Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2007 11:38:56 AM EDT
Asides from them having cool toys they only use the good ammo and leave the brass behind.
Usually all I find is Wolf steel cases in the bin but this time it was full of .308 Black Hills redbox and a few .223.
They didn't want me taking pics of them training but were fine with me hanging out and watching.
They had a DPMS .308, a really nice DSA FAL, and 2 remington model 700 with some nice glass on it.

My booty for the day. I know it isn't alot but at least it's good stuff.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice haul!
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I went to the local sherriff's range and was specifically told that I couldn't bring out any brass that didn't come out of my own gun.  Otherwise I could have picked up a ton of .308 and .223 brass.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I went to the local sherriff's range and was specifically told that I couldn't bring out any brass that didn't come out of my own gun.  Otherwise I could have picked up a ton of .308 and .223 brass.

I don't reload, but I have access to the dept's range.  Tons of brass that doesn't get picked up until someone has to complete community service.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Very cool.

What i think is funny is they dont want there pics taken but they would jump at a chance to be on a show like Dallas SWAT.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:55:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't reload, but I have access to the dept's range.  Tons of brass that doesn't get picked up until someone has to complete community service.

How many pm's did you just get?  
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I was at Tulsa Red Castle Gun Club a few months ago watching Tulsa County Sheriff's Office "SOT Team" ..."snipers" qualifying at 100 yards (dear GOD!)

There was not one poor bastard on the firing line that could hold minute-of-coffee-cup groups...<patterns?>

and they walked off and left about 500 rounds of empty Federal Gold Match .308 laying all over the place (TRCGC donates the range time to them. At least they could have cleaned up after themselves...
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Asides from them having cool toys they only use the good ammo and leave the brass behind.
Usually all I find is Wolf steel cases in the bin but this time it was full of .308 Black Hills redbox and a few .223.
They didn't want me taking pics of them training but were fine with me hanging out and watching.
They had a DPMS .308, a really nice DSA FAL, and 2 remington model 700 with some nice glass on it.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:01:54 PM EDT
[#8]

one time I was visiting the local CLEO range and there were these three young, blonde girls shooting FA with the deputy's aide.  I inquired and found out that they were there on behalf of the coroner's office conducting tests for college  school or something like that.  It was one of those moments that you know your buddies would never believe and that you would never witness again.

For the record, they were shooting an M4, uzi, and FA Glock with the long magazine, which they surprisingly let me shoot with my own ammo.  All I had on me was nickel or whatever -cased 9mm so I was elated.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:02:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.squaregear.net/picture/p061208.jpg

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Why didn't they want their pictures taken?  They must have something to hide.  They wouldn't worry about having their pictures taken unless they had something to hide.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Why didn't they want their pictures taken?  They must have something to hide.  They wouldn't worry about having their pictures taken unless they had something to hide.

Because they're better than us unwashed masses................    
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Why didn't they want their pictures taken?

Because ARFKOM would pick on them for poor shooting stances & accuracy!
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:14:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Tulsa Red Castle has one of the only 1000 meter rifle ranges in the US, and they also have some SERIOUS "shooters" out there who can do a HEKK of a lot better than me.

The "swat team" really showed their asses in front of some REAL talent who could out shoot them on any day.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Beats the crap out of me. Private range by the way.
When I got there there were about 4 police cars, 2 Sheriffs dept cars and a sheriffs dept suburban.
The brass I sorted was plain Federal .308, BH match in .308 and a varied bunch of .223
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:21:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Collecting, cleaning and organizing spent brass is my new favorite thing to do when shooting.

It eats a good amount of time so that I shoot less in turn making me feel better about buying ammo.

It's so expensive now that you're forced to oooo and ahhh over brass.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Collecting, cleaning and organizing spent brass is my new favorite thing to do when shooting.

It eats a good amount of time so that I shoot less in turn making me feel better about buying ammo.

I don't even reload, YET
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Stewartville has their own SWAT team?

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:26:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Stewartville has their own SWAT team?

Rochester not Hooterville
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Why would they want their pictures taken?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They weren't nazis about it. I asked if I could take a few pics and they politely said no.
I won't argue with them since I was outnumbered
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Were you all decked out in tactical multicam, ninja claws, kevlar, and rapelling rig, asking how to join up? Did you say you were an ARFCOMMER while performing a jumping side roll shooting with 2 pistols?

Shame on you if you did not!
I totally would have done that and videotaped it for youtube and everybody on here.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Besides leaving behind all that nice brass.  Did they happen to leave behind any dog targets?  
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's talking about the irony of people in the world who are stopped by police and asked if they can be searched and when said no, "why not, you have something to hide?" and between the police dept. not letting you take pics.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Very cool.

What i think is funny is they dont want there pics taken but they would jump at a chance to be on a show like Dallas SWAT.

Actually lots wouldn't.

I know some guys who were approached to be on the SWAT series of shows for A&E, and their answer wasn't no...it was HELL NO.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
 Did they happen to leave behind any dog targets?  

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#29]
When I worked at Markham we rented the 'LE only' range out to numerous Law_enforcement agencies...most will remain nameless to protect the Tacti-Fools...

One agency was out qualifying with Ruger .40 Carbines...they had trouble shooting 6" to 10" groups at 100 meters.  

Another group had Accuracy international bolt actions with high-end tactical glass...they had one guy standing, sort of hunched over, with another shooter holding the rifle offhand with the bipod draped over the first guys' shoulders...doing head shots at life-sized bad guy photo-type targets...at 25 and fifteen meters....

I asked them what they were practising for, and they said they were simulating 'headshots at hostage-takers at 100 and 150 meters'....I kind of nodded and asked if they expected their targeted hostage takers to have heads 4 to 5 feet in diameter, which was what you would get if your 25-meter target was life sized.

The best, the very best, was the SWAT and Sniper team from Hialeah Florida.  Super nice group of guys.  One night an hour or so before they were going to arrive for their night-time shoot, Sgt. Duke called and asked if I could lay my hands on some .45 ACP for personal consumption.  I said, yeah, I might have a few boxes laying around.  (Like ten or twenty 50-rd boxes.)

So the four guys fromt he team show up and begin uncasing their long guns.  Sgt Duke comes up with a rather old-looking leather case and asks if I want a look.  He pulls out a mint Thompson sub-machine gun.  An overstamped "1921/28", with horizontal grip, lyman rear sight, cutts compensator, finned barrel, the works.  %0-round drums, twenty-round stick mags, the whole nine yards.  Definately one of the nicest-looking Thompsons I've seen.

"Where'd ya get this ?"  I ask, picking it up and drooling.

"We had four in the armory.  Bought them back in the early thirties (1930's) when the Hialeah Racetrack was in full swing."  The sergeant hands me some mags and asks if I can figure out how to load the drums (I have a buddy with a 1927 semi auto ordinance.)

So as we start to shoot this cherry-looking Tommy gun, I casually ask where the other three guns are.

"The chief had them destroyed."  The sergeant says the guns have been in the armory for seventy-some years and were never registered.  The BATF said they could be tranferred, but no one in the dept thought selling 'automatic machine guns' to civilians or other class III dealwers would be politically correct.

I was speechless.  I asked him if he knew what the value of a nice Thompson was (and these were freaking nice.).

"What, are they worth a couple of grand apiece ?"

I told him , no, try something like twenty to thirty thousand apiece, especially with all the original cases, mags, and paperwork.

--The saddest bunch of SWAT officers I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:40:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Honestly, do YOU want your picture taken at the range by some stranger? I sure as fuck don't.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
One agency was out qualifying with Ruger .40 Carbines...they had trouble shooting 6" to 10" groups at 100 meters.  

Ruger's pistol caliber carbines aren't known for their pinpoint accuracy.

doing head shots at life-sized bad guy photo-type targets...at 25 and fifteen meters....

Most LE sniper shots happen at fairly close ranges. You can simulate a target at a larger distance by using only a smaller portion of a life sized target.

I told him , no, try something like twenty to thirty thousand apiece, especially with all the original cases, mags, and paperwork.

--The saddest bunch of SWAT officers I've ever seen.

Somebody should fire that chief for missing out on some serious cash.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Did they mention anything about learning to use Mapquest...
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:03:01 PM EDT
[#33]
They were doing timed 3 shot drills at targets that looked like heads at 100 yards
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:03:02 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Besides leaving behind all that nice brass.  Did they happen to leave behind any dog targets?  

Don't laugh.  They make dog targets!
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#35]
I see a primer missing out of the 223 brass, it is one the upper left hand corner.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't laugh.  They make dogs' targets!

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#37]
At least they found the right address for the shooting range
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I was at Tulsa Red Castle Gun Club a few months ago watching Tulsa County Sheriff's Office "SOT Team" ..."snipers" qualifying at 100 yards (dear GOD!)

There was not one poor bastard on the firing line that could hold minute-of-coffee-cup groups...<patterns?>

and they walked off and left about 500 rounds of empty Federal Gold Match .308 laying all over the place (TRCGC donates the range time to them. At least they could have cleaned up after themselves...

i shoot a Red Castle quit a bit..
i think i know who you where talking about..

my experience didnt leave me with a safe feeling either.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:30:55 PM EDT
[#39]
  You mean they didnt back up the animal control gooseneck
and release the dogs for target practice?  I'm convinced
thats how some small towns euthanize strays.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Police Chief in a neighboring county was shooting stray cats and got in huge trouble over it.
Here is the latest development:

New Charges For Suspended Police Chief  

Chris Woodard
KTTC TV

ROCHESTER, MN -- A not guilty plea results in a local police chief looking at a whole new set of charges.

Now the punishments and the accusations are more severe.

A not guilty plea was enough for the Dodge County Attorney's Office to change their plans.

Prosecutor Gary ReMine says originally he just filed enough charges to make sure suspended West Concord Police Chief Robert Utech could never work for law enforcement again.

But he says when Utech showed no remorse at his court appearance, he says he added new charges to assure a guilty verdict.

Originally, Utech was facing charges for allegedly shooting several cats.

Some of the new accusations include telling a fellow officer it was department policy not to arrest anyone who lives in West Concord for drunken driving, tazing an innocent bystander, and openly discussing a child molestation case with the city's mayor at a local gas station.

According to the new complaint, in a taped interview Utech has admitted to shooting about 20 wild cats with a rifle that had a scope and shooting a residents dog while mayor Burton Boe was along.

Dodge County Sheriff Gary Thompson says, "I'm not surprised by the additional charges. The investigation, I think, warranted those charges but like I say, I'm not surprised to see the amended complaint come down."

Utech's attorney, Tony Spector, says he and Utech are looking forward to their day in court and are still confident they will prevail.

As for ReMine's statement about Utech showing no remorse, Spector says it's troubling and to him it shows that Utech is being punished for exercising his constitutional right to a trial.

That jury trial is scheduled to begin on October 8th.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#41]
When they came and left, did they do that awesome "hut-hut-hut-hut-hut" thing?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#42]
nope
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#43]
With the harassment that law-abiding gun owners have gotten from various newspaper outlets (eg. publishing the names of CCW holders), there's no way I'd let some gomer take pictures of me at the shooting range... I don't care who he is.

Cops have even less reason to like that kind of stalking/info-gathering behavior... I'm surprised some of you are actually complaining about it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Police Chief in a neighboring county was shooting stray cats and got in huge trouble over it.
Here is the latest development:

New Charges For Suspended Police Chief  

Chris Woodard
KTTC TV

ROCHESTER, MN -- A not guilty plea results in a local police chief looking at a whole new set of charges.

Now the punishments and the accusations are more severe.

A not guilty plea was enough for the Dodge County Attorney's Office to change their plans.

Prosecutor Gary ReMine says originally he just filed enough charges to make sure suspended West Concord Police Chief Robert Utech could never work for law enforcement again.

But he says when Utech showed no remorse at his court appearance, he says he added new charges to assure a guilty verdict.

Originally, Utech was facing charges for allegedly shooting several cats.

Some of the new accusations include telling a fellow officer it was department policy not to arrest anyone who lives in West Concord for drunken driving, tazing an innocent bystander, and openly discussing a child molestation case with the city's mayor at a local gas station.

According to the new complaint, in a taped interview Utech has admitted to shooting about 20 wild cats with a rifle that had a scope and shooting a residents dog while mayor Burton Boe was along.

Dodge County Sheriff Gary Thompson says, "I'm not surprised by the additional charges. The investigation, I think, warranted those charges but like I say, I'm not surprised to see the amended complaint come down."

Utech's attorney, Tony Spector, says he and Utech are looking forward to their day in court and are still confident they will prevail.

As for ReMine's statement about Utech showing no remorse, Spector says it's troubling and to him it shows that Utech is being punished for exercising his constitutional right to a trial.

That jury trial is scheduled to begin on October 8th.

I hope he's found not guilty for killing the cats.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't even reload, YET

]
Me neither.

Collecting the brass in hopes of reloading is the only thing that's keeping me going.

I'm to the point where I'll spend the extra $$$ and get ammo that has reloadable brass and ammo that's is non-reloadable is a waste of $$$.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
At least they found the right address for the shooting range

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top