Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2009 12:09:30 PM EDT
My face is still numb and feels like its 3 sizes to big. What can i expect when the novacane wears off?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to the liquor store now.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#2]
PAIN.

Take plenty of the Vicodin or whatever you were prescribed by your dentist. Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:15:01 PM EDT
[#3]
A conscious decision to brush better.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't expect to chew right away. LOL When I had mine done my dentist did it and was unable to deaden my jaw with novocaine, or anything else for that matter. He would work on me and then let me rest and then work some more. He said he would never do anything more invasive that a simple tooth filling on me again. I have to go to an oral surgeon. That was some painful shit. I left finger indentations in his chair. Apparently some people have this problem and I'm one of the lucky few. One tip, if they gave you vicodin take advil with it. Vicodin has tylenol in it and you need the advil for inflammation. Maybe an icepack. Good luck.  It only hurts until the pain goes away...
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Lots of ibuprofen.  If that doesn't work hopefully they gave you the Vicodin.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A conscious decision to brush better.

This is the truth.  After that I started flossing religiously and my new dentist said everything was looking good on my checkup.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:29:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Guess I must be a tough guy then. I've had a couple root canals. I went diving within 4-5 hours after the 1st one with no issues.
Also no pain with the 2nd one. The injection sites or the gumline tends to irritate me a little bit but nothing that I can't just ignore.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#8]
To quote Clubber Lang from Rocky III ....

PAIN

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Tag for horror stories as I'm about to get one in December...

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#10]
He didint give me an scrips the asshole. I can always use some vicodin or some percs . i can already feel these shooting sharp jabs of pain every now and again. I hadn't been to a dentit in five years and decided to get the old chops cleaned up today. He said my teeth were really clean, but this one tooth that had a filling in it from a long time ago was just totally dead. I eas hoping to get me one of them fancy gold teefes
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:39:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Drink an ice cold beer from a mug –––– then get back to us with the results.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#12]
you'll be OK, everyone's a little different but normally one or two aleve and you'll be fine by the next day....or not.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
you'll be OK, everyone's a little different but normally one or two aleve and you'll be fine by the next day....or not.

you should be ok. I had a root canal done in early October. It wasnt bad at all. The 4 wisdom teeth that got extracted 5 days later was an ordeal however....

the left side of my tongue is still tingly. Its slowly coming back. The shots they give you can really do some damage if they are injected in the wrong place (in the nerve).

my advice is to just give it time and stay away from google. The horror stories you'll find there sure wont help.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
He didint give me an scrips the asshole. I can always use some vicodin or some percs . i can already feel these shooting sharp jabs of pain every now and again. I hadn't been to a dentit in five years and decided to get the old chops cleaned up today. He said my teeth were really clean, but this one tooth that had a filling in it from a long time ago was just totally dead. I eas hoping to get me one of them fancy gold teefes

Fuuuu that didn't give yoiu anything my ass! I would not have left that office till I had a script for at least vicodin. Especially since its the weekend. What a fuckhead of a dentist.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#15]
You don't need RX painkillers.  

It is a little sore at the very worst.  Take some Tylenol.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You don't need RX painkillers.  
It is a little sore at the very worst.  Take some Tylenol.  

Please. I love me percs

ETA. my face is still totally numb. its been 3 hours
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I guess it depends on the person. I had one done when I was a teenager and I had virtually no pain afterward, just a tight feeling in the gum around the tooth that was drilled and some sensitivity. I was able to eat a hamburger the same night (chewing on the opposite side of course).
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:58:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I slept through two root canals, its no big deal.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Guess I must be a tough guy then. I've had a couple root canals. I went diving within 4-5 hours after the 1st one with no issues.
Also no pain with the 2nd one. The injection sites or the gumline tends to irritate me a little bit but nothing that I can't just ignore.

+1
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:08:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Let me think of a nice way of saying this. . .

fuck it.  If you "need" narcotics after a root canal, you're a pussy.  You would have to have a pretty big infection for me to even consider giving a narcotic after a root canal.  Take 4 Advil/Motrin/Ibuprofen and 2 Tylenol every 4-6 hours.  If that doesn't get rid of the pain, it'll at least bring it down to a tolerable level.  

Some people on this site bitch more about dental work than a lot of little kids and old ladies I've treated.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:09:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Im a dentist.  Call him up and tell him/her you are having pain and would appreciate a pain med script.  I bet they will phone it in right away without any grief.  I almost always prescribe pain meds after root canal
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:16:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I went and put 440 rounds through a mosin nagant directly following having four wisdom teeth extracted that hadn't even punched through the gumline yet.

My secret?

Orange creamcicles

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Let me think of a nice way of saying this. . .

fuck it.  If you "need" narcotics after a root canal, you're a pussy.  You would have to have a pretty big infection for me to even consider giving a narcotic after a root canal.  Take 4 Advil/Motrin/Ibuprofen and 2 Tylenol every 4-6 hours.  If that doesn't get rid of the pain, it'll at least bring it down to a tolerable level.  

Some people on this site bitch more about dental work than a lot of little kids and old ladies I've treated.
It is not just this site, it is all over.

Can't even tell you how many times I have heard people crying over a tooth ache.  Irritates me a lot.  

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#24]
They gave me ibuprofen when I had mine done. Didn't do much to lessen the pain, but did help the swelling a bit.
Two weeks later I had my wisdom teeth taken out at a different office. When I had trouble sleeping due to sharp pains in my jaw, the surgeon wrote me a scrip for Flexeril(muscle/skeletal anti-inflammatory and relaxant). I will never take Flexeril again in my life, had me messed up for days. Not in a fun way either, I just felt WRONG.
The sharp pains were apparently caused by some pretty large chunks of jagged bone and tooth that the surgeon left in my jaw.

Hurt like hell, but once they worked their way close to the surface of the gum, I ripped those bitches out with needle-nose pliers.
Only have a pic of the smallest bone fragment I pulled though:

If that is considered to be graphic content let me know, I'll take it down

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Not so bad.  My major complaint on both mine was having to have a temporary crown and then come back and get the permanent one put on later.

One of them sucked because he had to go in and kill the roots and I wasn't fully numb.  That was a toe curler.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This...

I've had a few root canals too.  No big deal.  No Vicodin or Percodan necessary.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top