Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2003 5:15:41 PM EDT
Finally got my pistol permit after a YEAR of waiting.  Took them from this time last year until now for me to finally get cleared.  Clean record, not even a parking ticket, and yet it took over a year.  Anyway, byegones...

My question is this.  I need a quality handgun with good stopping power AND the ability to fit into the rather small hands of my fiance.  Since it will take another eternity to get anotehr pistol permit, I want a gun that fits all the roles i.e. self defense, target shooting accuracy AND something that my gal can learn to shoot on.

I was looking at the p97 by Ruger and my brother said to stay away from a service piece for my first gun.  Willing to spend a bit more than that for my first weapon.. nothing crazy, let's say $750 tops.

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Take a look at a Walther P99 in .40S&W.  Good stopping power, great ergonomics made better by 3 different backstraps, you'll probably find one that fits both of you.

Accurate shooter, very reliable.

The slide and barrel is tennifer-treated just like Glocks and damn near indestructable.

Another option would be a Sprinfield XD.  Lots of choices 3,4 and 5 inch barrels, compensated, 9mm, .357SIG and .40S&W.  Cheap mags and one hell of shooter to boot.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#2]
are you sure you can't spring for a Kimber Ultra CDP.  or anything in the Kimber line.  they are the best.  once you carry one you will throw rocks at Rugers.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:41:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:52:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Haha, funny you should mention the Kimber, 308... That's what my Twin brother Vassago bought for his first gun...  Probably took your advice.  He loves it too.

I'm not that hip on firearms, although now that I have the permit I'll be delving into the boards a bit more to see what I can learn.

I THINK he has the Kimber you mentioned... that's the .45 right?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree with Airwolf.What I cannot understand is the length of time for a pistol permit.To my knowledge, once you receive your FIREARMS license, ( which I've waited 3 months to receive), a permit to purchase a pistol shall be in your hands within 30 days  after you apply for it and you can get as many as you like, they are valid for 90 days.Seems to me that your local police dept.(I'm assuming that's where you applied)sat your file. I hope you have better luck next time. BTH

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:09:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Re: Wait time...

That's exactly what happened.  The records lady blamed it on 9/11 for about 6 months, then said that I didn't print well and would have to get reprinted.

They just fired her a couple months ago, so after harassing the detective and threatening legal action, I'm finally getting my firearms license and the pistol permit to go with it.

In fact, I have to go pick them up yet, and it occurs to me that he only said 'license' and not permit.  God, they may have only given me the one.  I need to go to a 'shall issue' state and be done with it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Suggestions?
View Quote

Move to PA.

On topic, I really do like my USP .45F. It's a nice gun. The whole USP series is nice. I like how it feels. The compacts are good too, since you worry about your fiance. The UTL is nice, just fits right on there. You can get the Full size in .45, 9mm, and .40 SW. The compacts come in .45, 9mm, .40SW and .357 Sig. I got the Varient 1, so I can carry cocked and locked, or hammer down safety off, depending on how I feel that day.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:28:44 PM EDT
[#8]
No wonder !! I deal with a Detective whose responsible for issueing permits and he is just been fantastic.Again Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:36:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Since you are in NJ, that means you won't be able to use hollowpoints, so I suggest that whatever gun you decide to get, make sure the caliber is .45.

Of course, you could always get a round butt, 4" 629 44 Magnum, and use 44 Special loads for your g/f. Plenty of stopping power there.

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#10]
if you get another permit,you can get as many as you want, within a year of the date, you do not have to go through the background check again. You should go and put in for another one or two. The permit is good for 90 days and can be renewed for 90 more days. I often get an extra one, just in case.That way you can get a .22 or a good used handgun. NJ is greatfor used handguns, most people hardly shoot theirs. I picked up a HI power for $400 That did not have nay wear, the magazinedid not have any scratches on t.

As for a first gun, go shooting with someone or go to a range where you can rent one. Personally I prefer.45s Colt than Para Ordance. revolvers are also lots of fun and are real easy on brass.

I have some COlt .357 that are great and I paid $250 for the most expensive one. Hi Powers shoot like a dream, 9mm might not be the mostpotent, but it is cheap to shot and you will want to do lots of that.

Where aboutst do you live in jerzy?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#13]
WTF is this license to buy crap?  Up here in NH you only have to be old enough, and pass a background check at the time of purchase.  The permit to carry (not restricted to concealed) is $10 and 14 days waiting ... good for 4 years.

It's great living in a very gun-friendly state, you should look into it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:33:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I compared all of them, and the HK compact was the only one my wife could rack back.  Great quality, and the grip seems nice on them to.  Several for sale in the exchange in the 550 to 700 price range.

Consider a 9mm or .40, many girls will not enjoy shooting a .45

Opinions on these anybody?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:42:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
WTF is this license to buy crap?  Up here in NH you only have to be old enough, and pass a background check at the time of purchase.  The permit to carry (not restricted to concealed) is $10 and 14 days waiting ... good for 4 years.

It's great living in a very gun-friendly state, you should look into it.
View Quote

That's why I got my Non-Resident. I go up there every once in a while. The only tricky thing is making it through Massachusetts. What an assclown state that is.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 12:14:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Im so glad i dont live in the PRNJ anymore.  Hell, i dont even go back to visit family.

Ben, The_Emu
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 3:33:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#18]
JHP are Legal to shoot with in NJ. Go to Ray's Sport Shop in No. Plainfield and buy some, or anywhere else for that matter. Check Evan Nappans book, they are legal to own and target shoot with.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#19]
In Virginia I got my CCW in less then 45 days. I had to fill out the paperwork and fingerprint cards, and then submit them to the local courthouse. I got notified by mail about a month later to come down with a valid photo ID(i.e. drivers license) to pick it up. I think the total cost was about $50 and it is good for 5 years. The only restriction on gun purchases here is you have to be over 21, can only purchases 1 handgun a month and pass the background check. Other than that you can have at it. I feel sorry that you have to go through all of this BS just to purchase a gun, it is ridicules.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:42:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Finally got my pistol permit after a YEAR of waiting.  Took them from this time last year until now for me to finally get cleared.  Clean record, not even a parking ticket, and yet it took over a year.  Anyway, byegones...

My question is this.  I need a quality handgun with good stopping power AND the ability to fit into the rather small hands of my fiance.  Since it will take another eternity to get anotehr pistol permit, I want a gun that fits all the roles i.e. self defense, target shooting accuracy AND something that my gal can learn to shoot on.

I was looking at the p97 by Ruger and my brother said to stay away from a service piece for my first gun.  Willing to spend a bit more than that for my first weapon.. nothing crazy, let's say $750 tops.

Suggestions?
View Quote

Why did you not apply for more than one permit.  You can get up to 6.

As per your question, post in the handgun forum.  You will get better replies.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There is no difference between in stopping power between a FMJ .45 and FMJ 9mm.  Both are about 65%.
View Quote
Sure, there isn't[rolleyes].  Sheesh.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
[red]NJ = no J.H.P. ammo = .45 caliber[/red]

And, believe me, there IS a significant difference between the effectiveness of 9mm and .45 ball.
View Quote

What?  JHP are perfectly legal in New Jersey. It's when they are used in the commission of a crime, there is an extra offense.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Stupid question...

What happens to someone with several pistols when they move to NJ?
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 10:08:36 PM EDT
[#24]
you are arrested and summarily executed for the crimes you MIGHT have committed.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 1:19:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I compared all of them, and the HK compact was the only one my wife could rack back.  Great quality, and the grip seems nice on them to.  Several for sale in the exchange in the 550 to 700 price range.

Consider a 9mm or .40, many girls will not enjoy shooting a .45

Opinions on these anybody?
View Quote

IMHO, one of the finest pistols non-custom pistols currently being made.  Unfortunately, they are a bit pricey and, at times, somewhat difficult to find.

They are generally a nice size except that the slide is a bit wide and can make concealment a little more difficult for some folks.  For a pistol with a double stack magazine, the grip is fairly small and well suited for a female with small hands.

My biggest complaint (because it is so utterly inexcusable) is that the cocking serrations on the slide are few, and are very shallow and slippery.  

My experience is mostly with the .45 USP-C, which is probably the most accurate .45 I’ve ever shot.  It holds 8+1 rounds and, as [b]spade[/b] mentioned, has the ability (with the most common trigger group) to let you carry it either in traditional DA/SA mode or cocked and locked.

The polymer frame and the use of a polymer bushing in the recoil spring guide together seem to cushion the recoil – but it’s still a .45!

The 9MM and 40 S&W USP-C are a bit smaller and, of course, have blocked off post-ban magazines limiting the capacity to 10 rounds.  Hi cap preban USP-C magazines are not legally available (though they can be found!).

Hopefully this won’t be an issue for most of us in a little over a year – but I’m thinking it might still be an issue for NJ residents.

New USP-C’s go for about $700 or a bit less here at gun shows, no doubt they’re more in gun stores.

I’m not sure that H&K USP-C’s are that much better than some of the cheaper pistols out there – but they are truly fine pistols!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 2:04:31 AM EDT
[#26]
I think I got my CT CCW in 3 weeks.

And I got my NH CCW in 1.5 weeks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top