Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/14/2004 4:27:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/14/2004 4:54:01 PM EST by Dave_A]
I just got a call from my recruiter today - I've been selected for Army OCS...

All that's left is to sign the contract, swear in (tomorrow at 10:30AM), and wait to go to basic training (Army makes everyone attend BCT, even officer candidates - the difference is I go to OCS instead of AIT)...

Edited because I got AM/PM wrong... Should have just pot 1030 & left it at that.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:28:16 PM EST
Congrats ya wannabe Looo tenant
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:28:57 PM EST

Originally Posted By Dave_A:

All that's left is to sign the contract, swear in (tomorrow at 10:30PM), and wait to go to basic training (Army makes everyone attend BCT, even officer candidates - the difference is I go to OCS instead of AIT)...

Congrats ! Go Airborne when you can.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:30:12 PM EST
w00t!!!

Congrates butterbars!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:30:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/14/2004 4:31:32 PM EST by Dave_A]

Originally Posted By wetidlerjr:

All that's left is to sign the contract, swear in (tomorrow at 10:30PM), and wait to go to basic training (Army makes everyone attend BCT, even officer candidates - the difference is I go to OCS instead of AIT)...

I requested Aromr, actually... Not much need for paratrooper tank commanders, since pigs fly better than the Abrams...
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:32:55 PM EST
Congrats!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:35:01 PM EST
Congrats, Both my Marine brother in-laws went to OCS
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:35:50 PM EST
HOOAH!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:37:44 PM EST
congratulations AR
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:37:47 PM EST

I requested Aromr, actually... Not much need for paratrooper tank commanders, since pigs fly better than the Abrams...

What about the Sheridan units? Do they still do those heavy drops in Airborne Divisions?

I'm not even sure - but I think those guys are tankers (MOS-Q).

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:38:59 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:43:51 PM EST
Sheridans have been retired a few years now. I hear that 4 of the cancelled prototype M8 AGS somehow found their way into active field use, and are over in the big sandbox as we speak.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:45:15 PM EST

Originally Posted By Unknown1Sailor:
Sheridans have been retired a few years now. I hear that 4 of the cancelled prototype M8 AGS somehow found their way into active field use, and are over in the big sandbox as we speak.

Thank you!

My knowledge is out of date.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:46:13 PM EST

Great! Maybe the military can beat the liberalism out of ya! In all seriousness, Good luck and happy hunting! Planerench out.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:46:16 PM EST
Hooah! Glad to hear it!

Put in a good word for the XM8 will ya
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:50:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By Planerench:

Great! Maybe the military can beat the liberalism out of ya! In all seriousness, Good luck and happy hunting! Planerench out.

Thanks, I think...

And if I'm a liberal, it's news to me...

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:53:27 PM EST

Originally Posted By Planerench:

Thanks, I think...

And if I'm a liberal, it's news to me...

It's late. Bad humor. Forgive me and bring me a set of Al Qeida ears. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:54:01 PM EST
Good lucking with getting an Armor slot.

Not to discourage you, but OCS traditionally gets the "leftovers" after officers are accessed from West Point and ROTC. The system itself changes so often, though, that there is no telling whether this means there will be few Armor slots or not. Just don't be too pissed off if you can't get it - and be the best Quartermaster, Chemical, or Transportation officer you can be should you end up with such.

You are right, there are no Airborne Armor units anymore - the Sheridans left a long time ago, and were never replaced (there are, however, airborne Quartermaster, Chemical, and Transportation companies ).
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:56:17 PM EST

Originally Posted By Adam_White:
Good lucking with getting an Armor slot.

Not to discourage you, but OCS traditionally gets the "leftovers" after officers are accessed from West Point and ROTC. The system itself changes so often, though, that there is no telling whether this means there will be few Armor slots or not. Just don't be too pissed off if you can't get it - and be the best Quartermaster, Chemical, or Transportation officer you can be should you end up with such.

You are right, there are no Airborne Armor units anymore - the Sheridans left a long time ago, and were never replaced (there are, however, airborne Quartermaster, Chemical, and Transportation companies ).

I'll take whatever they give me...

However I've been told that if you ask for combat arms right now (My top 4 choices were Armor, Artillery, Intellegence, MP), you will likely get it...

But as I said above, I'll take whatever I can get...
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:58:04 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:58:14 PM EST
Should've asked for infantry. You'll regret it later.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:02:15 PM EST
Cogratulations!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:08:11 PM EST
Congrats

If you have to go something other than armor, go Quartermaster. I beleive Quartermaster is elligeble for Ranger School and Airborn School.

Good Luck and God Bless.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:12:33 PM EST

Originally Posted By paenutz:
HOOAH!

hey, I was going to give a big hooah.

congrats!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:14:58 PM EST
Congratulations Dave!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:21:34 PM EST
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:30:44 PM EST

I requested Armor, actually... Not much need for paratrooper tank commanders, since pigs fly better than the Abrams...

Congradulations! I hope you get a spot in the Arm of Decision. Death before Dismount! Why walk when you can ride?

My beast at NTC back when I was a platoon leader:

Originally Posted By Adam_White:

Actually, although there are not Airborne tank units, there are still a couple slots for Armor officers in the 82nd. They still have a scout troop that evolved when the Sheridans were retired - like the HMMWV-mounted Brigade Reconnaissance Teams (BRTs). Only one company command slot at Bragg for tankers. So you can still go Airborne if you want, but it's pretty competitive.

You can also get posted to Hawaii, Polk, or Drum where there are no tanks in sight - you'll be HMMWV mounted. Not for me - I'm a heavy tanker...

Dave
Top Top