Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2002 4:23:38 PM EDT
I left this with them at the BRC to have their 'Snow Camo' job done to it.  I can say that the rifle is beautiful and I will definitely be having more of my rifles finished in different designs.

Now, there is one little problem.[:(]  Let's see who is the first to spot it...

Fresh out of the box, still in the wrap:
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/FMJunkie%2FIM000317%2Ejpg[/img]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/FMJunkie%2FIM000318%2Ejpg[/img]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/FMJunkie%2FIM000319%2Ejpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Does it snow in NJ?

Stepped-init
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:29:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmm, painting the front site seems not to play into the scheme, should've left it black like the rear.  They left the safety off.  

That's all I see.

About the Muzzle break, I noticed that but I do not believe they would take it off for a simple refinishing.  It would be a waste of time (a big waste of time) to take it off, so it must have been installed like that at an earlier date.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:35:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Rob, is your muzzel brake rotated? or is that the way its supposed to be?
View Quote

BINGO!!

I have to say that I am a bit perplexed as to how it happened...  Either they removed the 'permanently mounted' brake and reinstalled or there is no gas coming through the gas tube?

I'm not quite sure what to do about.  I think the finish itself is incredible.  They did a really nice job.  However, I am not happy about having to send the upper back to them to be fixed.  (I've already been without the rifle since the BRC)  Oh well, I will talk to them tomorrow.

Here's a close up of the problem:
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/FMJunkie%2FIM000322%2Ejpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hmm, painting the front site seems not to play into the scheme, should've left it black like the rear.  They left the safety off.  

That's all I see.

About the Muzzle break, I noticed that but I do not believe they would take it off for a simple refinishing.  It would be a waste of time (a big waste of time) to take it off, so it must have been installed like that at an earlier date.
View Quote

Nope, they must have removed it.  See:

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/FMJunkie%2FPicture%2Ejpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Does it snow in NJ?

Stepped-init
View Quote

Not sure if this is a smart-ass remark or not so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.  Yes, it does snow in NJ.  Some years more than others but, it does.

However, its not for Jersey.  Its for trips to Colorado.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Uhh, boy, not to criticize LCW (too harshly) because I happened to take a liking to them at the BRC, however, reinstalling that muzzle break WILL require it to be refinshed again...(high heat required in permantely attaching the muzzle break will destroy the finish or miscolor it, no matter how good his paint is)  Not only that, putting it on wrong is a stupid (and highly noticable) mistake.  Taking it off in the first place was a mistake and unneccessary, why paint threads your going to solder on anyway?

It must have been the intern.  LCW does great work, I'm peeing my pants trying to save for some of their paint.  Do we get an explanation for this?
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do we get an explanation for this?
View Quote

I've noticed they do not frequent the board much at all so we'll see if someone happens by but, I will certainly post whatever they tell me on the phone tomorrow night when I get home from work.

I am sitting here scratching my head about this too.  I mean, honest mistakes happen and that's ok as long as its made right but???  I agree, this is something pretty hard to miss...
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Is that muzzlebrake just threaded on? If so just remove it carefully remove any coating on threaded end of the brake. Used to have to do it all the, time after receiving guns from Robar, in order to time the muzzlebrakes properly. But that's if the brake is threaded on.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#10]
See, that's the problem.  This is a post-ban, permanently pinned and welded brake.  Which it appears to be still since I can make out the raised patch under the paint where the weld is.  I guess they rewelded it back on.  I will post more info when I get it from them tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#11]
can't they just drill out the welded pin, without going too far as to penetrate the barrel, rotate the mofo, re-pin and weld?
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
See, that's the problem.  This is a post-ban, permanently pinned and welded brake.  Which it appears to be still since I can make out the raised patch under the paint where the weld is.  I guess they rewelded it back on.  I will post more info when I get it from them tomorrow.
View Quote

In that case I'd send it back, no question about it! [:(] That sucks though.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
can't they just drill out the welded pin, without going too far as to penetrate the barrel, rotate the mofo, re-pin and weld?
View Quote

I don't think so. Somebody asked about this on Armalite's forums a while back, and Armalite said, if I recall correctly, it would be a bitch and half, and might break something and that you and even gunsmiths should leave it alone.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks great.

Do you have a link to LCW?

If you don't mind sharing, how much did it cost?
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#15]
FMJunkie, looks nice. DVDtracker just got back his Serbu (and some other things [:O]) from Lauer, and it looks pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 6:36:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Hmmm, still got that second A4 upper sitting around for the AR10?   Just send your upper assembly back instead of the complete rifle, retain the lower assembly and use with the A4 upper in the mean time.

It's just strange that they'd take the muzzle brake off.   Only reason I would want to take the muzzle brake off on a postban gun is to remove the front sight, say in the installation of a freefloat tube.

as for camo'd AR10s, here's mine
[img]http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/AR10A4od.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Looks great.

Do you have a link to LCW?

If you don't mind sharing, how much did it cost?
View Quote

[url]http://www.lauerweaponry.com[/url]

I believe the cost would normally be up to $400 but, they had a BRC special going at $250.  I can tell you that at $250 I think I got a deal.  

As long as they are good about fixing this little boo-boo, which I am sure they will be, I will most definitely have another rifle done at the full price.

One thing you can't see from the pics is that the finish is everywhere.  Inside the receivers, in the magwell, on the heat shields inside the handguards (the disassembled them and painted each piece), its really a thorough job!
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 6:51:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
[img]http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/AR10A4od.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Hopefully Never Posted By uglygun:
Well, I thought I set my rifle down somewhere near here
--or--
Dude, where's my rifle?"
View Quote

With a outstanding paint job like that, you should really consider changing your User ID!

Semper Fi
Dave
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 7:03:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#21]
AR10's don't have forward assists?

that's the first problem I see
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top