun owners in that state were willing to put the fight that was nescassary you probably wouldn't be in that mess.
View Quote

Hear! Hear! That is a correst assesment. I worked on the Geof Metcalf organized referendum to overturn SB23 the new AW ban, and some Kalifornian shooters refused to sign because they didn't want to become involved, or they don't involve themselves in politics, etc, especially some of the 50cal & SASS shooters.

People should still join the NRA, because politico look at numbers, the more the better.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 9:04:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Like someone said, if just half of all gun owners in the US were NRA members, there is no end to the unconstitutional laws we could get repealed, going all the way back to NFA 1934. Money talks, bullshit walks.
View Quote

How can this be, when NRA helped write most anti-gun legislation on the books??
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like someone said, if just half of all gun owners in the US were NRA members, there is no end to the unconstitutional laws we could get repealed, going all the way back to NFA 1934. Money talks, bullshit walks.
View Quote

How can this be, when NRA helped write most anti-gun legislation on the books??
View Quote

They helped write some of the legislation because the legislators were under tremendous pressure to pass more gun laws especially under Bill Clinton's rein. Sometimes the NRA can't prevent the legislation from passing, so it can at least it can limit its damage. Example, during the "ban the armor piercing bullet" controversy, they changed the legislation to affect only handguns AP bullets, otherwise it would have banned much of the hunting bullets. I think at that time, the definition of an armor piercing bullet was any bullet that can penetrate a bullet-proof vest.

How many organizations has the stature to go against the like of Chuck Schumer, Diane Fienstein, Barbara Boxer? I few years back I spoke with the founder of JFPO, and even he is an NRA member. Bill C. railed against the gunners/NRA for losing control of the House & Senate in '94, and of course the 2000 elections.

The NRA is not perfect, but they are best we got at the moment.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
smarty_pants,

State your case without resorting to name calling.

ColonelKlink,

Good for you!

However, when the finances allow it, go join the GOA and then JPFO as back ups![:D]
View Quote

What is your deal?
If I wanted to "name call" there are lots of names other than Dip weed,it's a joke.

It's funny the way some people love the NRA the, it's like black people and Dims.

BTW:iF If I want to typeo and put ten Os in shot then thats ok,try not to lose any sleeeep.

PS:I was a lifer in the NRA but they could never talk to me if it was not abut more money.
I told them to keep there stuff I would have to do nothing about my rights with out a cool hat and mags full of S&W ads.

Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:45:48 PM EDT
[#44]
I think NRA-ILA does a lot for California behind the scenes, with all their law suits and such. You don't hear much about it, but if you go on their web site they list all that they've done. And CRPA partners with them on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If the NRA was so in favor of the ban why would they successfully lobby to repeal it?
View Quote

Membership $$$$......Follow the money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top